Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
April 2022 🔥 FIDDLE HELL 🔥 Festival!
Time to sign up for some fun!
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (7 votes) 
ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
March 8, 2022 - 4:49 pm
Forum Posts: 8088
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Come on, ALL you Fiddle Hellions! 

Time to register for the April 7-10, 2022

Online 🔥 Fiddle Hell 🔥 Festival! 

Fiddle Hell Online Registration
Instructors & Performers
Schedule

MANY STYLES OF MUSIC & TECHNIQUES COVERED! 

Sit in on as many Workshops as you want, ask questions & have fun - watch replays later to reinforce what you learn! 

I've seen all the Instructors take extra time to help beginners who have the ambition to attend more advanced Workshops! 

Many Concerts and Jams, also!

April Verch is back! 

AMAZING TOP NAME INSTRUCTORS KNOWN WORLD WIDE! 

Workshops for all lead string instruments - including Viola/Cello! 

I've already previously described my wonderful experiences with the past couple Online Fiddle Hell Festivals! 
🔥  🔥  🔥 

What are y'all waiting for? 

Questions answered HERE ↓
→ Fiddle Hell Online Registration ←

https://www.fiddlehell.org/templates/yootheme/cache/fh_website_new_logo-dbb8e6c2.png

...it's addictive - can't wait to see what I learn at this one! 

- Emily

ABitRusty
Members

Regulars
March 10, 2022 - 8:28 pm
Forum Posts: 4008

Not your typical fiddlehell workshop but timely for the discussions here on the forum as of late.  Clayton March does some the best workshops there from what Ive seen.  He always has great info and ideas.   This is a new class he is doing concerning making videos like we post on here.

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
March 11, 2022 - 1:09 am

@ABitRusty -

It's great that Fiddle Hell has been coming out with these little introduction videos for the April Festival! 

Glad you pointed out Clayton March's workshop. 

Now, Clayton says his mic is about 8" away from his mouth. 

...probably 6" to the top of his forehead, 1½" of hair on top of his head and seeing a couple more inches of space above that. 

Guess I'll have to take the workshop to find out the true location of that mic. (lol) 

Btw, really appreciate you've been telling us all how important mic position is, right from the start! 

Thank you! 

https://www.fiddlehell.org/templates/yootheme/cache/fh_website_new_logo-dbb8e6c2.png

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
March 12, 2022 - 3:43 am
PLENTY for Cellists, Violists and 5-string Fiddlers! 

I've taken some of Natalie Haas's Workshops at the past couple Fiddle Hells. 

She's a great teacher, teaching wonderful tunes, takes it at whatever pace you need it and answers all your questions! 

Here's her intro for the April 2022 Workshops! 

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
March 14, 2022 - 2:58 pm
Forum Posts: 16439

Speaking of Fiddle Hell, I am working on a festival in Pompano Beach for the future and will be asking for help. I'll do it in a separate thread so as not to highjack this one.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
March 15, 2022 - 8:14 am

Fiddlerman said
Speaking of Fiddle Hell, I am working on a festival in Pompano Beach for the future and will be asking for help. I'll do it in a separate thread so as not to highjack this one.

THAT'S FANTASTIC! 

You won't forget about us folk who can't make the trip in person, will you? 

More great news!

Alex Kusturok & Ellen Carlson will be teaching as this April's Online Fiddle Hell Festival! 

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
March 15, 2022 - 10:03 am

Won't

ELCBK said

Fiddlerman said

THAT'S FANTASTIC! 

You won't forget about us folk who can't make the trip in person, will you? 

I'll never forget. However, I'm hoping as many as possible can make the trip. :)

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
March 22, 2022 - 7:21 pm
Hope everyone follows the "Fiddler Heaven" thread & OFFER SOME HELP IF YOU CAN! 
https://fiddlerman.com/forum/u.....er-heaven/

But, Fiddle Hell is ONLY 2 weeks away! 

Mimi Rabson is back teaching more GREAT workshops! 
Klezmer, Blues & Jazz - here's a little taste! 

Enion Pelta-Tiller has some workshops, also! 

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
March 26, 2022 - 10:40 am

More Instructor previews for Fiddle Hell 2022! 

Rebecca Weiss! 

Cathy Mason!

There's also some living legends teaching workshops & playing in Concert, like: Kevin Burke, Alasdair Fraser, Jay Ungar and MANY, MANY MORE! 

