Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
AK K550. Pure Evil. =)
Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 (9 votes) 
Mad_Wed
Russia, Tatarstan rep. Kazan city
Members

Regulars
August 20, 2012 - 6:46 pm
Forum Posts: 2849
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

LOL! I have to learn to play not just violin, i have to learn to play on K550.

I took it and understood that this person is unfamiliar to me! We have to know better each other first...devil

It has the great sound projection! And sound is even! Plenty of overtones (my "old" has only high overtones even on low strings).

So all my work on dynamics is useless now - i don't have to hide all those popping up notes that i have on my "old" violin. Before i had to squeeze the sound from lows and highs - now they sound by themselves, as easy as middles laugh! So my dynamics are too anfractuous (sorry about that again) for THIS violin LOL! And it provides much wider diapason of available dynamics where one can flow without any efforts. tongue Sometimes i'll use it! rofl

Strong, fascinating lows and beautiful, wide highs drooling. My "old" sounds too flat and dull after AK... Can't wait to hear what my teacher will say about it. Now i want to hear it, being played someone else in the room =)amusedroolingdancing

birthday_balloonThis Violin is evil! birthday_balloonI've tried to put it down about 3 hours, closed the case and left it in the other room, but suddenly The Violin was in my hands .devil..again... I won't be wondered if i'll wake up tomorrow somewhere near it. 

For those, who likes to hear the difference:

WARNING: The SOUND of AK K550 is too big to fit my poor recorder. But even with the loooow quality of the record and my playing, the difference is obvious... i guess dancinbunny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....vE477uyn5E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....jWSXTnCFyM

Kevin M.
Nicholson, Pa
Members

Regulars
August 20, 2012 - 7:12 pm
Forum Posts: 1973

I don't know which one is which but I like number 1 best.

Definition of ANFRACTUOUS: full of windings and intricate turnings

Definition of DIAPASON. 1. a: a burst of sound <diapasons of laughter>

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
August 20, 2012 - 8:23 pm
Forum Posts: 1760

I agree with Kevin. I like #1 the best. Your playing is beautiful in both recordings, but #1 seems to have more depth.

BTW, I inadvertently started the second video before the first one had ended and it sounded like a duet. Nice! :)

When the work's all done and the sun's settin' low,

I pull out my fiddle and I rosin up the bow.

Fiddlestix
Michigan, USA

King
Members

Regulars
August 20, 2012 - 9:06 pm
Forum Posts: 2647

Beautiful ,, I like # 1 also, but the both sound so nice.  Great job playing.   dancing

screeeech

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
August 20, 2012 - 9:20 pm
Forum Posts: 196

I glad to hear you love yours too!thumbs-up

dancingdancingdancingdancingdancingdancingdancingdancingdancingdancingdancingdancingdancingdancingdancing

MikeV
Wisconsin

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
August 20, 2012 - 9:49 pm
Forum Posts: 120

I must agree.... I like #1 better as well. It sounds warmer than #2.
your playing sounds wonderfull ! I could listen to you play for hours. banana
well done!!!!! thumbs-up

"The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work." - Mark Twain

ozmous

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
August 20, 2012 - 10:08 pm
Forum Posts: 328

that's one lovely lady you've got there!

you play beautifully! very magnificent!

now for my criticism; number 1 emits it's "voice" from deep within it self, soulful! number 2 doesn't have those echo-y sounds, and it sounds like it is locked inside a box.

cheers! - ⁰ℨ

cdennyb
King for a Day, Peasant for many
Members

Regulars
August 20, 2012 - 11:27 pm
Forum Posts: 1817

well, I can't tell which one is better or which I prefer more than the other... in fact I couldn't tell them apart so I ran the recordings thru my sound analysis program and what developed was almost an identical trace for both recordings.

No wonder I couldn't tell them apart. In fact I'd almost swear they were made by the same violin.

dunno

sound-analysis-for-Mad_Wed.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

"If you practice with your hands you must practice all day. Practice with your mind and you can accomplish the same amount in minutes." Nathan Milstein

Mad_Wed
Members

Regulars
August 22, 2012 - 1:12 pm

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!

roflol

Thanks guys! And thank You, Dennis for the analysis!

I guess i have a strange taste then!

You all prefered my "old" LOL!

Actually the same thing told my mom, when i asked her to listen. She said that my "old" is stronger and louder. She didn't understand why i started laughing at that moment... I said "Ok" and continued my practice, my mom returned to the other room and continued her businesses there..... Then, in about 15 minutes she went back and said: "I don't know what violin have you played last 5 minutes, but that violin is obviosly better, the other one has sticky sound, that pops up from the violin and falls down on the floor, i believe it was the new one, return that violin back!". I just showed her the sticker inside of that "obviously better violin".... My "old" doesn't have any stickers =). Mom told that now she understands my laugh at her first reaction. =)

Anyway it was really curious! rofl

Thanks again, everyone!

I have to learn now how to manage that monster....amuse

roflol

ftufc
SoCal
Members

Regulars
August 22, 2012 - 2:56 pm
Forum Posts: 727
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

This is such an interesting thread Naska!  Yeah, before I read everyone else's comments and Denny's analysis, I liked #1 better (I actually thought #1 was your new one), it just sounds fuller and a bit richer, but very similar characteristics coming from each. It shocked me that Denny's analysis showed almost identical results!

