Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Music in the Valley 2018
Old time music jam & wine tasting
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
damfino
my own little world
Members

Regulars
July 9, 2018 - 2:17 pm
Forum Posts: 2113
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

This years Music in the Valley at Hale Farm and Village in Bath, Ohio is this coming weekend. The event is free for anyone who brings an instrument. The property is broke up into two sections, split down the middle by a small country road. One side of the road is various groups sitting around playing music, the other side is hired bands and wine tasting. 

My goal since last year was to be well prepared for this event, but my elbow issue has really set me back more than I planned. I'm still bringing my fiddle, and the few tunes I have up to speed that I learned for this, but I can't play the whole day like I had hoped, my elbow won't allow for much playing at all. Oh well, so it goes, haha. But I'll be there, anyway. Trying to plan being there for both days.

https://www.wrhs.org/events/mu.....al-2-copy/

☆•*¨*•¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆•*¨*•¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆•*¨*•.¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆
World's Okayest Fiddler
☆•*¨*•.¸¸¸.•*¨* •☆•*¨*¨*•¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
July 10, 2018 - 10:05 pm
Forum Posts: 16429

Sounds like fun. Looking forward to hearing all about it! Hopefully, your elbow won't act up but maybe bring some Ibuprofen with you to help with pain and inflammation. I find that this does the trick with many other instances and situations. Also, don't forget how important it is not to stress your body and be relaxed while playing.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

damfino
my own little world
Members

Regulars
July 11, 2018 - 8:36 am

I've got my elbow brace, so hopefully that will help (so far I can't tell if it is helping, or making me more aware of the pain, haha), but I'll have to remember to throw some pain killers in my bag. They haven't worked on it lately, but I'm willing to try. I have my first physical therapy session today, so hopefully it'll start getting better soon... not in time for this weekend, but I'll just be happy to avoid surgery, haha.

I'm normally relaxed when I play, but since I don't play around people very much, I expect I'll be pretty tense and have to keep reminding myself to loosen up.

World's Okayest Fiddler

damfino
my own little world
Members

Regulars
July 16, 2018 - 10:57 am

My elbow did pretty good, even without a brace (too hot, didn't want anything extra on my arm, haha). 

There is a group of people there that meet under the same tree every year that are really helpful to beginners, and very welcoming, so I sat in with them a little bit Saturday and a few hours Sunday. I didn't know a lot of the tunes they played, but it was fun trying to work out the tunes, and I made a few recordings of them playing tunes I'd like to work out or learn their variation.

Saturday I ended up hanging out in a one room log cabin with the workers in there playing the fiddle and sharing sheet music and teaching other museum guests how to try playing the fiddle, that was all unplanned but a good way to stay out of the sun, haha.

Overall a fun event, people were camping down the road and making a whole weekend trip of it. Even with the horrible heat, there was a good turnout of musicians gathering under trees all over the place. And then of course the wine tasting is always fun :)  

Here are a few random pictures. Two with me were taken by one of the other people in the jam under the tree. The others are the 1800s log cabin I fiddled around in, a girl spinning yarn with her fiddle next to her, and bow in her lap; and then two of the group I hung out with.

Again, a fun event, and one I would recommend to people in the area :)  

PS. The purple bow I got from Fiddlershop is always a big hit here, haha.

smallDSCN3538bedit_edited-1.jpgImage EnlargerSMALLDSCN3540edit_edited-1.jpgImage EnlargerSMALLIMG_2223edit_edited-1.jpgImage EnlargerSMALLIMG_2250edit_edited-1.jpgImage EnlargerSMALLIMG_2272edit_edited-1.jpgImage EnlargerSMALLIMG_2328edit_edited-1.jpgImage Enlarger

World's Okayest Fiddler

damfino
my own little world
Members

Regulars
July 16, 2018 - 1:20 pm

Here is a video of short clips I recorded there... I mostly recorded these if there was something I wanted to watch back and learn from, but thought I'd share. My great uncle made a recording of when I was playing, but I don't have that copy yet :)

World's Okayest Fiddler

OldOgre
OhiO
Members

Regulars
July 16, 2018 - 3:51 pm
Forum Posts: 244

Sounds like you had a great time.. sorry I missed it.

With violins there is no fretting over the music.

damfino
my own little world
Members

Regulars
July 17, 2018 - 8:50 am

@OldOgre There is always next year :) They always have it in July, and I'm going to keep working towards being able to play more tunes with them :) This year was too miserable hot anyway, so you can consider yourself having been saved from that, haha. 

World's Okayest Fiddler

bocaholly
Boca Raton, Florida
Members

Regulars
July 17, 2018 - 9:59 am
Forum Posts: 694

Very cool, damfino, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing the clip shot by your great uncle with you in it! So glad you had a happy experience... with the other folks and with your elbow.

There's this healthy breeze in the tree leaves so it actually looks nice an cool. Deceptive!

Best,

Holly

damfino
my own little world
Members

Regulars
July 17, 2018 - 11:04 am

@bocaholly That breeze was super helpful, but it was super hot and humid all weekend, so it wasn't as much help as everyone would have wished, haha. Everyone was pretty soaked with sweat at gross, no avoiding it, haha. We all smelled bad, hahaha. 

World's Okayest Fiddler

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
July 17, 2018 - 1:21 pm
Forum Posts: 16429
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sweat can be a problem. LOL
Glad you enjoyed it and I'm also looking forward to seeing the video with you in it.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Mimi Aysha
Members

Regulars
July 22, 2018 - 4:57 pm
Forum Posts: 382
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looks like a gorgeous place....and a lot of fun! Happy you got to go and play.

damfino
my own little world
Members

Regulars
July 24, 2018 - 11:24 am
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Mimi Aysha It is a beautiful area, it's a living history museum centered around one of the homes of one of the early settlers there, in the middle of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, so it is a beautiful setting to sit and play music. The man that settled on this land, Johnathan Hale, had been a fiddler, they said he liked to sit out on his front porch fiddling (the house is the one in the picture at the beginning of the video), and often had gatherings in his home with people playing music. So it's kind of neat to think it's just a way of carrying on his own tradition of playing music in this area. 

World's Okayest Fiddler

Mimi Aysha
Members

Regulars
July 24, 2018 - 6:20 pm
Forum Posts: 382
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

What a wonderful piece of history hidden away there, and with the great scenery, I'm sure it's just a divine place to go play!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Gordon Shumway
Guest(s) 79
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today RCall
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, Ms-G, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, Bobby, Elaisa, Michael Browder, EBurrell, Gordon Shumway, ViolinD, dougga, MoonShadows, Astandane, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7718
ABitRusty: 3896
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2422
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2138
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31657
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10581
Newest Members:
bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo, rubble_b, mariachi, avagrey92, Alison, David
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5296