Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope


Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
New parts on Jane
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (1 votes) 

October 11, 2014 - 7:01 pm
Member Since: February 11, 2014
Forum Posts: 633
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

The parts arrived today to upgrade Jane, my $30 crescent violin.  As you can see in the pics, some of the pegs sink in quite far, so I will work to get them close to the same and then cut off the tips.  I am also changing the tailpiece and button.  These are all jujube wood parts.

jane-003.JPGImage Enlarger

 jane-002.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

October 11, 2014 - 8:08 pm
Member Since: November 8, 2012
Forum Posts: 555
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi there!

About a year ago, I completely rebuilt a violin. I had no luthier experience, just general woodworking and carving. Here's some advice for your project.

If the pegs are predrilled, you may have some problems if the peg box holes have been reamed to large for your new pegs. The peg's string holes might enter to far ( or not far enough) to keep your pegs tight once the string starts to wind on them. It can cause a cross torque that always makes your pegs want to loosen up or slip. If this is the case, fill the original peg string holes with epoxy and "carefully" redrill the holes in the proper place (perpendicular). If the end of the pegs are a lot lighter then the rest of the peg (after you cut them to length), rub them rapidly across pink rubber eraser to burnish the end. It will shine and polish it nicely with little effort, so no need to stain/dye/paint them.

Insure that both peg box holes have the peg sitting securely. If they aren't, additional stress with be placed on the pegbox and your tuning with not go smoothly and your string will ride one way or the other up or down the peg.

It looks like the end nut is worn too. This can cause buzzing and hard to play strings. I found, for me, the end nut was the hardest thing to make. It seems easy enough, but it took multiple attempts to get it right, and still, I suffer from 1 slot not quite square. The angle is extremely important on the back side. Pressure there at the wrong angle can damage your string and cause the strings to feed wrong into the pegbox.


Somewhere here, I had images of the whole project, but I seldom post anymore. I just troll and read and play along in my own secluded little realm I call home. This post really caught my interest. hopefully you have more experience then I did and your project goes smoothly. Ask away if you have other questions. I know for fact that several really talented people tinker on their instruments and could add loads of insight.

"I find your lack of Fiddle, disturbing" - Darth Vader


October 11, 2014 - 9:38 pm
Member Since: February 11, 2014
Forum Posts: 633
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Here is Jane as she now looks.  She weighs 380 (down from 387,,,Rose is 397 and Vanessa is 462,,,,,btw, my wood bows run from 67 to 69 grams while the cf is 62.8)

Thanks for checking in Ty, hope to see more of you around here.


jane-001.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

October 12, 2014 - 3:11 pm
Member Since: February 11, 2014
Forum Posts: 633
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Learned a couple of things.
I use reversed spring clothes pins for a mute (clipped on bridge,,both sides).  I put them at the bottom of the bridge, which took away the worry about the bridge falling.  I still have to pay  attention, but the worry is gone.  I still put a cloth under the tailpiece, just in case.
After putting on the tailpiece, the nylon strap stretched and I was not close to the 54mm for afte rlength on the strings, so I took it off, tightened the nuts some more and reinstalled.  Then while playing I heard a pop and realized that the threads on the strap were giving way.  It makes me understand that once the nylon has stretched I can not go back and retighten.  In other words I get one shot at it.  So I took it off, put on another, tightened it so that the wood just barely had enough room to go over the little insert and after stringing I had 52 mm after length,,,close enough.


jane-002-1.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Fort Lauderdale
October 12, 2014 - 3:19 pm
Member Since: September 26, 2010
Forum Posts: 16063

Sometimes we burn the ends of the nylon threads to keep the nylon from slipping. Only problem is that it won't be possible to lengthen it later if necessary. Leave about 1/8" and melt the ends carefully with a lighter. Don't breath the fumes.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Gordon Shumway, AndrewH
Guest(s) 64
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
Today visionsalchemy, Writer
Upcoming Killerkhezu, Ferret, HDuaneaz, vibaviattigala, chendricks, BillyG, rsmith6322, ACDSherlockian, NiloiV, Dan, jose6ph, Kody, music_master
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 5026
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2680
ABitRusty: 2675
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
DanielB: 2379
Gordon Shumway: 2099
damfino: 2047
Kevin M.: 1973
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31104
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 79
Topics: 9912
Posts: 124717
Newest Members:
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16063, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3741, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 4177