Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
2013 Progress.
Why my artistic abilities improved in 2013. (Says who? :)
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (2 votes) 
Oliver
NC

King
Regulars
January 11, 2014 - 2:09 pm
Forum Posts: 2439
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

About a year ago I posted an audio clip of my playing and someone remarked that my playing had no "personality".  I did not take any offense at this remark because I happened to agree.  My intonation was tolerable and my timing was also reasonable but my music just was not happening.  

What learning resources are available to improve artistic ability/sound?  I know of no standard exercises or drills and, I really can't say what "artistic" means.  

Well, a few very odd things happened during the year but I will cut to the chase.  My artistic abilities have been significantly improved by bow control.  I'm making the extra effort to keep in mind all the details about good bowing.  (I also find myself using faster bow speeds and more bow.)

I think my new "talents" are simply a matter of being in better control.  ( I'm even beginning to like some of my music.)

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Picklefish
Merritt Island, Fla

Pro advisor
Members

Regulars
January 11, 2014 - 5:43 pm
Forum Posts: 1281

thats Awesome! How bout an update vid?

"Please play some wrong notes, so that we know that you are human" - said to Jascha Heifetz.

Oliver
NC

King
Regulars
January 11, 2014 - 6:32 pm
Forum Posts: 2439

I'm thinking about a follow-up but I seem to always have a problem with posts.  It's my fault.  I dislike computers and they know it.

However, I have spent my afternoon regretting something much more important.  I failed to report about strings.  When I put on a set of strings I assume they are essentially "balanced" by careful string manufacturing criteria.  That probably works OK with some limitations. Now, the violin itself will add to any uncertainty of string tone.  The moral of the story (according to me) is that the best sounding point for the set is probably NOT a straight line and, the choice of sounding point can/does add a dimension of sound "color" which encourages "artistry" or interpretation for a listener.

As a result, I now pay a lot of attention to sound/tone and where I am playing. 

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Picklefish
Merritt Island, Fla

Pro advisor
Members

Regulars
January 11, 2014 - 7:15 pm
Forum Posts: 1281

I agree with you that where you choose to bow does make a difference. It has been described as five lanes almost equally spaced with the center lane being the best. That being the bridge side of the middle between the bridge and the edge of the fingerboard.

I think you are on the right track and look forward to any vids you post! Keep at it.

"Please play some wrong notes, so that we know that you are human" - said to Jascha Heifetz.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Mouse
Guest(s) 76
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today BaldBeardedViolinist, AnnyJ
Upcoming Squiryl, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7822
ABitRusty: 3921
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2433
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2154
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31671
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog, Adityaail, SoCal335
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5346