Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Scott Cao 750
I am buying a new violin and am thinking about getting the Scott Cao 750.
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (1 votes) 
happyjet

Advanced member
Members
November 16, 2014 - 10:15 am
Forum Posts: 63
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I am buying a new violin and am thinking about getting the Scott Cao 750.

Anyone got any reviews about it?

Playing a piece is easy... Playing it right is not...

Uzi
Georgia

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
November 16, 2014 - 12:35 pm
Forum Posts: 973

@happyjet there are a bunch of videos on YouTube about that fiddle.  From what I can gather,   they are excellent violins. Certainly Scott Cao is well known and respected in the  business, so you know for sure it's not junk.  The 750 series is their mid-priced violin and the backs are made from Chinese maple, whereas the more expensive 850 series uses european maple.  How much difference does that make?  I have no idea, but I doubt that you or I could tell the difference. I don't know about you, but if I see nice flames, then I think it's good maple (even though I may thump the wood to test for tone, I do so at about the same level of expertise as someone who kicks tires to judge the quality of a car). I think the same business model holds true for the GCV and MJZ violins as well.

The formula, for the math inclined is: more desirable wood + more experienced luthiers = way more dollars.  

The 750 signature series also has copies of at least a dozen different famous fiddles, both Strad and Guarneri. If you decide that's the direction to go, you will have even more deciding to do. "Hmmm, do I want the Soil copy, the King Joseph or the Vieuxtemps.   Oh, wait, maybe I'll get the Kreisler..."   Good luck with that decision. lumpy-2134  

Whichever way you decide to go, Scott Cao, Scott Cao famous fiddle copy, FM GCV soloist, FM GCV famous fiddle copy, MJZ, you're going to end up with a good sounding instrument that sounds great, looks good, is easy to play and will serve you well for many many years.  Have fun deciding and I can't wait to hear whatever you get. 

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
November 18, 2014 - 10:43 am
Forum Posts: 16429

I played on one yesterday and am definitely satisfied with it. I would have made a review but the room that we record in also has a desk with a customer service phone and computer. Very disturbing for Mike when customers call. LOL
Pretty much the whole building will hear the violin while I'm recording. Have to wait for off hours to do it, providing I find the time as well. ;)

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

happyjet

Advanced member
Members
November 18, 2014 - 3:19 pm
Forum Posts: 63

OK thanks

:)

Playing a piece is easy... Playing it right is not...

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 113
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today Michael Browder, EBurrell
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7759
ABitRusty: 3915
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31662
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10589
Newest Members:
SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5306