Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Surprise in Mail-Really Nice Cecilio CVN 600
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
Irv
Members

Regulars
November 3, 2018 - 4:34 pm
Forum Posts: 1650
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I am not a fan of the Cecilio Cvn 600 Violin.  Heavy with enough material to construct three “normal” violins.  Suitable for the heavy handed practice from a football player.  

I had no thought of the Cvn 600 when I won an eBay auction with the only bid.  The pegs were plain ebony instead of the “hill” type.  It had a rectangular black cloth case with a hydrometer in the lower left third (never saw that before).  I was hoping that it might be another Mendini MV 650.

As you might guess by now, I did get a Cvn 600.  But with differences.  Very light weight.  Sound post where it should be and of correct length.  Perfectly fitted pegs.  As new condition.  The nut is a little too high and bridge is very thick (both conditions easily corrected).  Serial number starts with 2004.  Spruce top very tight grained and back/sides highly figured.  Very happy with purchase.

Success is the progressive realisation of a worthy ideal. —Earl Nightingale.

bocaholly
Boca Raton, Florida
Members

Regulars
November 3, 2018 - 4:47 pm
Forum Posts: 694

congratulations_png

Any hypothesis as to why this one is so presentable compared to the previous VSOs of the same brand and model? 

Irv
Members

Regulars
November 3, 2018 - 5:10 pm

I am thinking age of manufacture.  More time and money was spent on the violin and bows (which are also very nice) and much less on the case and fancy pegs.   This violin is like a super grade of the MV 650, so it was likely made at about the same time.  

bocaholly
Boca Raton, Florida
Members

Regulars
November 3, 2018 - 5:33 pm
Forum Posts: 694

oh, I just looked online and they retail for $450,- so my "VSO" appellation was a little hasty. 

Let us know how it sounds when you have that nut and bridge set up to your satisfaction.

Irv
Members

Regulars
November 3, 2018 - 6:19 pm

Another unusual condition is that the bridge has tiny Indian inked letters indicating the strings (gdae).  No brand name on the bridge, which is unusual for the Cvn-600.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
November 5, 2018 - 7:51 pm
Forum Posts: 16429

Someone made a new bridge for it?

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Irv
Members

Regulars
November 7, 2018 - 8:39 pm

Hi Fiddlerman.  I think it is the original bridge.  There is another similar bridge in the case still in tissue wrapping, but that one does not have string designations.  I have a few Cecilio violins with obvious erroneous labels (a violin given a cello label is fairly common), and the accessory level and bridge is consistent with a MV 650.  But that does not explain the case (and I have never seen a case like this before).  

I am about to make things more confusing by replacing the bridge for a Cinderella, which would be stock for a CVN 600.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
November 9, 2018 - 11:59 am
Forum Posts: 16429

The Cecilio's often come with an extra bridge.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: stringy
Guest(s) 89
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today Michael Browder, EBurrell
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7759
ABitRusty: 3915
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31662
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10589
Newest Members:
SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5305