Check out the “Let it Snow” Xmas 2020 Group youtube project!”
Thanks for the comment mouse, I am a bit fed up at the moment to be honest, stopped progressing and actually going backwards at the moment, I had a teacher lined up and was hoping for lessons in January but thats all finished again now with our lockdowns. I am probably finished with violin for a while now and am going to go back to guitar and banjo, when I record myself I hear where I am going wrong but cant fix my faults to do that I need a teacher. its very frustrating.
Thanx for sharing such a lovely piece - you're looking good!
I really admire your dedication - you've worked very hard and it does show!
But, what's got you feeling so frustrated (you don't have to answer me)?
The only thing I saw here was maybe you rushed in a few spots. I don't play with a metronome, so I have the same problem sometimes. You can help yourself by playing along with something like this for a while, until you get used to it.
Why can't you play your other instruments AND your violin?
I may be presumptuous here Ron, TAKE A BREATH (or 2 - lol).
- We all get frustrated with our fiddle!
- I seem to remember you have a pretty strict & lengthy practice regiment - maybe just cut the time down, simplify it for a while so you can spend time on your other instruments, also.
- Nothing wrong with striving for perfection, but being too hard on yourself can be self-defeating (BTDT), the instrument itself poses enough problems!
- If you stop practicing your fiddle altogether, how can you possibly improve?
I'm sticking my neck out (feel free to tell me to mind my own business), but these are my thoughts.
Really would be a shame if you quit, even for a week, because I think you're doing great! I believe if you just continue playing (enjoying!) the tunes you love, you'll get past your block.
- Some members here have had to quit for a while because of injury, but think you'll find they wish they hadn't been forced to.
- Realistically, how many other "Roman Kim's" do you know of, that win competitions after just 2 years of playing? How long have you been playing?
- You've gotten very far without a teacher, what would you like one to do for you now? Seriously, got a list?
- If you have some specific issues you want someone "qualified" to help you with, PM Pierre (try twice - may take him a bit to get back to you), he's always offered help to anyone who's asked (he's VERY qualified)!
- If he can't help you I'm sure he'll refer you to someone who can.
← Btw, are you able to view my GIFs (like this one)?
I hope you feel differently , tomorrow.
Your friend & fellow struggling fiddler,
I just realized you never posted anything in my Celtic Christmas Thread. Did you even know there was one? I was curious if you'd played any of the tunes, or maybe it wasn't worth commenting on (which is fine)?
Thanks for taking the time to reply Emily, yes I can see your gif, in the same way you seem to be able to read my mind, I honestly hadn’t seen your xmas thread, I will take a look at it. I will take all your insights to heart. Lots of things are troubling me at the moment, as for my playing, I don’t know what bothers me the most, tone, flat, wrong notes, phrasing, or just when I listen to something that I have recorded. lack of progress more than anything I suppose, it’s a lot of work to put in for very little gain, this maybe is where I think a teacher may help, but again who knows, it may be no different. All I can do is thank you for the encouragement, said it before you are a good person.
Sorry, should have given you the link - awful lot of cool stuff under "Genres"!
Anyway, hope you get a laugh from some of my posts in this thread.
Let me know if you've played any of these!
Warning: Don't Try This At Home!