Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
I ordered a Ming Jiang Zhu 909 last night .. the wait begins
I'm so hype right now ...
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
Schaick
Members

Regulars
February 22, 2015 - 11:26 am
Forum Posts: 878
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
21sp_Permalink sp_Print

How fun!!  

If I were to get a new violin which one would I buy?

Violinist start date -  May 2013  

Fiddler start date - May 2014

FIDDLE- Gift from a dear friend. A 1930-40 german copy, of a french copy of a Stradivarius.  BOW - $50 carbon fiber. Strings - Dominants with E Pirastro Gold string.

Bunkei

Members
February 23, 2015 - 2:52 am
Forum Posts: 42
22sp_Permalink sp_Print

Schaick said
How fun!!  

If I were to get a new violin which one would I buy?

Price range would be the first of many factors ..  For up to $5000 .. it's a no-brainer, the MJZ 909 ..  The only other violin that I'd even consider is one of Scott Cao's STV-1500's, which is a benchmade model made by one of luthiers in his California workshop.  My only issue is that there's hardly any footage (or reviews) of any of those violins anywhere.  I'm sure based on his reputation that the odds of any of his instruments (especially any benchmade ones) disappointing are slim to none.

for under $2000, Fiddlershop's GCV violins are pretty dang impressive ... I'm a big fan of the GCV's "Kreisler" replica and the Fiddlershop Soloist models.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
February 23, 2015 - 7:33 am
Forum Posts: 16429
23sp_Permalink sp_Print

Funny enough, I read your post and checked our site only to find that the STV-1500 is not listed. I know we have them here at the shop.
Thanks for the reminder Bunkei :)
I'll try to find time to make a review of that violin. I'm still a little behind schedule. :(

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Bunkei

Members
February 23, 2015 - 10:52 pm
24sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fiddlerman said
Funny enough, I read your post and checked our site only to find that the STV-1500 is not listed. I know we have them here at the shop.
Thanks for the reminder Bunkei :)
I'll try to find time to make a review of that violin. I'm still a little behind schedule. :(

Really?? I never knew you carried them!  I assume the price is right around where the MJZ 909 is?  If so, I'd love to see a comparison between the two :)

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
February 24, 2015 - 5:59 am
25sp_Permalink sp_Print

Makes sense. Comparisons are tough with hand made instruments, each one differs greatly. Recently, we tested a "bench" made violin by Scott Cao. A copy of the Giuseppe Guarneri del Gesù, 1744 ex “Ole Bull”. It was so fantastic that we couldn't leave it alone. Mr. Cao was kind enough to sell it to us. The price of this instrument is 20,000.00
We also have an Italian "Bench" violin made in Cremona that we'll be putting up on our site soon. More information to follow soon. The price of that violin will be about $6000. We bought it straight from the maker with his certificate and signature.

Schaick
Members

Regulars
February 24, 2015 - 8:45 am
26sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Bunkei  After I posted I went to Fiddlerman's shop and listened to a few sample videos and GCV's "Kreisler" is the one!!

FIDDLE- Gift from a dear friend. A 1930-40 german copy, of a french copy of a Stradivarius.  BOW - $50 carbon fiber. Strings - Dominants with E Pirastro Gold string.

LyleA
Little Rock, AR

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
February 24, 2015 - 10:35 am
Forum Posts: 207
27sp_Permalink sp_Print

Schaick said
@Bunkei  After I posted I went to Fiddlerman's shop and listened to a few sample videos and GCV's "Kreisler" is the one!!

I'm a proud new owner of a Kreisler, and I LOVE it.  That's 'love', but in all caps, haha.  Lots of choices in the 1,500 to 1,600 price range, but I can't imagine one beating a GCV replica.

Fiddlerman said
Makes sense. Comparisons are tough with hand made instruments, each one differs greatly. Recently, we tested a "bench" made violin by Scott Cao. A copy of the Giuseppe Guarneri del Gesù, 1744 ex “Ole Bull”. It was so fantastic that we couldn't leave it alone. Mr. Cao was kind enough to sell it to us. The price of this instrument is 20,000.00
We also have an Italian "Bench" violin made in Cremona that we'll be putting up on our site soon. More information to follow soon. The price of that violin will be about $6000. We bought it straight from the maker with his certificate and signature.

@Fiddlerman  So are you guys starting to get more 'bench' instruments now or in the future?  One day I would like to invest in such an instrument, and I like shopping with Fiddlershop.

Never mind maneuvers, just go straight at them.

Bunkei

Members
February 24, 2015 - 1:01 pm
28sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fiddlerman said

Did you buy the Scott Cao Del Gesu copy for yourself or did you intend on putting the instrument on sale at Fiddlershop?  Either way, I think we all like to see you perform on it ..  choose a piece that really fits the character of the instrument.  Being a Del Gesu copy, I imagine a dark, powerful timbre on the G & D strings, a very sweet A, and a bright and brilliant E.

I'm not surprised you fell in love with it .. :)  I'd love to get a benchmade model from Scott Cao or Ming Jiang Zhu.  Oh well .. there's always the lottery .. hehe

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
February 24, 2015 - 10:17 pm
29sp_Permalink sp_Print

We actually lent it to a former MSO colleague who was here on vacation for a week. He and his son were also in love with it. We'll see what happens. We're not thinking about it too much since we know it will sell. Instruments like this are hard to come by. I would keep it for myself but would need to sell my instrument. :)
We will definitely be getting more bench violins.

