Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
New Group Project(s) for 2020?
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (22 votes) 
Mouse
July 20, 2020 - 7:57 pm
Forum Posts: 5359
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
101sp_Permalink sp_Print

Don’t worry about it, Emily. I think I have an idea and will give it to Fiddlerman tomorrow. I feel like a ping pong ball. 🤪 This is a fun forum and this is part of it. I have liked your ideas, but am totally confused at the moment.

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
July 21, 2020 - 3:41 pm
Forum Posts: 7828

cid -  Thanks for fixing!  Was confusing & originally hard to find for me, too.

- Emily

Mouse
July 21, 2020 - 4:12 pm

Fiddlerman did it. I just sent him an email with my ideas.

But, let us not continue with discussing the forum change and continue with the project suggestions discussion. 

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

SharonC
Members

Regulars
July 25, 2020 - 1:34 pm
Forum Posts: 1528
104sp_Permalink sp_Print

I compiled a list of the suggested projects that are posted under the Future Projects threads.  Lots of suggestions.

Characterize people by their actions and you will never be fooled by their words.

Ilona
Finland
Members

Regulars
July 25, 2020 - 5:19 pm
Forum Posts: 298
105sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great list! And so many good suggestions.
My favourite is Finlandia by Sibelius. It's so stunning! And because I'm from Finland there is always one special place in my heart for that piece. 😍
Here is a link to Lahti Symphony Orchestra ”covid19-edition” which made me almost cry. 

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
July 25, 2020 - 9:28 pm

I should have posted "Powerlåten" this way, earlier.  I'm pretty sure nobody noticed it after "King of the Fairies".  A few bowing challenges, double stops and Harmonics!

SharonC - Thank you for the list - REALLY helps!  Need to fig a way so it doesn't get lost.

Could I ask a favor of listing, under "Le grand cahier", the "VII. Les pommes de grand-mère" and "IV. Nos ètudes"?  "Le grand cahier" is a large suite (correct term?).

- Emily

SharonC
Members

Regulars
July 26, 2020 - 1:31 pm
Forum Posts: 1528
107sp_Permalink sp_Print

Emily,

Here’s the updated list.   

I like lists.  If I can organize something on a spreadsheet, I’m a happy person.

Characterize people by their actions and you will never be fooled by their words.

Grandpafiddle
USA
Members

Regulars
August 7, 2020 - 6:06 pm
Forum Posts: 107
108sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey Fiddlerman! Any ideas yet for the next group project and when? We're all chompin' at the bit here! Any hints you care to offer???

grandpaviolin

Violin ---- the most human of all instruments

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
August 12, 2020 - 3:26 pm
Forum Posts: 16430
109sp_Permalink sp_Print

Honestly, I want more input when I discuss the projects. If feels with this little input that there will be little participation. I'm game for doing the work as long as there is no time limit.
For sure we will be doing a Christmas project. I was hoping for one more project before the Xmas one.
I always struggle with the complexity of the projects. Perhaps we should actually do an Old Time piece instead. I see a lot of interest in Old Time music here. What say everyone about that idea?

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

AndrewH
Sacramento, California
Members

Regulars
August 12, 2020 - 4:20 pm
Forum Posts: 1696

The big discussion in the other thread started when I asked what exactly Old Time music is. I still don't really understand the answers I got...

Grandpafiddle
USA
Members

Regulars
August 12, 2020 - 7:55 pm
Forum Posts: 107
111sp_Permalink sp_Print

I listened to a nice song a few days ago from the 60's called "Somewhere My Love" (Lara's Theme.) It's in 3/4 time and was played with 3 violins and cello. Nice, smooth old song. I'm not sure what genre most people favor. I too lean towards the old time songs. Whatever Pierre decides on I'm sure will be great!

grandpaviolin

Violin ---- the most human of all instruments

ABitRusty
Members

Regulars
August 12, 2020 - 8:05 pm
Forum Posts: 3921
112sp_Permalink sp_Print

AndrewH said
The big discussion in the other thread started when I asked what exactly Old Time music is. I still don't really understand the answers I got...

@AndrewH i tried again iver in the other thread.  hard without just linking in a bunch of youtube examples.  hope it helps some.  tried to share what ive experinced as a beginner so far.

Mouse
August 12, 2020 - 8:21 pm

There have been too many suggestions between the three threads for me to really keep up. I am just waiting to see if it ends out being something with a viola or cello part at my level. If not, I can wait it out til the next one and just enjoy this when it is done. Whatever you all come up with, fine with me.

The Bumblebee Flies!

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
August 12, 2020 - 8:31 pm

Hmm Thinking Here Smiley

Starting to look like Christmas...

The Sad Eyes Smiley- Emily

Mouse
August 12, 2020 - 9:25 pm
115sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok, cleared my mind. Went through my newly arrived cardstock and dies. My mind is now refreshed. 

@Fiddlerman, what is considered an old time song? 50’s, 60’s, 40’s, etc? I could get into that. It helps to be familiar with a piece. 

The Bumblebee Flies!

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
August 12, 2020 - 9:38 pm
116sp_Permalink sp_Print

cid - 

We've recently just been discussing the roots and some regional differences.

"Old-time music is a genre of North American folk music. It developed along with various North American folk dances, such as square dancing, clogging, and buck dancing. It is played on acoustic instruments, generally centering on a combination of fiddle and plucked string instruments, most often the banjo, guitar, and mandolin." (Wikipedia)

- Emily

ABitRusty
Members

Regulars
August 12, 2020 - 9:57 pm
Forum Posts: 3921
117sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have no prefrence on a project song.  I should have attempted Game of Thrones. But to add one that I just remembered..there was a waltz that someone on here posted that his grandpa played.  he was looking for the name and we all decided it was The Shannon or Shannons waltz. Mimi posted some notation..  think it was in F.  sorry if that adds to the confusion of tunes.  Personally Id be better served learning wise to attempt a project more on the easier classical realm.  as long as vibrato not needed embarassed..or too much position shifting facepalm...

Mouse
August 12, 2020 - 11:08 pm

I am with you on the ease, GregW. 

I am thinking the old time music will be up to you all. Pretty sure it will all be very much too fast for me. But, if that is what you are all interested in, go for it. I will be happy to be in thr audience and clap! Songs with mostly 8th notes and shorter, or just a fast speed would not happen with my lack of speed. Fun to listen to, though.

The Bumblebee Flies!

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
August 13, 2020 - 1:30 am

Why Didn

I was only interested in the Irish and Scottish roots of the "Old Time" music!

I've been hoping for a "Halloween" Group Project, but there doesn't appear to be much interest...Pumpkin Magically Change To 3 Bats Emoticons

I don't know if many of the FM Forum members just don't understand? 

Or, they haven't seen that Fiddlerman wants to hear from more than a handful of people, what they are interested in?   No one can blame him for not wanting to waste his time.

Or, is it just not enough people care about doing a "Group Project" in the 1st place?

It Is Halloween Smiley- Emily

AndrewH
Sacramento, California
Members

Regulars
August 13, 2020 - 4:14 am
Forum Posts: 1696

I can throw out suggestions all day. Thing is, I don't care that much about what it ends up being, I'll play whatever it is and would be happy to record a new group project every week or two if they exist.

Maybe I should just arrange something myself, put it under "start your own project," and see if anyone wants in.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 93
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Shell, Squiryl, Schaick, GlassTownCur, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7828
ABitRusty: 3921
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2435
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2155
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31673
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
alicedcoz258, Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5359