Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Ricard Brunell G2(clearance instrument kennedy) vs Cecilio CVN 500(Amazon) vs Superior Primo (superior violin site Michael Sanchez suggested)
Price range is 260 dollars. Intend to buy a violin and a good set of strings to go with it. Need advice which option is best considering i'm ordering online.
Topic Rating: 3 Topic Rating: 3 Topic Rating: 3 Topic Rating: 3 Topic Rating: 3 Topic Rating: 3 (2 votes) 
violony

Members
July 17, 2014 - 1:53 pm
Forum Posts: 22
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I read some very positive and some very negative reviews of cecilio, mostly regarding the poor state in which they arrive at times. There's this violin teacher who suggested me to get a primo violin worth 190 dollar. According to him it was 9/10 while cecilio is 7/10 and stentor 2 is 6/10. Please give advice if you have some experience regarding these violins. Please unbiased and elaborate opinions will be immensely appreciated. I have some 2 year experience. Don't suggest to save money and get a better one.Fiddlerman? please everyone give suggestions

OldOgre
OhiO
Members

Regulars
July 17, 2014 - 3:37 pm
Forum Posts: 244

Hi there, welcome to the site.

First I don't own that exact Model of Cecilio, but I do own 2 of there others. I like both and have no real problems with there quality.

Second the Superior Primo is not even in the class of either the Burnell G2 or the Cecilio CVN-500.

So then your choices seem to be between the Burnell and Cecilio, and both are great violins for that cost range.

Being a Cecilio owner I would say the CVN-500, I don't think that there quality us shoddy in anyway. Did I change some things like strings and bridge, yes. But  that was all a personal decision, others may disagree, But I don't think that you will disappointed at that purchase of a CVN-500.

I hope this helps you.

With violins there is no fretting over the music.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
July 17, 2014 - 4:29 pm
Forum Posts: 16430

Good luck with whatever you get.
I believe that your teachers rating system seems to be kind of random, but I've heard stranger things. He must have ordered many violins or carefully analyzed what others (students or what have you) have purchased (guessing all three brands). LOL
I agree that they can arrive in varying conditions. The important thing when you order is that you make sure that you can return it if you are not satisfied. OK?

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

violony

Members
July 17, 2014 - 10:44 pm

OldOgre said
Hi there, welcome to the site.

First I dfor that cost range.

Being a Cecilio owner I would say the CVN-500, I don't think that there quality us shoddy in anyway. Did I change some things like strings and bridge, yes. But  that was all a personal decision, others may disagree, But I don't think that you will disappointed at that purchase of a CVN-500.

I hope this helps youon't own that exact Model of Cecilio, but I do own 2 of there others. I like both and have no real problems with there quality.

Second the Superior Primo is not even in the class of either the Burnell G2 or the Cecilio CVN-500.

So then your choices seem to be between the Burnell and Cecilio, and both are great violins .

Very Helpful Thanks. Fiddlerman not that helpful:( More people give suggestions please. The Louis Carpini G2 must be way too good as compared to these right?

Ferret
Byron Bay Australia
Members

Regulars
July 17, 2014 - 10:47 pm
Forum Posts: 1575

It was me that suggested that you join the forum and ask this question after replying to you on the chat.

The only thing that I'll say at this point is that if you buy on Amazon, eBay, or the like you will have no real 'backup'. 

If you where to buy from a source such as Fiddlerman or similar you 'will' have backup. Sellers such as Pierre would not sully there reputation by abandoning you after you purchased providing that any complaints that you had where justified.

Purchasing from Fiddlerman may or may not cost you a few more dollars. If it does, it's worth those few dollars for the peace of mind you will have knowing that you have bough from a reputable source.

Its worth thinking about.

Seen it all. Done it all. Can't remember most of dunno ..... What was I saying???? facepalm

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
July 18, 2014 - 7:51 am

Bilal01 said ......Fiddlerman not that helpful:( .....

I found this comment to be offensive. Not called for.