Schaick
Members

Regulars
February 25, 2015 - 8:07 am

@LyleA What kind of music do you play?  How does it sound with bluegrass, folk, celtic?

My Berty really sounds best playing bluegrass.  I wonder though when you get up to that price range of violins- do they sound good playing anything?

I think that volin will be a reward to myself when I ....... Hmmmm, will have to decide on a really good reason!!!

LyleA
Little Rock, AR

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
February 25, 2015 - 10:04 am
Forum Posts: 207
31sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Schaick I mostly gravitate towards classical/baroque/romantic music, but I will try anything if I like the sound.  I know Ashokan Farewell and play it (poorly) often, and I think it sounds wonderful.  Dixie also sounds good on the Kreisler.  I suspect anything would sound good if played by a skillful person, but I'm sure you are right that some instruments lend themselves more to certain types of music than others.

Never mind maneuvers, just go straight at them.

Bunkei

Members
March 1, 2015 - 1:22 am
32sp_Permalink sp_Print

Update #4:  After using the tonerite for the last week or so, all I can say is "wooooooooowwww".  At first, I wasn't sure if I could detect a difference, but now I can definitely attest that it works as advertised.  I turned up the vibration on "high" and that helped open up the G and D strings quite a bit ... the G string is sooo dark now, but still clear.  Then I turned down the vibration, and the A string has really come alive now.  Overall, the sound of the violin resonates so much, it feels like that I have a small mic attached to it for reverb.

If you buy a new high end instrument, I IMPLORE you to buy this with the instrument.  

You won't regret it.

Christine (moonlitday)
PEI, Canada
Members
March 1, 2015 - 1:48 pm
Forum Posts: 32
33sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don't know how you can possibly resist from playing that beauty ALL THE TIME to allow the tonrite to do it's job! Props for that alone! 

I really enjoy hearing your journey with the MJZ, I hope to have my own within the next year (as long as the cdn/us exchange rate doesn't get out of hand). You should post a video of how it sounds after the tonirite does its job (heck post a video anyway!). 

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
March 1, 2015 - 8:09 pm
34sp_Permalink sp_Print

You are right Bunkei, instruments really open up when they are played on or vibrated with the tonerite. Great product to speed that process up.

Thanks for your review!!! Happy to hear it.

Fiddlestix
Michigan, USA

King
Members

Regulars
March 1, 2015 - 9:49 pm
Forum Posts: 2647
35sp_Permalink sp_Print

Christine (moonlitday) said

You should post a video of how it sounds after the tonirite does its job (heck post a video anyway!). 

Yes, please do post a video. I'd love to hear the "MJZ" 909 in action.

violin-1267

Ken.

Bunkei

Members
March 29, 2015 - 1:43 am
36sp_Permalink sp_Print

Update #5: Let's get the bad news out of the way first.  My hand STILL hasn't healed all the way, but I'm practicing nonetheless. I really don't know what else to say that I haven't said already.  What a POWERFUL tone the MJZ G909 has.  I've been recently been comparing it with Ms. Meyers' 'Ex-Vieuxtemps' Guerneri Del Gesu.  Why?  Since my violin is based on a Del Gesu pattern, I was anxious to see how it stacks up.  Secondly, the 'Ex-Vieutemps' Del Gesu is truly one of a kind since it is in perfect condition (no cracks whatsoever).

My findings? Pretty freakin close. There are definitely similarities in the power, darkness, and timbre throughout the registers.  Of course, it's unfair to compare my violin that's only been alive since last summer vs an original mint-condition Del Gesu that is 274 years old.  I have a very discriminating ear, and the fact that MJZ can hold its own says volumes about the workmanship of this violin. 

I WILL be recording myself playing a couple of pieces, but I need a new microphone as neither my headset nor my USB webcam suits recordings of this kind.  I'll be on the march to find a relatively inexpensive but quality mic over the next few weeks.

Fiddlestix
Michigan, USA

King
Members

Regulars
March 29, 2015 - 7:45 am
Forum Posts: 2647
37sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bunkei said

I'll be on the march to find a relatively inexpensive but quality mic over the next few weeks.

You spend thousands on a beautiful instrument, don't cheapen out now on a mic.

Uzi
Georgia

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
March 29, 2015 - 12:58 pm
Forum Posts: 973
38sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ribbon mics best capture the sound of a violin -- IMHO.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright

Bunkei

Members
March 29, 2015 - 2:31 pm
39sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fiddlestix said

Bunkei said
 I'll be on the march to find a relatively inexpensive but quality mic over the next few weeks.

You spend thousands on a beautiful instrument, don't cheapen out now on a mic.

Here's what I bought:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com.....or-usb-mic..

I decided to get this one not just because of the positive reviews, but there's actual recordings of how it sounds when picking up acoustic instruments.  See here:

I don't have the space (or budget) for a professional/pre-professional mic set up.  However, I do believe that this will do the trick.  The merchant also has a good return policy, so I will return it if I'm not satisfied and try something else.

Uzi
Georgia

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
March 29, 2015 - 4:08 pm
Forum Posts: 973
40sp_Permalink sp_Print

Can't wait to hear it.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 147
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, wonderputz, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7761
ABitRusty: 3915
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31663
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10590
Newest Members:
Adityaail, SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5309