Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Family entertainment - circa late 1930's
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (1 votes) 
Helvetika
The Paris of the Prairies Saskatoon SK Canada
Members
July 23, 2013 - 9:05 pm
Forum Posts: 88
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

r-m.-m-02311.jpgImage Enlarger

Here is 1 pic & a double exposure of my aunts when they were very young, playing or pretending to play the piano and the fiddle.  They may have been hamming it up for the camera, as the family did not own one, so it must have been a visitor taking it that day.  A friend and neighbor, known as Bennie Askelson, used to build violins in his log shack.  My dad tells me he invented the 'askelphone' which was a violin with some sort of phone attached (like a gramophone, or a wind instrument).  My parents now live on Bennie's quarter.  The log shack still exists but there is not much left of it and the road is too overgrown to drive on.  You can walk, as its not far, but there is too many bears in the bush so I have not checked it out in some years.  Bennie didn't like to work, but he was always inventing something, and playing, building instruments.  He would help my grampa and would refuse to take pay for it, as then it became work.  These 2 aunts and my dad are all that is left of a family of 13.  This fiddle in the pic, may be the one that my uncle George used to play, and now my cousin has it, although no one in the family has taken it up, except for myself, altho my youngest aunt plans to when she finally stops working 2 jobs at age 75!  Tough Irishmen, women!  To give you an idea of how long ago these things all took place, my grampa was in the Klondike gold rush, born around 1875, and my dad and his 2 sisters, the youngest of 13, are now 85, 77, 75.  I love listening to the old stories and would like to record them when they are reminiscing.

Helvetika (Cindy)

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
StoneDog
Members

Regulars
July 23, 2013 - 9:38 pm
Forum Posts: 888
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Its in your blood > BRING IT > bring their SPIRIT to us. Bring it via your viddle.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
July 24, 2013 - 9:11 am
Forum Posts: 16430

Very cool Cindy. smile

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 73
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Shell, Squiryl, GlassTownCur, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7828
ABitRusty: 3921
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2435
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2154
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31673
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
alicedcoz258, Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5359