Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Yukon Quest 2016
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
Georganne
Members

Regulars
February 2, 2016 - 3:10 pm
Forum Posts: 993
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

As some of you know I work for a remote checkpoint for the Yukon Quest 1000 Mile International Sled Dog Race.  Well, this year I am the checkpoint manager, hence my low activity on the forum lately.  It's a lot of work getting ready to open the checkpoint.  The checkpoint is a few old cabins that are used by the owner in the summer for his gold mining operation.  Yes, that still goes on up here in Alaska.  Anyways, if you want to follow the race you can do so with trackers now at http://www.yukonquest.com.  Or if you want to learn more about what happens at checkpoints, here is our new group.  https://www.facebook.com/group.....mile101/  We have a lot of fun there and normally have a terrific group of people.

Here are my volunteer patches on my fiddle case.  Going to run out of room one of these days.

patches.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Opportunity is often missed because it wears suspenders and looks like hard work.

Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North Country

Rob C

Members
February 2, 2016 - 4:05 pm
Forum Posts: 38

Very cool. In 2000 I drove from Arizona to Anchorage through the Yukon. Beautiful place!

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
February 2, 2016 - 4:37 pm
Forum Posts: 3744

Cool, followed your posts last year on the Iditarod - I apologise for my ignorance of the Alaskan country and the various routes - I assume the "Yukon Quest" is something "similar, but different" ?   ... Bill goes to check it out... LOL      ahhh.. right - got it - that IS cool - yeah !!!  Sweet - I'll bet you get some great pictures to post/share - have a good time out there, nice !

Hmmm - both of the links failed with page not available - for info here - trying to access from UK ( yes, sometimes it matters because of blacklisting ) - also - yup - we have had some internet issues today - so it might just be at my end....  I'll try again later / tomorrow Georganne...  I get this right now - 

pna.JPGImage Enlarger

... as I say - could be this end...  I'll check it tomorrow - and good luck on the YQ - it is a lot of effort - well done - and play fiddle when you can !

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

Georganne
Members

Regulars
February 2, 2016 - 9:38 pm

Hmm I'll try again. https://www.facebook.com/groups/mile101/

http://yukonquest.com/

Me and the dog lot manager always stay an extra night after everyone has left to sit around the wood stove, bullsh*t, drink beer, and play the fiddle.  Good times.  

Opportunity is often missed because it wears suspenders and looks like hard work.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
February 6, 2016 - 10:03 pm
Forum Posts: 16429

Enjoy the race, and don't work too hard. :)

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Schaick
Members

Regulars
February 9, 2016 - 7:10 am
Forum Posts: 878

1stimestar Thanks for that link very cool.  Stay safe and warm!!

Violinist start date -  May 2013  

Fiddler start date - May 2014

FIDDLE- Gift from a dear friend. A 1930-40 german copy, of a french copy of a Stradivarius.  BOW - $50 carbon fiber. Strings - Dominants with E Pirastro Gold string.

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
February 9, 2016 - 1:04 pm
Forum Posts: 3744

Awesome !!!!   I shared your friend's recent post on FB, Georganne !

https://www.facebook.com/photo.....38;theater

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

Georganne
Members

Regulars
February 18, 2016 - 5:16 am

Lol thanks.  Yes I got interviewed as the new Checkpoint Manager, it was in the paper.  I was also interviewed by a Japanese film crew that was following along filming a Japanese musher.  

http://www.newsminer.com/mushi.....d704f.html

It was quite exciting, though it's getting harder and taking longer to recover from 36 hours of no sleep!  I learned a lot though thankfully, none of the lessons were painful.  Can't wait to do it again next year.  This year the start was in Fairbanks so when they get to us they are still pretty bunched up, 36 hours solid then done.  Next year they start in Whitehorse so by the time they get to us they are pretty spread out.  Takes more time but we get more sleep.  I lucked out with a super great crew, most of them new.  We had all these young women who just kicked hiney.  3 of them are up here doing their masters for Archeology, one of them came up from Hawaii to do this.  We also had 3 other guys and one other gal but they all left early before we had time for pictures.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xal1/v/t1.0-9/11138130_10156452825365697_5061220742982836616_n.jpg?oh=d21aa70fdc55857dcd9f56d0fa04d8c8&oe=576B5E2B

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 101
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, wonderputz, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7760
ABitRusty: 3915
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31662
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10590
Newest Members:
SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5309