Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Christmas Things - 2022
The season's upon us--just things (musical or not) you come across or are re-visiting that you'd like to share
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (30 votes) 
SharonC
Members

Regulars
November 30, 2022 - 6:56 pm
Forum Posts: 1528
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

This video was posted 9 years ago, but I just found & watched it last night.  Evidently, The Mormon Tabernacle Choir does really nice productions every year.  Jane Seymour does a wonderful narration.

The lyrics of Good King Wenceslas attached

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Characterize people by their actions and you will never be fooled by their words.

SharonC
Members

Regulars
November 30, 2022 - 7:29 pm

A old album of Christmas Classics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....E9Q4JN-Yek

Characterize people by their actions and you will never be fooled by their words.

ABitRusty
Members

Regulars
November 30, 2022 - 9:08 pm
Forum Posts: 3922

SharonC said
A old album of Christmas Classics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....E9Q4JN-Yek

Great link for Songs!

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
December 1, 2022 - 8:36 am
Forum Posts: 7834

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6c/f3/80/6cf380d88211caa1b45e231e854e7f2f.png

@SharonC -

Really enjoyed the video - hadn't seen it! 

The 'old' 50's/60's Christmas music sure brings back memories of some fabulous films of the times, too.  Haven't heard a few of these tunes in ages! 

Thanks, Sharon - Ho! Ho! Ho!

- Emily

SharonC
Members

Regulars
December 1, 2022 - 9:01 pm

Suki says Merry Christmas!

Suzi_xmas2022.JPGImage Enlarger

She really is a happy cat. . . .

ABitRusty
Members

Regulars
December 1, 2022 - 9:17 pm
Forum Posts: 3922

@SharonC small world.. my son and daughterinlaw have a cat named suki.. calico

yours is just angry because it probably wanted a green scarf. 😂

too funny

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
December 2, 2022 - 10:45 am

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/02/cb/43/02cb4344199f8151c49c79812ec15114.jpg

@SharonC -

OMG! 🤣

What a lovely photo! 

Let me guess... you told Suki she had to sit very still & look cute? 

Christmas Card PURRFECT! 

SharonC
Members

Regulars
December 2, 2022 - 4:55 pm

@ABitRusty  @ELCBK  Suki is usually a ham for the camera. . . and never has this kind of look on her face.  She did not have the stuff on or have to sit for the picture long, I did it quickly--so quick I didn't see the expression until after I was done.  It's okay, she got a lot of treats for her trouble.

SharonC
Members

Regulars
December 2, 2022 - 5:02 pm

Japan + Christmas = Kentucky Fried Chicken!

I lived in Japan for 3 years while I was in the Air Force.  An interesting custom they have is to eat KFC on Christmas--here's an article that describes it:

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/ar.....istmas-day

KFCjapan.jpg

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
December 2, 2022 - 8:22 pm

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6e/97/b3/6e97b360a69e37a555a860a29844e919.jpg@SharonC -

That does not surprise me! 

3 years?  I'm SO envious! 

Kevin had a deployment to Japan, but I never got to go.  I am such a HUGE fan of ALL the old, high quality, traditional crafts, performing arts, and historical aesthetics (love the importance of the seasons)!  I even have an appreciation of some of the pop sub-cultures... thank goodness my Grandkids are showing interest in the arts, too. 

Reminds me I need to teach some of the Kids kumihimo, try to make some small temari-like beads (look like Xmas ornaments!) for a necklace and go back to work on making something interesting out of my playing of Tokyo Bon (Makudonarudo)

Merii Kurisumasu! 

- Emily

JohnG
Greater Chicagoland
Members

Regulars
December 2, 2022 - 9:48 pm
Forum Posts: 1591
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

@SharonC and @ELCBK - I spent a whole two nights at Tachikawa Air Base in Japan in 1964 enroute to deployment in Korea for 13 months. Does that count? Our daughter-in-law has an aunt who currently lives in Japan and the few times she has visited; it has been interesting to talk with her. Fascinating country with great history.

The old curmudgeon!

SharonC
Members

Regulars
December 4, 2022 - 10:24 pm
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

@ELCBK Funny video—I think I was like that guy a lot when I was there, with my map/written directions & quick with the “Kon’nichiwa!” as I was generally confused/lost smile.

@JohnG the base at Tachikawa was turned over to the Japanese in the 70s.  They use it for disaster preparedness now.  I was stationed at Yokota Air Base, about 10 km away.  There’s a train station that’s a large hub in Tachikawa that has a lot shops & restaurants that I would go thru almost every time I used the trains. 

