Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Sibelius on Ming Jiang Zhu 909
I love this video .. really shows how the MJZ's have that sonorous mellow tone that's the signature of the old italian violins we all wish we could afford ..
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
Bunkei

Members
January 8, 2015 - 12:25 pm
Forum Posts: 42
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

New user here, and thought I'd like to share this gem.  I have to admit, this is the violin that kinda 'seal the deal' on getting a MJZ 909.  The only thing is .. I don't know if this is a Strad or Guernari model .. 

Fiddlestix
Michigan, USA

King
Members

Regulars
January 8, 2015 - 1:33 pm
Forum Posts: 2647

WOW...... does it matter what it is ?  LOL,,, awesome playing.

Ken.

Uzi
Georgia

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
January 8, 2015 - 3:43 pm
Forum Posts: 973

First, welcome to the forum.  My understanding is that the 909 can be had either in Strad or Guaneri versions. I think the one in your video is the Strad version.   

Here's the link on fiddlershop.com

Here's Pierre playing the Strad version:

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright

bfurman

Advanced member
Members
January 8, 2015 - 9:12 pm
Forum Posts: 84

Extremely well balanced.  Very nice indeed.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
January 8, 2015 - 10:15 pm
Forum Posts: 16429

We have only G models right now. They are a bit darker but at least as powerful. It seems as though Ming Jiang Zhu or at least Noble Heart Violins, Ltd. prefers the Guarneri models as there are so many of them. Today I played on three 909G's and it was hard to pick a favorite. One is set up with Dominant, one with Kaplan Amo and one with Larsen Virtuoso strings which are quickly becoming my favorite.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Bunkei

Members
January 8, 2015 - 11:08 pm

Fiddlerman said
We have only G models right now. They are a bit darker but at least as powerful. It seems as though Ming Jiang Zhu or at least Noble Heart Violins, Ltd. prefers the Guarneri models as there are so many of them. Today I played on three 909G's and it was hard to pick a favorite. One is set up with Dominant, one with Kaplan Amo and one with Larsen Virtuoso strings which are quickly becoming my favorite.

I can't wait to place my order in a month or so :D

Have you had your chance to try out the MJZ 925 model?  I'm assuming that this is the closest you'll get to a benchmade model by Mr. Zhu (which would probably cost at least 3x the cost of the 925).

Fiddlestix
Michigan, USA

King
Members

Regulars
January 9, 2015 - 1:32 am
Forum Posts: 2647

Fiddlerman said
one with Larsen Virtuoso strings which are quickly becoming my favorite.

Grrrrrr...... I sure wish you'd make up "my" mind. I'm on my last of (5) sets of "Zyex" and now you're changing your / our favorite string ?  facepalm

Now what, dunno

roflj/k Pierre. Guess I'll have to switch to "Ob's"

Ken. 

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
January 12, 2015 - 11:12 pm

LOL Ken,
Zyex for saving money any day. The Larsen strings are expensive.
http://fiddlershop.com/strings.....l-end.html
I tend to be a cheap scape. ;)

Bunkei

Members
January 29, 2015 - 3:56 pm

Update: my hand is still killing me *_* 

Still loving the MJZ as it opens up the longer I play it.  I did feel like something is holding back the tone of the violin.  At first, I thought that it of course, is brand new, and has not been remotely close to being broken in.  Then I happen to watch a few YT videos about strings.  Then it occurred to me .. "oh crap, I didn't think about the strings when ordering the MJZ".

So of course, my MJZ has the Dominants.  It seems to be a respected brand, but most of the reviews are not that glowing.  One one hand, it's a brand that's widely used by violinists and violists that produces a clear tone with very good response (this part I do agree with).  However, I also noted some drawbacks.  Mainly that the string has no "flavor" .. not particularly mellow, bright, or brilliant.  The tone can also be viewed as flat, with no particular complexity or depth.  I also noticed that some have complained about the degradation of the sound as the strings are played in (Fiddlerman mentioned this as well).  

Going with Fiddlerman's advice (as well as other reviews), I've just bought a set of Zyex D'Addario strings.  I plan on switching them out as soon as they arrive.  This also got me thinking.  I have a german fiddle, and to be frank, I have not really paid attention to the strings (it also has dominants).  They are at least a couple of years old.  My old german fiddle is quite loud and bright, and based on the reviews, I've decided to purchase the Pro Arte D'Addario strings, which I hope will add a warm and mellow tone to balance out the natural loud and brightness of the instrument.

I'll report my findings ASAP!

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
January 29, 2015 - 9:27 pm
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

Should be interesting to hear your thoughts on MJZ with Zyex. :)
We took three instruments that sounded similar and put three different sets of strings on them, Dominants, Larsen and Evah Pirazzi and they all sounded different. I then switched the Dominants for Kaplan Amo and there was a big difference again. Dominants are actually well respected but they are a bit metallic and bright sounding. We like to use them to stay with the norm.... Lot's of pros use them because they are conservative. Some violins need them to get a decent amount of power. I knew professional players who mixed all the strings. They couldn't decide on one set but could find individual favorites and believed that that was the solution. LOL

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 125
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today Michael Browder, EBurrell
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7758
ABitRusty: 3914
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31661
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10589
Newest Members:
Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo, rubble_b
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5305