Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
NVD 1905 Joseph Geiger a.k.a. Snuffles
New Violin Day! Well, new for me at least. :D
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (3 votes) 
Sasha
Members

Regulars
December 16, 2023 - 9:58 pm
Forum Posts: 136
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

So, I decided I wanted to get a 'new' violin, and after trying a bunch locally, I found one that just felt like it suited me right away. It's a 1905 Joseph Geiger who was a luthier in Nebraska. I've seen this maker mentioned elsewhere in these forums. Sadly, I paid a great deal more than the $80 the other person paid. :O

It's in really great shape, no repairs, even the original glue job on the body. There are a few minor dings and aging signs, but other than that, it's in pretty pristine shape for that old of an instrument. Sometimes that gives me pause though. Was it well taken care of? Or just never played?

But between that one and another one that had made the final cut, this one just felt easier to play, and sounded and felt better in my hands. It's a bit of an odd fiddle, the neck is quite narrow by the nut, and also feels a bit thinner too, though that could be it being a noticeable V shape neck vs U shape. I quite like it.

It has a really high arch in the top, and the bridge is quite short and looks a little funny. It certainly was not was I was picturing of getting. I did not dislike the look, it was just not what I was thinking of after doing plenty of browsing online and in stores.

But the sound... oh, I love the sound. It just might be one of the mellowest violins I have ever heard, and that is exactly what I was looking for. FWIW the other contender was nearly as mellow, but did not feel as good in my hands.

Perhaps I should have shopped around more and even gotten a couple for take home trials, but this felt like the one. And it has proven it over the last week in a way I had not expected. I have not had one shoulder ache and my thumb has not tensed up once at all. It just seems to 'fit' better for me. I don't have small hands or anything like that, but this is the first time I have never had trouble and actually feel relaxed while playing. Which should put to rest any question I have of 'did I overpay for something I might have been able to find for $80 at a flea market?'

And I will remind myself of the mantra I have posted in a couple of other topics: If it sounds good, it is good. :D

Snuffles Front View

Snuffles Back View

Oh, and as far as the name Snuffles, it seems like it takes playing/warming up for 5 - 10 minutes for the sound to open up on it. Until then, it sounds like it has a cold.

Okay, I know it *could* be *me* that needs the warming up and not the violin, but hey... I'm going with it!

Mouse
December 16, 2023 - 10:09 pm
Forum Posts: 5434

I like your explanation that Snuffles needs warming up. 

🐭

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
December 17, 2023 - 2:00 pm
Forum Posts: 8056

iStock-522382711.jpg

@Sasha -

Beautiful Violin! 

Looking forward to hearing you play again, but on your new fiddle!

SharonC
Members

Regulars
December 17, 2023 - 8:40 pm
Forum Posts: 1550

@Sasha  Congrats on the new fiddle!  Nice looking instrument--looks to be in great shape! smile

Characterize people by their actions and you will never be fooled by their words.

Sasha
Members

Regulars
February 20, 2024 - 10:24 pm

Now that I have had a few months to get to know Snuffles, he has really woken up in a big way.  I don't know. I know a lot of people say that violins get better as they get played, but I have always been of the mind that it's more the player that is adjusting to the violin.

And there has certainly been some of that with Snuffles. But I had to take almost a 2 week break after slicing my finger with a bread knife, and it took over a week for Snuffles to sound right again. And he seems to get a little bucky if I don't play him every day for at least a little bit.

On the other side, he really rewards me with a gorgeously rich tone, so it is a pretty good relationship. 

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
February 21, 2024 - 12:10 am

I'm envious - not able to appreciate the relationship with a wood violin, but I have wondered sometimes about why my strings feel like they need to 'warm up' just as much as my hands/fingers do.

Glad your finger is better - I've had to try to play with a band-aid a few times & it's no fun.  Are you doing anything to protect your 'newly healed' skin for a little while?

Sasha
Members

Regulars
March 14, 2024 - 8:35 pm

@ELCBK I did not do anything special for healing other than taking time off. Guitar is a lot rougher on the fingers than violin anyway.

In other news, even though I haven't officially recorded anything yet with Snuffles, I do have a sneak peak of his tone. I did a quick recording of a phrase and thought I would test out doing a short/reel of it and see how it goes.

I am very pleased with his sound even with the phone mic, and looking forward to what he will sound like in the studio!

Throwback Thursday - Featuring Snuffles

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
March 14, 2024 - 11:39 pm

FABULOUS - I love the tone!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Jim Dunleavy
Guest(s) 152
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Fiddlerman, estudy, vitthal36, DD, Bismarck, augustoad, Space., Mirrim9999, loveluach, reedc83, JillyR, Fashionandfiddle, Bassman72, ELCBK
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 8056
ABitRusty: 4004
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Gordon Shumway: 2450
Oliver: 2439
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2175
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31698
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10635
Newest Members:
OliviaErin, pbstrings, nayaghosh, henrykang, anna.byrne80, LisaLarkin, dairythuda, vapidsloth, ameliajames, nowicjusz
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16437, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5434