Staff & Instructors

Fiddle Hell April 2022 Online Registration ←

Less than 2 WEEKS away! 

Anyone else sign up besides me & ABitRusty? 

- Emily

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
April 3, 2022 - 2:35 am
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's not a secret - but getting closer. 

...only a week away! 

Tracy Silverman will be teaching a couple workshops!

35 live concerts, 35 live jam sessions, and 180 live workshops 

Online Fiddle Hell Festival! 

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
April 6, 2022 - 12:37 pm

STARTS TOMORROW! 

35 live concerts  

35 live jam sessions 

180 live workshops 

Online Fiddle Hell Festival! 

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
April 8, 2022 - 2:09 am

Well, April 7th was my FIRST DAY

of my 3rd Fiddle Hell! 

I must've been learning something this last year, because I didn't feel the need to ask questions like I usually do. 

My 1st hour: 

I learned more about Hornpipes, "Tom O’Connor’s Hornpipe" and "An Trí is a Rian"  and how they differ from Reels with Matt Cranitch! 

My 2nd hour: 

I learned about how Jim Shumate's Style influenced Bluegrass Fiddling from Ronnie Stewart!  

My 3rd hour: 

I learned a wonderful Cape Breton Set from Andrea Beaton, "Memories of Paddy LeBlanc", "Josie MacArthur's" and her own, "Seanna Mae’s Reel"! 

My 4th hour: 

I learned a couple of Polskas from the Province of Västergötland, Sweden - with Anna Lindblad!

My 5th hour: 

I learned how to Take A Scottish Reel Beyond The Notes, with Jeremy Kittel!  I'm always amazed at how much I get out of his workshops. 

My 6th hour: 

I learned more about Québécois Fiddling and "Le Reel des Ancêtres" (a wondeful tune) with Eric Favreau! 

My 7th hour: 

I learned an amazing, 3-part Scottish Reel, "The Appropriate Dipstick", from Jenna Moynihan! 

My 8th hour:  

I learned a couple of unusual Irish Reels, "Providence Reel" & "Cregg's Pipes", from Ellery Klein! 

My 9th hour:  

I learned about the Old Cajun Style of Wade Frugé, "A Gallop" & "Valse de Bayou Teche", from Tina Pilione! 

...another exciting, long day tomorrow!

SO much more I couldn't watch live - like about soundposts, other techniques, styles and the concerts & jams! 

But replays will be available for 4 MONTHS (of everything - ALL 4 days!)! 

NOT TOO LATE TO SIGN UP!

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
April 8, 2022 - 11:20 pm

2nd Day!  Fiddle Hell - April 2022  

I keep hoping that I'll pique some interest in this wonderful online festival, even though I'm only highlighting a few of the events, ones I participated in - there are MANY more. 

It's really like 10 Festivals in ONE - because after all the live streaming is over, we have 4 months to view EVERYTHING!  This won't be possible when Fiddle Hell returns to a 'live', in-person event (next Fall) - you'll only get out of it what you can physically attend (a fraction of the whole festival) - no replays. 

You can still sign up, even after this weekend! 

One thing I should mention -
Zoom quality has been remarkably improved! 

My 1st hour today: 

I learned about a lovely 'Barndance' tune, "The New Broom", with Becky Tracy! 

My 2nd hour: 

Jay Ungar & Molly Mason presented an amazing workshop (wish it lasted ALL day!) - about Capturing Emotions and Mood in Composing

My 3rd hour: 

Liz Davis Maxwell did a great Dive Into Irish Tunes On The Cello - learned a ton about adding variety to solos (on VIOLA), making back-up playing interesting and a sweet little tune! 

My 4th hour: 

I learned 2 Crooked Québécois tunes from new instructor, Claude Méthé - interesting how some of these tunes have distinct Irish origins!  

My 5th hour:  

I learned all about the Heart of different Strathspeys, with Alasdair Fraser (another one I wish could've lasted all day)! 

My 6th hour: 

Jeremy Kittel showed us a zillion ways to Get Creative with a very cool Bluegrass Fiddle tune, plus great info good for BACKING-UP others!

My 7th hour: 

I spent watch/listening to really beautiful Klezmer music (some from the Ukraine) with Shana Aisenberg & Beverly Woods!  This was a Jam, with handouts for everyone to play along, but I wasn't prepared, so just listened.  I have a new appreciation for this music! 