And NASKA!!!!!  What absolutely beautiful playing,,,, you did a wonderful job!!!

Kevin M.
Nicholson, Pa
Members

Regulars
August 22, 2012 - 3:41 pm
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

My daughter got it right and liked your new one better.

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
August 23, 2012 - 1:31 am
Forum Posts: 4180
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Darling Naska!

My lame two cents.... Loved them both... great playing.  I could not distinguish.  I only hope to play like that.. Good show.  Congrats on your new beloved violin.   I am really hoping to get a second "serious" violin sometime...My pink one is a toy and doesn't count. 

Loved  your recording and I am so glad  your new evil demon violin arrived!

woooo hoooo.... get passionate, addicted and all gooey over it... it is the best of days when a new violin arrives.

xo

Toni

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

Barry
Members

Regulars
August 23, 2012 - 7:22 am
Forum Posts: 2690
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

I liked #2 better, but hey, what do I know

violin-1267

There is no shame in playing twinkle, youre playing Mozart

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
August 23, 2012 - 2:36 pm
Forum Posts: 16430
14sp_Permalink sp_Print

I know how that violin plays so I know you have a great violin in your procession. Having said that, I would like to say that a recorder cannot recreate the real quality of a violin unless you have great equipment (Expensive microphone, preamp and recorder). Most of the cheap microphones are built into the recording device which gives a boxed in sound which is not natural. The microphones should be outwards and not inside a box.
Look forward to hearing how your teacher likes the new violin. smile

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Kevin M.
Nicholson, Pa
Members

Regulars
August 23, 2012 - 7:14 pm
15sp_Permalink sp_Print

Why don't we all come over and we can have you play for us. Can you put all of us up in your house?

Mad_Wed
Members

Regulars
August 24, 2012 - 5:43 pm
16sp_Permalink sp_Print

LOL again =)

Agreed with Pierre.. I warned that "The SOUND of AK K550 is too big to fit my poor recorder." But anyway the test was fair. Still love my Evil even on recording =) I should admit though that my "old" is more open for now, but there's a poor potential for its future.. And unfortunately open is not = beautiful...

Thanks everybody for your feedback and compliments!, heart

@coolpinkone - Love your attitude, You are so positive everytime thumbs-up I wish You to find YOUR violin either. cheers The day will come, don't worry =)

Kevin M. said
Why don't we all come over and we can have you play for us. Can you put all of us up in your house?

That would be cool! LOL! But only if some of you guys will agree to listen to my playing while sitting in the closet confusedrofl /Joking/

Fiddlerman said
Look forward to hearing how your teacher likes the new violin. smile

Me too... She's on vacation right now.... droolingdroolingdrooling

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
August 24, 2012 - 5:47 pm
Forum Posts: 4180
17sp_Permalink sp_Print

It is good to  know ...  (kinda) that most recording devices can't accurately capture the the true sound of the violin.   So that makes me "better" in real life?  ha ha... the first time I really noticed this was at the recital. At the recital the sound was beautiful.  But on video it sounds like a middle school marching band. :)

@ Naska..thank you .. right back atcha!

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

Fiddlestix
Michigan, USA

King
Members

Regulars
August 24, 2012 - 5:54 pm
18sp_Permalink sp_Print

Webcam's definately don't get it for sound.   dazed

DanielB
Regulars

Members
August 24, 2012 - 7:09 pm
Forum Posts: 2379
19sp_Permalink sp_Print

Webcam mics and etc can still be useful for the sort of check Cdennyb does.  The peaks and valleys which show how even or uneven the frequency response of an instrument is will still show up.  A cheap mic may not have a "flat response", but they tend to be lacking in the entire high or low end rather than having sharp jagged bits on the graphs.

But for actually sounding good on a recording?  It can be worth getting a mic that is at least a bit better.  It doesn't take a "great" mic to sound pretty good.  There are plenty out there for 100$ (USD) or less where even an expert might have trouble telling they didn't cost 1,000$ or more from just listening to a finished recording.  If you want to make recordings that actually sound good, you pretty much have to get at least an ok mic, since the ones built into digital cameras, webcams or computer monitors or that are made for chat/skype communication just won't give you a very natural sound with any acoustic instrument.

"This young wine may have a lot of tannins now, but in 5 or 10 years it is going to be spectacular, despite the fact that right now it tastes like crude oil. You know this is how it is supposed to taste at this stage of development." ~ Itzhak Perlman

Fiddlestix
Michigan, USA

King
Members

Regulars
August 24, 2012 - 11:13 pm
20sp_Permalink sp_Print

DanielB said
Webcam mics and etc can still be useful for the sort of check Cdennyb does.  But for actually sounding good on a recording?  It can be worth getting a mic that is at least a bit better. 

That was my whole point.   

I have a seperate mic I used when I played and sung in bar's and club's year's back, but I don't know how to use it with my webcam.   dunno

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Gordon Shumway
Guest(s) 81
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Shell, Squiryl, GlassTownCur, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7828
ABitRusty: 3921
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2435
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2154
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31672
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog, Adityaail
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5355