Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Christmas 2020 A Time of Celebration!
Winter Holiday Project for 2020
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (103 votes) 
ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
September 9, 2020 - 3:19 pm
Forum Posts: 8088
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

The Christmas List SmileyI've been asked to start a thread to find out what we would like to play for a Christmas or Winter Holiday Group Project. 

I KNOW we can find some music WE AGREE UPON - music we love & want to participate in for this upcoming Holiday!  

Many of us want a Group Project, so PLEASE don't be concerned with any technical issues pertaining to any potential arrangement, we leave ALL that up to Fiddlerman - including trusting him to make it easy enough for us to play!

Once we have a small variety of suggestions please help by choosing from one of them.  PLEASE DON'T add more (unless you absolutely hate all presented) - or we'll never come to agreement.

3 Cats At Christmas Smiley- Emily

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
September 9, 2020 - 4:59 pm

Snow House Smileys Playing EmoticonsHere's a Christmas Medley suggestion to get us started! 

SURPRISE - there's more to this medley than you might think (listen)!  You can even slow the video to .75 and I think you'll see possibilities...  It's pretty amazing!

Remember, there will ALWAYS be easy parts for members to play!

Anyone interested in something fun like this for our GP?

The Snow Is Back Smiley- Emily 

Okay... I'm going to have to learn this one, even if it's just by myself!

SharonC
Members

Regulars
September 9, 2020 - 5:41 pm
Forum Posts: 1550

Corelli’s Pastorale from his Christmas Concerto (Concerto grosso in G minor, op. 6, no.8)

Since we’re talking Christmas music:

Hymns of the Nativity, volumes 1 & 2, arranged by Catherine McMichael, are a nice arrangement of traditional tunes.  Sample audio of O Come, O Come Emmanuel is on the webpage (can be played without piano). 

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com.....ic/8185039

Characterize people by their actions and you will never be fooled by their words.

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
September 9, 2020 - 6:25 pm

The Christmas Wreath Smiley

SharonC -  SO Nice!  Thank you! 

The 2nd audio sample from your "Hymns of the Nativity" link is "Sing We Now of Christmas" also known as "Noël Novelet"

I'd forgotten how great this sounds!  ...of course I like ALL things Christmas. 

https://static.vecteezy.com/system/resources/thumbnails/000/444/484/small/2he4_mlrb_180120.jpg Ilona - did you check out this cello?

...this Carol might be wonderful played in a "Round".

Santa With Wish List Emoticons- Emily

kathy mcconville - please check some of these out.

Anyone liking any of these?  Jump on!

AndrewH
Sacramento, California
Members

Regulars
September 9, 2020 - 7:25 pm
Forum Posts: 1713

There's always the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah. Or, maybe easier to pull off, the Pastoral Symphony from the same oratorio.

I'm partial to the older Christmas songs: perhaps the famous ones by Praetorius? (I'm thinking of "Es ist ein Ros' entsprungen" and "In dulci jubilo.")

I also like the Gloucestershire Wassail. It's one of the first Christmas songs that come to mind for me because, when I was an undergrad, the Caltech Chamber Singers would always open their holiday concert with it, singing it while walking down the aisles to the stage.

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
September 9, 2020 - 8:42 pm

Jesus In Manger SmileyThank you AndrewH - great suggestions!

Some members may not be familiar with some of those, so here you go.

Pastoral Symphony from Handel's Messiah

Gloucestershire Wassail 

A little different version for strings.

Anyone want to talk about ANY of these suggestions so far?

Santa Sled Flying Emoticons- Emily 

SharonC
Members

Regulars
September 9, 2020 - 9:01 pm

ELCB said

The 2nd audio sample from your "Hymns of the Nativity" link is "Sing We Now of Christmas".  I'd forgotten how much I like that!  ...of course I like ALL things Christmas. 

Emily,

I didn’t even know there was a second sample now.  When I bought the volumes a couple of years ago, I’m pretty sure they only had the one sample.  I like Sing We Now of Christmas, too.

I’m liking Andrew’s suggestions of Handel & Praetorius as well.  Here are a couple of other arrangements of In Dulci Jubilo (violin & cello duet) and Es ist ein Ros entsprungen (Lo, How a Rose E’er Blooming)(quartet)

Characterize people by their actions and you will never be fooled by their words.

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
September 9, 2020 - 9:54 pm

Christmas Bell With Decoration Emoticons

Thanks SharonC - those really help!  I deleted the two I found - they weren't good examples.

I'm going to stir the pot a little with "What Christmas Means to Me" (Pentatonix).

Don't worry about all the flats - there's ALWAYS another key!

Another medley (there's 1 in my #2 post) "Traditions of Christmas" (Stephan Bulla).

Caroling Snowman Emoticons- Emily

Peter
West Sussex, England UK
Members

Regulars
September 11, 2020 - 2:59 am
Forum Posts: 378

Just my two-penny worth:

Presented here as a quartet arrangement.

Peter

"It is vain to do with more that which can be done with less"  - William of Ockham

"A crown is merely a hat that lets the rain in" - Frederick the Great

Gordon Shumway
London, England
Members

Regulars
September 11, 2020 - 7:49 am
Forum Posts: 2455
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

Andrew

pryan

Members
September 11, 2020 - 5:05 pm
Forum Posts: 4
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Emily  A suggestion I made last year, albiet too late (little drummer boy had

already been chosen). 

suggested  WEXFORD CAROL, a very old carol from Wexford Ireland???

composer unknown,saw on internet beatifully done by Alison Kruse,

and Yo To Ma,  Due to my own timing issues, I doubt I will I wiill try

JPRYAN

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
September 11, 2020 - 5:34 pm

Santa With Wish List EmoticonsHello Hi There GIF - Hello HiThere GIFsALL FM FORUM MEMBERS

Please take a look at the variety of Christmas GP suggestions we have. 

