Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Fiddlerman Concert Violin v Kohr K500?
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
Catherine

Members
June 19, 2013 - 7:13 am
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hello, I've been a Fiddlerman.com lurker and 1stfiddlerman \"student\" at YT for a couple of years now and am now in the position to buy a violin. I have a few questions for which I'm hoping I can get some peer advice.

First: The type of music I'd ultimately like to play are the more powerful, energetic concertos such as Sibelius, Carmen Fantasy, Tzigane, Zigeunerweisen and other Sarasate and the like. Such pieces have broad emotion, depth and even sometimes peasant-like quality.

Level: Beginner.

The choice is narrowed to two instruments:

Fiddlerman Concert Violin: http://fiddlershop.com/fiddler.....iolin.html

Johannes Kohr K500: http://fiddlershop.com/johanne.....k500p.html

Questions:

Is one better suited for my musical style?

Which would progress the furthest to higher proficiency levels?

Which plays higher finger positions better?

Any optional aftermarket tweaks for either? (just curious; not a deal breaker)

What kind of strings come on the Kohr?

Misc:

Are options still available as mentioned in the Kohr video? (strings, boxwood...)

If so, how are requests made?

Are there any advantages to the wood frog on the FM CFB?

Thank you very much for the advice. These sites are tremendously helpful. I hope my questions aren't redundant--and if they are, not too terribly redundant. ;)

Pierre, thank you. And thank you for whoever might be able to help.

Catherine

Fiddlestix
Michigan, USA

King
Members

Regulars
June 19, 2013 - 9:01 am
Forum Posts: 2647

Hi, Catherine and welcome to the forum.

I purchased the Concert violin last year, at that time it was called the Concert Master and didn't include a case, bow or rosin. My intention at that time was to buy the K-550 which was conciderably more in price, but while chatting with Pierre one evening in the chat box, he suggested the Concert Master (Concert)violin and told me he would demonstrate both via. Skype. I called him a few day's later, we conversed through video and he demonstrated three different Concert Master's and let me choose the one I liked the sound of the best.

Pierre is a true professional, both in playing and in business.  If you call him on the phone he will be able to answer any question's you may have re: both instrument's. Fiddlershop is not a mail order house. His goal is to build a community of player's and satisfied customer's.

Incidentally, I love my Concert Master / Concert violin.

Good luck with which ever you choose and happy fiddlin. Looking forward for more of your post's.

Ken.     smile

cdennyb
King for a Day, Peasant for many
Members

Regulars
June 19, 2013 - 11:46 am
Forum Posts: 1817

sent you a PM Catherine, blink

"If you practice with your hands you must practice all day. Practice with your mind and you can accomplish the same amount in minutes." Nathan Milstein

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
June 19, 2013 - 11:03 pm
Forum Posts: 16429

The K500 comes with Prelude strings. Both are equally good for playing your intent.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Catherine

Members
June 20, 2013 - 9:00 pm
Forum Posts: 2

Thanks Fiddlerman,

A friend of mine who played violin previously watched the comparison videos with me and really liked the Fiddlerman Concert Violin based on the sound, that you played the music I'm interested in, and the value. So I have decided on that.

However, I just now tried to buy it but the site deducted $399 twice and there is no confirmation of purchase. I sent a Contact Us letter through Fiddlershop. I kinda need that other $399 back, oh and hopefully the violin. ;)

I'm sure it was just a site error. Thanks!

Catherine

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
June 20, 2013 - 11:21 pm
Forum Posts: 4180

Congrats...to  you.  Welcome and I bet you can't wait to get it..:)

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
June 21, 2013 - 8:16 am
Forum Posts: 16429

How do you think we make our money Catherine. LOL
Just kidding.

We never capture a charge twice. What happens is that your bank reserves the money every time you make an unsuccessful attempt towards a purchase. We have no control over this. However, if you call the bank, they can clear it for you. In rare occasions the banks have required a call from us verifying that we do not plan on capturing the payment in the future in order to clear the debit immediately. In every case, it will settle automatically within a few working days.

Thanks for your business. :-)

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Gordon Shumway
Guest(s) 108
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today Michael Browder, EBurrell
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7759
ABitRusty: 3915
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31662
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10589
Newest Members:
SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5305