MrYikes
Members

Regulars
July 18, 2014 - 8:02 am
Forum Posts: 633

I had to read it three times to make sure I understood it.  I liked it less each time.

Ferret
Byron Bay Australia
Members

Regulars
July 18, 2014 - 8:55 am
Forum Posts: 1575

As far as I'm concerned, this thread is closed red_cursing

I think that perhaps before you learn to play the violin you learn some 'tact' and some 'respect'.

If I actually said what I was thinking I would deserve to be kick off the forum, so I'll bite my tongue and hope you get the violin you deserve.

Seen it all. Done it all. Can't remember most of dunno ..... What was I saying???? facepalm

violony

Members
July 18, 2014 - 7:19 pm

Interesting...I'm sorry if this actually offends someone, i was only giving feedback. All i said was that the first answer was helpful and fiddlerman wasn't as helpful(thus refering to the need of elaboration and detail considering his experience)I sounded wrong, i guess. Moreover i didn't realize people get offended so easily. Ferret guy was very helpful:) I'm thinking of ordering a louis carpini G2 from Kennedy(not that anyone cares now):P  

violony

Members
July 18, 2014 - 7:23 pm
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

MrYikes said
I had to read it three times to make sure I understood it.  I liked it less each time.

i never intended it to be liked or unliked by any third person:)

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
July 18, 2014 - 7:35 pm
Forum Posts: 4180
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

@violony 

No one here is all that sensitive.  It is simple matter of being gracious and kind. (as Fidderman was being when he took time to write to you). He first of all wished you good luck.  and gave you the best advice..which is make sure it is returnable. 

When someone is asking for something... and someone gives them something back... like a reply or advice.  It is just good manners to say thank you for your time and response.. EVEN IF IT was not what you expected.  It is just manners. 

If you wanted more advice, then just ask more specifically and see who else would answer.

And yes you will grate upon a lot of  people's nerves here if you accuse Pierre of not being helpful, because he is the most helpful guy around. YOU HAVE NO IDEA!!!!

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

violony

Members
July 18, 2014 - 11:22 pm
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'll be on the guard from next time. 

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
July 19, 2014 - 10:42 am
Forum Posts: 3744
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

Perhaps something was "lost in translation".  As @coolpinkone said, "No one here is all that sensitive." 

No need to "be on guard" - just stop and think.... LOL

I understand your need for an answer, and many of us here are beginners, and are "clearly driven" - just like yourself -  often having the desperate need for an immediate answer to something we're thinking about or are unsure about and post questions on the forum to those in the "same boat", and to those who "know more" than us noobs ( even at a couple of years "in", noob applies - in the nicest way possible!   We are all still learning! )

All I can say is that here, on this forum, ask nicely, and you will get help and respect back ---- in bucketfuls.  

The fact that anyone, including @Fiddlerman himself took the time to reply, should be appreciated - this is a community consisting of dedicated musicians, ranging from beginners to professionals, not an open blog. The fact that you can "sign up for free" to the community doesn't make it a "twitter-like" (god forbid) account.   Take your time to get to know us... we are not ogres ( well, apart from @OldOgre LOLOL ) [ who is actually a well cool dude, really ]

And sorry - although I just felt I had to give my tuppence-worth - with my limited experience, I have nothing worthwhile to say about your choice of violin, but I really do hope you find something you like.

Bill ( now the owner of a very fine FM Concert ! )  [ That was not advertising in any way - my true opinion ]

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
July 19, 2014 - 12:42 pm
14sp_Permalink sp_Print

violony said
Interesting...I'm sorry if this actually offends someone....

Water under the bridge.

violony said
I'm thinking of ordering a louis carpini G2 from Kennedy(not that anyone cares now):P  

We do. Hope it's a good fiddle.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 78
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Shell, Squiryl, Schaick, GlassTownCur, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7834
ABitRusty: 3922
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2435
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2155
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31673
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
alicedcoz258, Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5361