Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Burns Night 2015
An open members party for celebrating Rabbie Burns !
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (1 votes) 
Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
January 5, 2015 - 5:18 pm
Forum Posts: 16430
21sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice post Bill :)

Thanks

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
January 14, 2015 - 3:01 pm
Forum Posts: 4180
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hey Hey.. nice work  Ray (Ray I could listen to you play that mando all day... it provided lovely music for me at my desk today).    and Bill.thumbs-up

I am doing much better with my Loch Lomond.  I just have to iron out a few things.

I have found different versions and lyrics.. some familiar... but not.. but I really enjoy the song on the violin.

Cheers. 

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
January 14, 2015 - 3:53 pm
Forum Posts: 3744
23sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm currently beating my latest versions of Loch Lomond and Skye Boat Song into submission - one way or another, they will eventually bend to my will !   I can play them "normally" (single note at a time, monophonic) but I'm working on using double stops ( and/or open string drone ) throughout.  It is "starting to work" - but needs a lot more practice.   What a difference it brings to simple tunes to have a 2-note "chord" throughout....  Just need a little bit more fine-control on bow angle...  it's getting there....

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

Schaick
Members

Regulars
January 23, 2015 - 2:40 pm
Forum Posts: 878
24sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here is my addition to the party!!  My grandson joined in.  Can you guess what he is pretending to be?!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....cUBpQZoFCQ

Violinist start date -  May 2013  

Fiddler start date - May 2014

FIDDLE- Gift from a dear friend. A 1930-40 german copy, of a french copy of a Stradivarius.  BOW - $50 carbon fiber. Strings - Dominants with E Pirastro Gold string.

coolpinkone
January 23, 2015 - 3:07 pm
25sp_Permalink sp_Print

Lovely!!!! I couldn't tell what he was trying to be... But I love his enthusiastic voice and I can tell he melts your heart and makes you smile... All that and violin too!!!   Loved your piece. For the party.

i struggle with mine as I don't know the tune...and of course I am shy to play such a classic Scottish piece in front of Bill.   Ha ha kidding Bill!!

Schaick
Members

Regulars
January 23, 2015 - 4:34 pm
Forum Posts: 878
26sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks!!  @coolpinkone - he was being a vacuum sweeper!!

Violinist start date -  May 2013  

Fiddler start date - May 2014

FIDDLE- Gift from a dear friend. A 1930-40 german copy, of a french copy of a Stradivarius.  BOW - $50 carbon fiber. Strings - Dominants with E Pirastro Gold string.

BillyG
January 23, 2015 - 5:22 pm
27sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey hey hey - ty @Schaick for the contribution !  Cool !   And no, I couldn't tell what your grandson was trying to be.... still working on that (but then again, he prob'ly needs a guid Scots accent tae be understood bah the likes o' me, ye ken? )

coolpinkone said
..and of course I am shy to play such a classic Scottish piece in front of Bill.   Ha ha kidding Bill!!

LMAO @coolpinkone - listen lass - you go play WHATEVER YOU WANT and whatever makes yah happy - that is ALL that matters !!!!!

Since I kicked this off, I suppose I ought to post a couple of "closers" for this as well  and I had a plan - but I was distracted by STJig and cutting a new bridge for old Herman, and other things - but I will do a couple of short pieces tomorrow - still in time for the 25th !!!!   I want to do a shot at a version of the Sky Boat Song with a few (well, it should be throughout the entire piece) drones and/or where appropriate double stops - think I mentioned that before - gonna give it a shot...  It's a nice piece to practice these kinda things with....  we'll see how it goes...

Rabbie was a "right man for the ladies".  Contrary to common opinion, he was not a drunken, debauched kind of bloke, history tells us he held everyone, be they his male or female friends in great respect and treated all he met with common courtesy - (unless of course they were excise-men / tax collectors !!!!   In which case, you'll find a number of very unusual swear-words in his writings.....   LOLOL  - "The deil's awa wi' the exciseman" ) - ok - had to find one -

or two because this chap was great....

https://www.thisismyjam.com/so.....-exciseman

So - LIFT YERRRR GLASSES AND HERRRRE'S TAE RRRRABBIE !    GUID MAUN THAT YE WERRRRE !

Cheers maun, an' thanks furrr aww the the sangs, poems and writings mate !  

(See.... you gotta roll your rrrrrr's tae sound Scottish )  [ careful, careful.... that could be easily misunderstood Bill ...   LOL]

I'll bet you never thought it would come to THIS - eh Rabbie - this inter-web-thingy-mah-doodle?  Yup, we still play your songs !

^5s Rabbie, and thanks for everything - wherever you are !

BillyG
January 25, 2015 - 3:36 am
28sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK - it's the 25th !    Enjoyed the "Burns Supper" last night, with the address to the haggis.  

Here's a last couple of tunes - a wee bit of Loch Lomond and Skye Boat Song with some attempts at playing open string drone on SBS.

No video, still got huge problems with internet connection  - would take hours to upload - pointless.    Oh - I know this is off topic - but I did have a StreetJelly gig planned for last night - I had to pull it - I ran a test and the audio was broken and "patchy" - so my apologies to anyone who was expecting it....    The fault at my local exchange was supposed to be fixed on the 23rd, now they tell me it'll be the 29th... oh well...  I live in hope....

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

coolpinkone
January 27, 2015 - 1:05 am
29sp_Permalink sp_Print

1st-placeBill buddy . This was so lovely.  I just listend and loved it. And you!!! I did not know Skyeboat qualified..... I might post.

You are the best you know?

BillyG
January 27, 2015 - 1:55 am
30sp_Permalink sp_Print

coolpinkone said
1st-placeBill buddy . This was so lovely.  I just listend and loved it. And you!!! I did not know Skyeboat qualified..... I might post.

You are the best you know?

LOL You are way too kind!  As for "the best" - well I seriously doubt it, but I appreciate the sentiment !

I couldn't NOT do Skye boat song - on a clear day I can see the island out to the west from where we live.  And yes, I originally "widened" the scope to include anything even remotely Scottish - so don't hold back !

And just because the 25th has been and gone, that's no excuse either to add to the party !   In fact I'm about to do a Swallowtail - I think the STJ party was started back in 2013 by Diane !   It's NEVER too late to PARTY !

BillyG
January 27, 2015 - 9:17 am
31sp_Permalink sp_Print

And another Rabbie song "My Love, she's but a lassie yet" - I accidentally started playing this ( I forget what other tune lead me into playing it - it happens....) - I'll need to work on it a bit more though before I post - here's what it "can" be ( not the best I've heard, and a tad faster than I would probably do - but - it works - and taht's what matters - YEP - I like this one ! )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....ZiCc6eleYg

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Mouse, Sasha, stringy, Katie L
Guest(s) 74
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Shell, Squiryl, GlassTownCur, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7828
ABitRusty: 3921
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2435
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2154
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31673
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
alicedcoz258, Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5357