Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
VMAAI 2014
Annual builders convention and contest
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
Tucson1

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
October 18, 2014 - 1:57 am
Forum Posts: 234
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Howdy ,

This years event was lots of fun watching / listening to over fifty entries in violin , viola , and cello building and bow making compete for top dog in their classes ...

I was only able to attend on Friday , the last of five day event , for the final tone award playoff ....this is the most highly sought after part of this great event ...See vmaai.org fer all the details ....

AS i was limited fer time and only able to attend briefly , i took no pictures so here are pics from last year and you guessed it ...they look timeless anyway ...violin-1267IMG_2060.JPGImage Enlarger

IMG_2059.JPGImage Enlarger

IMG_2058.JPGImage Enlarger

IMG_2057.JPGImage Enlarger

IMG_2056.JPGImage Enlarger

IMG_2049.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
October 18, 2014 - 1:03 pm
Forum Posts: 4180

very very cool Tucs.. I am glad you got to attend a bit.  I hope you are feeling better.

:) Cheers, Toni

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
October 21, 2014 - 7:45 am
Forum Posts: 16430

Very cool. Were you impressed by any maker in particular?

I would have thought that they would require the makers to use the same style chinrest. IMAO, it could affect the sound and having the same one would also make it more consistent for those who are testing the instruments.
I've always been under the impression that a clamp directly over the rear (end button) block is not as dampening as over one edge.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Tucson1

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
October 21, 2014 - 10:29 pm

Hey Pierre ,

Interesting question and conception about the chin rest and weather to regulate the type used or not ....without causing too much of a stir among the google experts , I'll just state that yer perception of the chin rest ability to change or alter tone is both true and false ...once again , as with sooo many aspects  of violin building and design , it really does vary from one instrument to another from making a big difference in some violins to no decernable difference in others ...

There are really big differences of opinion on this subject and i'm sure we'll be hearing more about it sooner than latter ....

Factors to consider include but are not limited to weather , as an organization , would the VMAAI even wish to put such constraints on makers ? In as much as the chin rest selection may or may not enhance / inhibit tone in any one particular violin there even seems to be contention on clamping location vs mas / material used ..

To complicate matters even more is , is the relationship between chin rest , tail piece design and material and shoulder rest type combining together for tone production ..

How many folks just blow off the use of progressive tail pieces fer instance , something i personally favor on some but not all violins ...

It's important to remember that the judging is done by playing judges as well as listening judges and then averaged the score ...a particular chin rest on a Strad model may put the players ear in a position somewhat different than say another model with somewhat different F holes , resulting in tonal perception of the playing judge to vary , thus affecting the score .

I might add that the judges are all professional players but not nessecarily builders ..

Many builders do try out a number of chin rests types to determine if one is better than another on their pride and joy of the year .

I like the idea of clamping on the end block fer structual reasons but often miss the nice resonance the tail piece can give under my ear but not noticeable to listeners at a distance ..

Variances in diaphramatic responce from one violin to another vs the players ability to recognize and exploit these differences by use of the players testing has brought about a very standardized test procedure to eliminate the playing judge being able to influence the results ....fortuneately ....

I don't expect some to agree with my take on these things entirely , but you can see where i'm coming from maybe ..

As always , thanks fer yer interest and input Pierre ...

The winner of this years violin tone award is a student of a well known local builder's school of violin making ...I am always impressed when a student out does the resident masters ...last year a young lady won best cello tone with her first build as well ....violin-1267

Uzi
Georgia

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
October 22, 2014 - 10:38 am
Forum Posts: 973

@tuscon, it doesn't look like the VMAAI publishes the results of the contest.  What benefit does it have to the maker(s), if no one knows who won?  Other than the people present, of course.  As a google expert, I expected to see some photos of the winners, some photos of the winning instruments, some mention of something about it, but a google search turns up the VMAAI page that tells me where it was, when it was and where I could have gotten hotel reservations. I suppose the results may be published in the VMAAI journal, but that's a pretty small audience I think. If I won, I'd want everyone in the world to know it. 

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
October 22, 2014 - 10:39 am
Forum Posts: 16430

Good answer Tucson1. :)
Happy it was a student as well. Do you know the name of this student?

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Tucson1

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
October 22, 2014 - 3:47 pm

Hey Uzi ,

If you were really a good google expert you would have already been on Maestronet PM ing VMAAI members like Don Noon fer all the details of the event that will appear latter in their news letter ...can't expect results unless yer willing to do the work ...jk .

Nice to see yer interested ...I wish they published the test sheets and results right away too ...dang ..i can't remember everything ....

Oh , Pierre ,

Not sure of the names of winners fer each catagory of testing but Zorin Stelin's student , Krunaslove ( not sure of spelling ) won best tone in Viola ..Zorin teaches building classes here in Tucson and has a full service shop ...

My teacher , Ben Nisbet , is one of the playing judges so i'll get filled in on more details at Tuesdays lesson and pass on the info to ya then ...violin-1267

Uzi
Georgia

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
October 22, 2014 - 6:29 pm

@Tucson1, yea.  Well the reason I'm interested is that there are some really top notch fiddle makers over in that part of the country.  Like Nelle O'Neill, over in Carson City, NV, who won best tone back in 2002, I think it was.  I've heard great things about her and her fiddles and her prices are very reasonable -- maybe half or less than other makers would charge for a comparable instrument.  Here's a 13 year old boy playing one of her fiddles.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright

Tucson1

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
October 22, 2014 - 6:38 pm

Uzi ,

Nelle is over eighty years old ...she could stop building at any time if not already so if ya want one of her fiddles ya best get after soon ...bet ya googled that ...jk violin-1267by the way , she has won many awards over the course of many years ...

Uzi
Georgia

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
October 22, 2014 - 9:53 pm
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don't play well enough to deserve to have one of her fiddles. 

Tucson1

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
October 22, 2014 - 11:40 pm
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

UZi ...if ya have a place in yer heart fer fiddles then yer deserving ....violin-1267

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Mark, wtw
Guest(s) 60
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Shell, Squiryl, Schaick, GlassTownCur, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7828
ABitRusty: 3921
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2435
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2155
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31673
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
alicedcoz258, Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5360