• Please begin by telling us anything you would like to about yourself. Age, place of birth, residence, etc.
I’m 18 years old, I live in Minnesota and because there’s some confusion about this, I will let you know that I am a girl! LOL
I have been homeschooled my whole life, but I do take an orchestra class at the local high school. I am also in my second year of PSEO classes from Northwestern College. If you don’t know what PSEO is, it stands for Post Secondary Enrollment Options. It’s an option we have in Minnesota for high school students to take college classes for free. It’s a very nice option!
• What made you decide to play the violin?
I heard violin music on the radio once and thought it was the best thing in the world. I decided that I had to learn how to play the violin. I actually felt like God was calling me to play violin. 🙂
• How long have you been playing the violin?
The 4 year anniversary is on April 14th. 🙂
• How often do you play? How long are your practice sessions?
Every day. 🙂
I usually practice 15 minutes at a time and probably spend a total of 2 hours practicing every day.
• In your opinion, what’s your proficiency on the violin?
• Your greatest personal experience with playing?
Getting picked to be the soloist in orchestra!
• What other instruments do you play?
I can play viola… not very good though. xD
I do own a harmonica too, but I can’t play it to save my life. People say violin is hard? Try playing a harmonica!!
I also have an ocarina, but I’m as good at playing that as I am at the harmonica. I have no idea where to learn how to play ocarina. There’s no Ocarinaman!
• What does music mean to you?
Music is like, my life!
• What or who has been your greatest influence?
God, my parents, my violin teacher, FM, and SaphireRain42 and Sori1004jy on Youtube.
• What are your goals for playing violin? Short and long
I want to keep improving on my playing. 🙂
• What type of violin training?
I have been classically trained.
• How do you warm up?
I don’t usually warm up…
• What is your favorite type of music?
Classical and movie soundtracks are the best! I listen to Vivaldi and the Lord of The Rings and Kung Fu Panda soundtracks a lot. I also like Christian rock a lot!
• What is your favorite piece of music? Why?
I have to pick a favorite piece of music?! Can’t they all be my favorite?
• What are your 2 favorite things to do other than playing violin?
I love to ride horses and play classical arcade games!! My favorite game is PacMan. I am a PacMan fanatic!
• Do you come from a musical family? If so please tell us about them.
My dad’s side of the family is not musical at all. I don’t think anybody from his side of the family ever played an instrument.
My mom’s side of the family is very musical. I’m glad I took after my mom. Hahah!
My mom plays the hammered dulcimer. I have a cousin who also plays violin and another cousin who is a professional luthier.
• Are you a member of any orchestra?
A high school orchestra.
• Do you ever perform publicly?
Yeah, I do a lot of gigs at coffee shops and play in nursing homes for people and at church. 🙂
• Would you please share with us information about your violin and bow and if you have several please tell us about them as well.
Um, well… if you want to know about all of them… it’ll be a long list. xD
I learned how to play on a Cremona SV-175 violin. It was a nice instrument to learn how to play on.
Then a guy named Chris Foss was very nice and traded a Lewis and Son Artisan Signature model violin to my mom. I used that violin for 2 years. It was a great violin and I got it from a great guy. 🙂
Chris Foss makes hammered dulcimers and is a friend of my mom’s. If you want to know more about him, check out his website: songbirdhd.com
Then, I found this Lewis and Son Ton Klar Dancla violin (which is the one I use now) on Ebay with a starting bid of $1. From the pictures, it looked like it was in decent condition. I didn’t think a dollar was too much to pay for it, so I bid on it! It eventual went up to $50, but I still won it!
When I got it, the sound post was out of place. I had a repair guy put it back in place and it sounds amazing now! I really love this violin! But there are some problems with it, so I’m probably going to be getting a different violin soon. 🙁
It has a crack that would cost a ton of money to repair and it’s really heavy! I don’t think a heavier violin has been made!
Well, maybe I’m exaggerating a little, but it’s really heavy!
I also have a blue Cecilio electric violin. 8D
So, that’s all of them! I have 4 violins… violins are like potato chips, you can’t have just one! Hahah!