My 8th hour: 

A Special Presentation by Rev. Robert Jones (of Detroit!), on Incorporating Music Into Your Storytelling!  A few steps beyond Arlo Gutherie & "Alice's Restaurant", opened my eyes to more ways of using our music, maybe even a career - my Grandkids would love if I did some of this! 

Today was hard, because I had a very tough time choosing what to participate in & ask questions - there were at least 3 other events EVERY HOUR that I was equally interested in.  I will still be happy watching replays of what I missed. 🤗  

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
April 9, 2022 - 10:21 pm

April 2022 Fiddle Hell -

Day 3! 

More hard decisions, today!  The chats during Live Streaming are NOT saved for replays - so I had to choose what to attend by guessing which workshops might end up with important  I might miss. 🙄 

All were FABULOUS & MUCH MORE to watch in replay! 

My 1st hour:  

Learned a challenging Polska from Anna Lindblad - GREAT Tune, "Polska efter Robert Johansson, from Harryda"! 

My 2nd hour: 

Kevin Burke did a wonderful seminar on How To Take Your Irish Fiddle Playing to The Next Level!  Packed full of info. 

My 3rd hour: 

Beth Bahia Cohen taught "Giymesi Kerekes" - a wonderful Hungarian tune along with GREAT info. 

My 4th hour: 

Learned a challenging Schottis, "Älgschottis", from Bronwyn Bird! 

My 5th hour: 

Learned a trad Québécois tune, Cross-tuned GDGD, that had a nice bowing rhythm with Claude Méthé! 

My 6th hour: 

Darrol Anger made my day, with Iconic Bluegrass Fiddle Breaks!  Seems like he covered EVERYTHING I've had on my mind, lately.  Just amazing that everything is all making sense, now & help with more double stops.  I could've spent ALL day there! 

My 7th-8th hours: 

The Big Saturday Night Concert just wrapped up - AMAZING (been typing while listening)! 

My 9th hour: 

Got tired, so just popped in for a bit of Tracy Silverman's Strum Bowing in Action - he really caught my attention at the Big Concert!  He seems to have a way of bringing Classical Violinists & Fiddlers together with music theory & comparisons! 

I also sat in on Duane Padilla's, Help Your Fiddle Sing With Vibrato - definitely going back to study more of that one, plus so many more! 

...more GREAT STUFF TOMORROW! 
(it will be last Day for Live Streaming, then 4 months of replays) 

Unfretted
Members

Regulars
April 10, 2022 - 9:37 am
Forum Posts: 164
15sp_Permalink sp_Print

Emily,  Thank You!! so very much for pushing us to participate in the Fiddle Hell Festival!

I was on the fence about this for the last couple of festivals and didn’t join in... budget considerations, time constraints, plus I’m already a paid student with Jason at FiddleHed (which I absolutely love).  With the additional proddings of a couple of real-life friends, I finally registered for Fiddle Hell this time.  You’re right, it is fantastic!  It doesn’t at all replace my main course that I study with Jason, rather it is a great vitamin supplement and a dose of strong inspirational coffee.

I worried that it might be too diffuse with a superficial glimpse at too many topics.  But on the contrary, a participant can dig deep focusing on a specific genre such as Celtic (sooo many great classes here), or bluegrass, or jamming, etc.  Or a participant can survey a buffet of diversity.

I was so impressed with the teaching skills of Andrea Beaton that I took several of her classes. Where else can I learn actual Cape Breton embellishments right from the native source and even get to ask questions to get it right!

I watched the replay of Jay Ungar’s Mountain House tutorial.  So moving and amazing!!! That alone was worth the price of admission! He not only taught the tune, but shared how he embellishes, improvises, emotes.  I have a whole new regard for him as a teacher, musician, and really down-to-earth guy.

Plus, having access to full recordings of every class for the next four months will be wonderful.

Thank you, Emily!!!  

For anyone interested, it is still possible to register today for the last day of live classes and then have access for the next four months.

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
April 11, 2022 - 1:09 am

@Unfretted - 

THANK YOU! 

I am SO glad you are enjoying it & love to hear more about your experience! 
You made ALL my posting worth it! 

ABitRusty talked me into MY 1st one, when I thought I wasn't ready!  

