When my Gewa was new I liked it a lot - I bought it on the strength of a soundfile - it had an obviously more musical treble than the alternatives and was obviously better than the Stentor. But after playing my Breton for a while, I went back to the Gewa and it was obvious that its bridge was too high, so today I took both violins to my luthier. Turns out the dishing on the Gewa's fingerboard is a little excessive as well as the bridge being too high, so he measured the Breton and he's going to make the Gewa's action match it. It will then be an ideal backup violin until I maybe inherit some money and upgrade - I've got my eye on a Lowendall - something from Berlin to go with my French.
We didn't discuss price, lol. I'm hoping it's about 3 hours' work and maybe 200 bucks or less.
I'll be collecting it next Thursday.
Ironically, the Stentor has the same action as the Breton!
Gordon Shumway said
...Turns out the dishing on the Gewa's fingerboard is a little excessive as well as the bridge being too high...We didn't discuss price, lol. I'm hoping it's about 3 hours' work and maybe 200 bucks or less.
My teacher felt the G string was a little weak, but it didn't occur to me until too late that the bass bar might be overly heavy. Too late now, and the violin isn't worth any more expense, but I'll ask my luthier when I pick it up this afternoon.
Nothing much to add. He's evened out some of the dishing. He could probably have reduced the bridge height even more. Never mind. Time to comply with the lockdowns and cool my jets until the summer.
And also I have no idea why my teacher thinks the G is weak, so I don't think I'll ever need the bass bar reducing.
So now it's time to save for that Yamaha flute and that Yamaha 5-string electric and that Lowendall, or even an Italian maybe!