Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Ming Jiang Zhu G909A review
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (4 votes) 
starise
Members

Regulars
April 2, 2021 - 10:31 am
Forum Posts: 447
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I just wanted to throw a big thank you out to Fiddlerman and team for making it possible for me to own a pretty nice violin at a very fair price.

I recently ordered a Holstein 3 star pernambuco bow and the Ming Jiang Zhu g909A violin.

The "G" in the model number denotes a Guarneri body style. Not exactly sure how this differs from a strad body but I love it!

I have played for roughly 6 years on various violins. I seriously loose count. Three of my violins would be in the 1000-1500 dollar range as basic intermediate starters in most violin shops. The rest of my violins are student beginner violins in the 200.00 range.

I have felt for quite some time my violin and bow were holding me back slightly. I didn't have 10-15K to spend on a violin so I simply dealt with things the best I could. To be fair, the other violins were playable just a little more difficult to play some things. Since I am just now beginning to get into third position scales I needed a violin capable of full expression on all strings at all positions.

There were a few adjustments I needed to make. On my last violin I used a middle chin rest. I didn't think to ask Fiddlerman for that , so I transferred the rest form my other violin temporarily. I have also been playing lately using only a sponge with no shoulder rest. The tone and feel of the playing experience seemed to open up for me playing without a mechanical contraption on the violin. I go back and forth, but right now this seems to be working for me ok.

I am very happy with the tone and setup of this violin. I notice my bow seems to hit the E string more when playing the A string than on my previous violin. This appears to be a slight difference in the bridge design that I'm "acclimating" to or trying to. Some of the difference may also be due to the Paul Infield strings Fiddlerman put on the violin. I don't usually play with these strings and have preferred Tonica most of the time. I attribute most of these things to me acclimating to a new instrument. The instrument is very responsive and sounds great!

As I understand it the Ming Jiang Zhu G909A violin isn't a workshop violin like the higher end Mings are, yet there is close supervision on the assembly with high end materials used. I think this makes a big difference in the way the violin plays and sounds. This violin has a wonderful "ring" and lots of harmonics on all strings.

I feel I made a good choice in this violin and in using Fiddlerman as my source.

I'll have to post a video sometime of me playing it.

Thanks to the Fiddlerman team!

Mouse
April 2, 2021 - 10:55 am
Forum Posts: 5359
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

Wonderfully written review. That was very helpful and should be for others in search of a new violin.

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

ABitRusty
Members

Regulars
April 2, 2021 - 11:22 am
Forum Posts: 3921

Hey Tim @starise !  congrats on the new violin!  good review.  good to hear whats new there.  youve been awol..gonna have to work on that!  laugh

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
April 2, 2021 - 12:38 pm
Forum Posts: 7828

@starise -

Great review! 

Can't wait to hear your new Ming Jiang Zhu g909A! 

giphy.gif 

...celebration in the Party Room!

- Emily

Mark
Members

Regulars
April 2, 2021 - 4:14 pm
Forum Posts: 2154

starise

Great review, grats on the new fiddle,  hope everything is good.

Mark 

Master the Frog and you have mastered the bow.

Albert Sammons

starise
Members

Regulars
April 8, 2021 - 9:25 am
Forum Posts: 447

Thank you.

All is well here. @ABitRusty I plan to get back to these parts sometime soon.  I have a bunch of things going on, don't we all?

Thanks to all the rest who commented. I don't think I'll be outplaying this violin any time soon. If it doesn't sound right, it isn't the violin.serenade

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
May 24, 2021 - 3:28 pm
Forum Posts: 16430

Timothy, we really appreciate you taking the time to write the review. I'm super pleased to know how happy you are with the Ming!!!

Thanks so much!

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Mouse, stringy
Guest(s) 76
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Shell, Squiryl, GlassTownCur, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7828
ABitRusty: 3921
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2435
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2154
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31673
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
alicedcoz258, Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5359