I have found that no matter what 'level' I think I'm playing at, I gain useful info from ALL the Fiddle Hell fiddle-centric workshops - even if designated higher, or lower level... ones I took at the Nov Fiddle Hell (and thought over my head) helped prepare me for some this festival!  AND, I don't pass-over ones I 'think' I'm not interested in - it's amazing how one style, or technique can be useful for another! 

One thing I didn't realize, until today, is if I join in a live stream late - I can't see any previous chat entries.  I knew I could save a chat, but didn't know it wouldn't contain any earlier info, if I was late - sometimes chat info can be priceless.  I already mentioned that NO chat info is available in replays. 

Take advantage of all the handouts, too! 

- Emily

Highlights of my last day. 

My 1st hour: 

I had to miss the morning, so started the afternoon with Mimi Rabson's, How to Improvise Over Jazz Chord Changes!  Very methodical/precise - and the info on the 7th chord structures I needed, plus great info for BACK-UP playing! 

My 2nd hour: 

Building Blocks for Jazz Solos with Jeremy Kittel went WAY beyond info I hoped for - important characteristics of the 3rd & 7th in a scale, the importance of ear training & WHY, how learning modes helps, how vibrato and ornaments differ in Jazz! 

My 3rd hour: 

Beth Bahia Cohen was going to just teach a Romanian Tune - ended up teaching SO much more!  How similar Klezmer tunes differ, much more indepth on using the Nikriz mode and I even talked her into playing her 'horned' fiddle!  So much fun! 

My 4th hour: 

Learned a great, Crooked Tune from Québéc, "Reel du Capitaine 22E Regiment", that has a wonderful change from major to minor, with Eric Favreau! 

My 5th hour: 

Betsy Branch taught a great workshop on Body Mechanics for Awesome Fiddling!  Some great new ideas to help prevent injury & free up fingers! 

My 6th hour: 

Skye Steele's, Ramp Up Your Groove With Charanga Riffs, helped me pick out the rhythms in this polyphonic music & learned some great riffs, too! 

My 7th hour: 

Twin Fiddling Techniques with Betsy Branch & George Penk, wonderful ideas for preparing to step in and play-along with someone or BACK-UP!  Also discussed the benefits of cross-tuning & played some tunes in AEAE and a lovely Québécois tune!

I'll still be busy learning at Fiddle Hell for a while - some great stuff I missed!

LIVE streaming of Fiddle Hell is over, but

the 4 months of replays are STILL available

(at reduced cost, if you haven't already signed up)! 

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
June 16, 2022 - 12:23 pm
17sp_Permalink sp_Print

Out of curiosity how much classical music do they focus on? I remember that you were curious about my plans with our Fiddlermania festival.

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
June 16, 2022 - 4:24 pm

@Fiddlerman -

No Classical music at Fiddle Hell, that's why I thought it would be so good to consider both Classical & Fiddle Music. 

You can still see the whole itinerary at Fiddle Hell. 

https://fiddlehell.org/schedule

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
June 27, 2022 - 3:47 pm
19sp_Permalink sp_Print

@ELCBK - I'll keep it in mind. We started some new projects and I neglected to follow up on the festival. The city is waiting for me to create a schedule/map of events. These kind of requests can throw me off. 😢 I begin to think too much.

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
July 31, 2022 - 7:40 pm

@Unfretted -

Just a reminder to you and everyone else who attended the April 2022 Fiddle Hell - we still have until August 11th to access all the workshop videos and to download or print out sheet music! 

https://patriotden.com/fotki/smileys/Fiddle_Player_Smiley_Face.GIF

Don't know about you, but I have learned enough to keep me busy for the next year! 

- Emily

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Mouse, stringy, Oscar Stern
Guest(s) 147
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming anonkid, KindaScratchy, freesbee, paulinefiddle, Allenph, oneloudmime, MsJoy, Sandybourne, Ripton, Space., loveluach, husseinHr, reedc83, Guido, A. V. Suvorov, Scrap, DennisS, JiminTexas, mcwey, Fashionandfiddle, Giovanni
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 8088
ABitRusty: 4008
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Gordon Shumway: 2455
Oliver: 2439
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2177
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31703
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10642
Newest Members:
alisawilson, justinbrown, joshiburman, jamesmartinjs12, davidmorgan, OliviaErin, pbstrings, nayaghosh, henrykang, anna.byrne80
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16439, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5448