Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Carlo Lorenzini CVL 1932 with damage from fine tuner
can/should anything be done with damage to top from fine tuner
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
micra
Members
February 24, 2015 - 8:56 am
Forum Posts: 93
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I have this old 3/4 violin that is really in fairly excellent shape (needs strings and bridge) except for some unfortunate damage which probably is due to the strings and tailpiece being loose for decades when this was moved from house to house...   I don't have a picture of the damage because it's hard to see with the tailpiece on, and I can't really tell how deep but it almost looks like it's just the finish and maybe a slight indentation into the spruce...    maybe if someone thinks they could give better advice by seeing, I will take the strings off and take a pic of it?  Anyway, here's some pics I took of the rest...  honestly, plucking on the G string it has a really nice resonance to it...  I'm really tempted to take it to a luthier (though I'll have to travel to do so) and see what it would cost to bring it back to playing status.  I'm just afraid of what it might cost to do so...  also, if this fine tuner damage would make it pointless to do so.  what do you guys think?

CVL label

violin back

violin front

augustoad
Ponta Grossa, Paraná - Brazil
Members

Regulars
February 24, 2015 - 2:11 pm
Forum Posts: 229

I'd say take it to a luthier when you have the chance. I presume a 4/4 would be more comfortable for you anyways, but having an extra violin is always nice. :)

Skype: augustoad Email: [email protected] Phone number/whatsapp: +55 42 9861-4084. I'd be happy to talk anything fiddle-related to anyone! :)

Uzi
Georgia

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
February 24, 2015 - 2:47 pm
Forum Posts: 973

I agree with @augustoad, you should probably take it to a luthier.  However, a broken fine tuner is no big deal and it can probably be replaced all by itself or at worst you'd have to get a whole new tailpiece.  Even with a new bridge and strings, it shouldn't be very expensive at all to get it 100% fixed up.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright

micra
Members
February 24, 2015 - 3:31 pm

Uzi said
However, a broken fine tuner is no big deal and it can probably be replaced all by itself or at worst you'd have to get a whole new tailpiece.  Even with a new bridge and strings, it shouldn't be very expensive at all to get it 100% fixed up.

The fine tuner is fine.  Boy does that sound weird...  ha!

But seriously, it's not the fine tuner, it's that the bottom of the fine tuner sort of scratched/dug in a little to the wood of the violin.  Maybe I'll go ahead and get a better picture of the damage.  That is what I'm concerned may make taking to a luthier a waste of time for me...

as for playing it, I probably could...  also it has some "sentimental" value... 

micra
Members
February 25, 2015 - 9:22 am

by the way, i've noticed some posts have images inserted into them.  i can't see how to insert an image other than via hyperlink.  if anyone can tell me how, i'd appreciate it.  would save people having to click on a link to see what i'm talking about here.

so i removed the tailpiece and took some more pics.  also examined with 10x loupe- it appears to me that this is all just varnish damage.  it doesn't look like i'm going to get any advice short of sending this to a luthier for evaluation, so that's what i'm going to do.

damage from fine tuner

same type of damage at the bridge

the varnish is OLD

Uzi
Georgia

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
February 25, 2015 - 11:03 am
Forum Posts: 973

That's not damage, that's just a scratch. No violin's finish stays perfect. There are no structural issues that I can see in those pictures.  Everything is fine. The bridge will almost always blemish the varnish a little and over time you'll get little dings, etc. In fact, nowadays they pre-ding violins to make them look old -- like stone washed jeans. Yours got that way through honest use.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright

micra
Members
February 25, 2015 - 12:44 pm

Thanks @Uzi!  I didn't know- but I sent the same pics to the best luthier I know of that's close by (only about 4 hours drive) and they confirmed that it's just minor spot touch up, maybe an hour of labor max, and with a full clean and polish is would look great once again.  It will probably be awhile before I get this done, but I definitely am going to, and will try to remember to follow-up with the result by adding to this thread when I do.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 118
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today Michael Browder, EBurrell
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7759
ABitRusty: 3915
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31662
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10589
Newest Members:
SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5305