SharonC
Members

Regulars
December 4, 2022 - 11:04 pm

In Italy, the last 9 days before Christmas is called “Novena”, (from the Latin novem—means nine), recognized as the shepherd’s journey time to visit the baby Jesus in the manger. 

This time is traditionally spent caroling & (in southern Italy at least) hearing music of a bagpipe called a Zampogna (bagpipe players called "Zampognari"). 

A traditional and probably the most recognized Christmas Carol associated with the Zampogna is called “Tu scendi dale stelle” (“You Come Down from the Stars”)

Another Zampogna playing video on Christmas Eve:

SharonC
Members

Regulars
December 5, 2022 - 3:36 pm
14sp_Permalink sp_Print

IMG_3816.PNGImage Enlarger

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
December 5, 2022 - 11:29 pm

@SharonC - 

Really appreciate all your Christmassy posts!

I've been surprised at finding traditional bagpipes like the Zampogna all over Europe! 

Great info & LOVE the 'Gingerbread House'! 

THANK YOU!

Was just thinking about when I was child, one of the biggest treats of the Holiday Season was for my Folks to take my Brother and I down to the J.L. Hudson Store on Woodward Avenue, Downtown Detroit. 

It was a child's fantasy at this time of year with 51 display windows you could walk by, many with animated figures and Christmas lights - all set in beautiful Christmas/Winter scenes that would put Disneyland to shame. 

It was a huge building, over 2 million square feet, with memorable architecture, impressively dressed elevator operators, big escalators I thought would eat me alive, Christmas music different on every floor.  There was a floor just for toys, many way too expensive (like other high end department stores), giant Lionel train displays, huge telescopes, musical instruments, giant stuffed animals, and... the 12th floor - a floor just for Santa!  An adventure in itself, a path wound through little animated vignettes of his elves hard at work - and of course it ended with Santa & a photo. 

My heart broke when they closed the doors in 1983, our Daughter never got to experience it.  It was imploded in 1998, but supposed to be redeveloped (not sure if covid delayed this). 

Some great history info & photos of J.L.Hudson's here: https://www.retrokimmer.com/20.....n.html?m=1

I know there were great Department Stores in other large cities. 

Does anyone else have similar memories? 

Are there any places like this left anywhere? 

https://s3.amazonaws.com/pastperfectonline/images/museum_428/124/1982144280.jpgImage Enlarger

Mark
Members

Regulars
December 6, 2022 - 12:06 am
Forum Posts: 2155
16sp_Permalink sp_Print

SharonC

Thank you for posting that picture it made me laugh out loud, needed that.

Thank you,

Mark

Master the Frog and you have mastered the bow.

Albert Sammons

JohnG
Greater Chicagoland
Members

Regulars
December 8, 2022 - 9:43 pm
Forum Posts: 1591
17sp_Permalink sp_Print

A chocolate violin (5 string even). Found this on FaceBook!

Chocolate-Violin-from-FB.jpgImage Enlarger

The old curmudgeon!

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
December 8, 2022 - 11:42 pm

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3d/86/cf/3d86cfadadbd2e97b0953340cac46926.jpg@JohnG -

OMG! 

What a stunning work of craftsmanship & vision! 

I LOVE the feeling that a made-made object (a violin) is transforming, right before my eyes - into something organic (a plant - roots, vines, leaves), like it's becoming more alive, or maybe it's the other way around & the organic elements are creating a fabulous musical instrument! 

Either way, it's enough of a feast for my eyes & imagination... I want to touch it!

Hope no one is entertaining the thought of devouring this work of art! 😖 

Mark
Members

Regulars
December 9, 2022 - 12:00 am
Forum Posts: 2155
19sp_Permalink sp_Print

ELCBK, says,

Hope no one is entertaining the thought of devouring this work of art! [Image Can Not Be Found] 

To late 

Mark

Master the Frog and you have mastered the bow.

Albert Sammons

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
December 9, 2022 - 9:34 am
Forum Posts: 16430
20sp_Permalink sp_Print

That chocolate is so beautiful that I don't think I could eat it. lol

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Strabo
Guest(s) 88
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Shell, Squiryl, Schaick, GlassTownCur, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7834
ABitRusty: 3922
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2435
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2155
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31673
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
alicedcoz258, Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5361