Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Thoughts on Palatino VA 950
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
JiminTexas

Members
May 8, 2019 - 3:00 pm
Forum Posts: 42
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Is this an instrument that a complete novice can learn on? The upside to it is that I can get it at a very good price. The down side is, of course, that this line of violas and/or instruments in general does not have a very good reputation, judging by what I have heard and read, or is it that I am listening and reading the wrong opinions? 

The search for great technique does not always lead to great music, but the search for great music does always lead to great technique.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
May 10, 2019 - 4:54 pm
Forum Posts: 16429

I'm not sure Jim. A complete beginner doesn't need the disadvantage of struggling with an instrument which is more difficult to play and sounds worse than necessary.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Mouse
May 10, 2019 - 6:08 pm
Forum Posts: 5309

I am confused. Are you talking about violas in general, or a specific viola? I don’t see a specific viola referenced.

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

JiminTexas

Members
May 10, 2019 - 7:49 pm

cid said
I am confused. Are you talking about violas in general, or a specific viola? I don’t see a specific viola referenced.

Cid, the Palatino VA 950 is a specific viola. I just can't find any information or reviews by purchasers on it other than the canned statements from the manufacturer. It is apparently out of production for several years now. Apparently this was at or near the top of the line of a series of entry level instruments and indications are that sales were not as expected and it was discontinued. 

The search for great technique does not always lead to great music, but the search for great music does always lead to great technique.

JiminTexas

Members
May 10, 2019 - 8:01 pm

Fiddlerman said
I'm not sure Jim. A complete beginner doesn't need the disadvantage of struggling with an instrument which is more difficult to play and sounds worse than necessary.

Sorry, I guess that I was not very clear about this. I can find no information or reviews and on this particular viola, just the marketing blurb from Palatino. It was apparently the top of their entry level line of violas, but is it suitable for me as a complete novice? Please note the past tense, because I don't see them available anywhere as new. Were they discontinued? If so, why? Were they just bad, overpriced, or what?

Bob
Members

Regulars
May 11, 2019 - 8:05 am
Forum Posts: 355

@JiminTexas I did a bunch of Googling and for the 950 all I get is "not available"  or "out of stock" or "discontinued". I did find a 450 on Amazon that had one review (1 star). The reviewer said don't buy this instrument.

Personally, I've learned from experience to only buy instruments that I can play for a week or two. I've got several I bought sight unseen many years ago which probably should remain sound unheard!

I just bought a violin from FM but did so after trying six instruments via "home trial". Many other places offer home trials and some shops in Dallas area (60 miles to the west of me) offer trials of instruments they have in stock. Unfortunately, my rural location made it easier for me to go with trial via mail and FM's home trials are painless :)

Good luck on finding a suitable viola. I'd be a bit nervous of buying a "discontinued" instrument.

Bob in Lone Oak, Texas

Mouse
May 11, 2019 - 8:27 am
Forum Posts: 5309

I found the same thing as Bob, which is probably what JiminTexas saw. On the Palatino site, that model viola is not listed. 

I would assume that since it is no longer made, finding much more info on a viola of that value is not feasible. You might find a better one in a pawnshop.

Seriously! I bought a wonderful cello for $125 at a pawnshop. It had geared pegs, not a scratch, wonderful sound and projection, fairly good bow, almost new strings, no work needed. Playable when I got home. The strings were not low end. I gave it to my niece about a month ago. I loved that cello, but my niece is so musical and I love her dearly, so I gifted that wonderful pawnshop cello to her. We will be going to the pawnshop in a few weeks to poke around again. This one was tucked in a corner and could not actually be seen by my husband until he left the pawnshop and walked by it to the model train shop. He saw it through the window and went back to see about it.

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
May 13, 2019 - 1:49 pm
Forum Posts: 16429

Some people have been happy with the entry level Cecilio violas. I can't say much for the Palatino. With the Cecilio violas, it's the luck of the draw. I know that Mark did not like his that he recently purchased and Barry loved his.
Sorry I can't be of more help with that but I would recommend just spending a few hundred more for something that is guaranteed set up properly.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 159
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, wonderputz, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7761
ABitRusty: 3915
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31662
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10590
Newest Members:
SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5309