Would you like to play a part in one of these?

PLEASE HELP NARROW the selection down - to get the process rolling.

We ALL want a Group Project - lets find solidarity in a selection!  

If we can do this we'll be 99% on our way to a CHRISTMAS Group Project.

House Covered In Snow Smiley- Emily 

btw... indifference = no GP

Also, new suggestions are not helpful at this point!  ...unless you absolutely hate ALL that's been presented.

AndrewH
Sacramento, California
Members

Regulars
September 11, 2020 - 5:47 pm
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

Look, there are never more than a handful of people responding to these threads. There is still ALWAYS a Christmas project. Most people, including me, are in favor of "any of the above."

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
September 11, 2020 - 6:05 pm

Things change... 

You saw what just happened to a Halloween GP.

Right now, Indifference = no GP.

Even getting a selection narrowed down is a HUGE help for now.

https://www.crazykens.com/pictures/Holidays/Christmas/dividers-2/joy-to-the-world.gif- Emily

Gordon Shumway
London, England
Members

Regulars
September 11, 2020 - 6:11 pm
Forum Posts: 2455
15sp_Permalink sp_Print

AndrewH said
Most people, including me, are in favor of "any of the above." 

Or, to put it another way, I hate choice.

And this is one of what seems like at least 3 threads about group projects, listing many dozens of possibilities with far too much range - some people seem to have listed any and every song they vaguely like.

Tell me what to do and I'll do it, unless I hate it, which is quite possible.

Andrew

SharonC
Members

Regulars
September 12, 2020 - 10:11 pm
16sp_Permalink sp_Print

My vote:   1-- Medieval/Renaissance.  Specifically, I’ll vote for “O Come, O Come Emmanuel”

Peter
West Sussex, England UK
Members

Regulars
September 13, 2020 - 4:39 am
Forum Posts: 378
17sp_Permalink sp_Print

My vote is for (2) -  Baroque / classical. Specific piece: Handel, "Messiah" Christmas sections (narrowing it right down, "Unto Us a Child is Born").

The SATB parts can be played by the apprentice strings, the heavyweight string load carried by the more adept journeymen; just mark-up Handel's score appropriately.

Peter

"It is vain to do with more that which can be done with less"  - William of Ockham

"A crown is merely a hat that lets the rain in" - Frederick the Great

AndrewH
Sacramento, California
Members

Regulars
September 13, 2020 - 8:26 pm

Sorry, I will not vote. I am almost completely indifferent to what we play, as long as we play something. I do not even think it is appropriate for me to vote at all. (I do like Mele Kalikimaka, it might even be fun to dress the part if I can find a lei somewhere. I've played an orchestral arrangement before. That means there is something I like a lot in each category.)

Note that I will literally not object to anything, even if I hate it, unless it is truly offensive to a large group of people. My first participation was the Game of Thrones theme, which is one of the few TV themes I strongly dislike.

caseclosed

Members
September 13, 2020 - 9:18 pm
Forum Posts: 8
19sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for providing a start to this discussion, Emily. The suggestions thus far from forum members have included some enjoyable and exciting pieces, including various eras for consideration. There’s a lot of material to work with, and as others have shared, narrowing these choices down is no easy task. As in the past, though, the majority of players will “show up” once a tune has been chosen and the individual parts posted, even though they may not comment on the forum ahead of time. This could also depend on who’s actually arranging the parts for whatever piece is selected. It could be that Emily, as facilitator, sends @Fiddlerman a short list of 3-5 holiday tunes that have generated the most buzz from forum members by such-and-such a date in late-September, early-October, or whenever. Then, Fiddlerman can use his instincts to pick the one tune that might fit the group best, especially with regard to the level of arranging he would need to do on any given piece. (If Fiddlerman *isn’t* arranging this year’s holiday tune, then this process could be replicated with whomever *is* doing the arranging.) In any case, the holiday tune selection could be done in consultation with the arranger, since they’ll be the one doing the heavy lifting. This could alleviate any undue pressure on forum members’ end about picking “the right” piece. As others have said before, people would probably be happy with most anything that’s selected, as long as the arrangement allows them to participate successfully and contribute to the project. It could be that posting a deadline for gathering song suggestions from forum members, and then sending the top choices to Fiddlerman, might streamline the process while still being equitable to forum members’ opinions.                

pryan

Members
September 13, 2020 - 10:23 pm
Forum Posts: 4
20sp_Permalink sp_Print

by all means, put me down as a vote for cat #1

Be advised, I do not hate music or I would not be here

My rational for like or dislike of music, really depends on

what my ears hear, inthis case depends on.. do I

hear the musical celabration  of the oldest of a birth event

in human history or not.  What ever Fiddlerman choses

will be fine with me.  I would be happy to particpate if

it comes out in time for me to put my nose to the grindstone

to practice and deal with my timing/tempo issues

JPRyan

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: wtw
Guest(s) 98
Currently Browsing this Page:
4 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming anonkid, KindaScratchy, freesbee, paulinefiddle, Allenph, oneloudmime, MsJoy, Sandybourne, Ripton, Space., loveluach, husseinHr, reedc83, Guido, A. V. Suvorov, Scrap, DennisS, JiminTexas, mcwey, Fashionandfiddle, Giovanni
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 8088
ABitRusty: 4008
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Gordon Shumway: 2455
Oliver: 2439
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2177
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31703
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10642
Newest Members:
alisawilson, justinbrown, joshiburman, jamesmartinjs12, davidmorgan, OliviaErin, pbstrings, nayaghosh, henrykang, anna.byrne80
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16439, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5448