Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
New Group Project(s) for 2020?
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (22 votes) 
Ilona
Finland
Members

Regulars
August 13, 2020 - 5:03 am
Forum Posts: 297
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I have one folk music type piece in my mind that would be at least easy enough for everyone. I don’t know if this actually is Swedish song, but it’s very well known also in Finland.

I have sheet music for this piece for three violins and two cellos, if somebody wants to take a look. 

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
August 13, 2020 - 9:32 am
Forum Posts: 7718
Scary Halloween Monster Emoticons

Here's my LAST suggestion to get support for a Group Project (sense you are all cheering)! 

Would it be inappropriate to PM all FM Forum members and ask if they could take a look at SharonC's "List"?  See if they would like to choose something from it? 

I can't help but feel there are many, many members who just haven't seen this discussion. 

Or, maybe Fiddlerman could tack a note (referring to "The List") onto gen/sales emails he sends out to members/customers?

Thank you SharonC for making this great list of all the GP suggestions!  https://fiddlerman.com/wp-cont.....ul2020.pdf

I'm favoring "People are Strange" (The Doors) from "the List", for Halloween. 

I like the "Old Time" waltz, "Midnight on the Water" (Benny Thomasson) from "the List" - but NOT for Halloween.

That's the last for me on this subject!

Flying Black Bat Smiley- Emily

Mouse
August 13, 2020 - 11:13 am
Forum Posts: 5296

Second 2020 Group Project Suggestion List (I purposefully did not add video links because they are very distracting for a list that has the sole purpose of being a listing. Please Google any you want to hear)

There is also the spreadsheet format provided by SharonC that you may find easier, I have added a few more. Also, I tried to alphabetize by title of the piece. I used SharonC’s spreadsheet to create this, and then went thread by thread to make sure we have them all.

Ave Verum Corpus

Barber - Adagio for Strings Handel- Water Music (Hornpipe)

Beetlejuice

Beoga - Eochaid

Bringin' Home the Rain

Cahier: IV. Nos etudes & VII.Les pommes de grand-mere

Chaconne, Air, Gavotte en Rondeau - Bach - (fm Joshua Bell album)

Courtyard Shag - The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas 

Crested Hens (Solas version)

Dance in the Graveyards - Rae

Die Fledrermaus, Overture

Djawadi - Westworld

Edelweiss

Elfman - Dead Man's Party

Elizabethan Serenade (arr Ronald Binge) 

Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams

Finlandia by Sibelius

Four Walls

Grieg Gavotte from Holberg Suite

Glazunov's - Autumn, Petit Adagio

Gounod - Funeral March of a Marionette

Harvest Home

Hoedown (fm movie Kingsman: The Golden Circle) 

Holberg Suite - - Grieg 

Holst - The Planets Op.32 Jupiter -Thaxted

In the Hall of the Mountain King - Grieg

Intermezzo from Mascagni's Cavalleria Rusticana

K.618 - Mozart

King of the Fairies

Litvinovsky - Le Grand 

Marionettes Dance - Chalhoub

Mascagni - Cavalleria Rusticana, Intermezzo

Midnight on the Water - Thomasson

Musette

My Heart Will Go On (movie Titanic)

Over the Waterfall

People are Strange

Piazzolla - Primavera Portena 

Picture at an Exhibition, Promenade (part1) - Mussorgsky

Powerlaten

Primavera Porteña by Astor Piazzola

Promenade from Mussorgsky's Picture at an Exhibition

RVW - Tallis Fantasia

Sailing By (arr Ronald Binge)

Serenade for Strings (1st mvmt) - Dvorak

Serenade for Strings (1st mvmt) - Tchaikovsky

The Godfather (Love Theme)

The Ludlows (fm movie Legends of the Fall) 

The Raven - Alan Parsons Project

The Teddy Bear's Picnic

When I”m 64 - Beatles

Witches' Wrath

This is a comment made in a reply in the thread that has Halloween in the subject. I think it is pertinent and needs to be visible in the listing of suggestions.

caseclosed, 7/31/2020 in the Halloween thread:

"I'm not advocating for any particular piece, although I wondered if a general tune that's entertaining would be more appropriate this year than one that deals with the subject of death (like the Elfman). Given the world's COVID-19 crisis, titles or content of such tunes could appear tone deaf to potential participants, who might opt out of the Halloween group project. Perhaps a generally spooky, entertaining, or classic tune (like the Grieg, The Doors, or others) would appeal to a wide variety of people and could help to maintain a sense of inclusivity, which has been a hallmark of these group projects. Just a thought as the Halloween music selection process rounds the corner."

I think this should be taken into consideration in the selection. I, too, believe that any piece with the subject of "death" should be eliminated at this time.

I would say, we really need a cheerful piece, not really Halloweeny. I just think we need something to lift our spirits, and lift the spirits of those who will view this performance. It is not just going to be viewed by us. It is going to be on YouTube. We want to bring people cheer at this time, not sadness, fear, etc. Just my opinion or idea, a littler further than caseclosed's. 

I am thinking of it as a needed gift to the public from Fiddlerman's forum members to brighten their days.

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

Mouse
August 13, 2020 - 11:14 am

I would not suggest pm'ing all members. Just the opposite, If asked my opinion, I would say, do not do this. Not all members are active on the forum any longer. I would say most are no longer active forum members. Who knows why? Could be any reason, but most likely, personal. But, PM'ing them when they have chosen not to login any longer, for any reason, would, in my opinion, be a little unwanted.

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

SharonC
Members

Regulars
August 13, 2020 - 12:24 pm
Forum Posts: 1517
125sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fiddlerman said
Honestly, I want more input when I discuss the projects. If feels with this little input that there will be little participation. I'm game for doing the work as long as there is no time limit.

For sure we will be doing a Christmas project. I was hoping for one more project before the Xmas one.

I always struggle with the complexity of the projects. Perhaps we should actually do an Old Time piece instead. I see a lot of interest in Old Time music here. What say everyone about that idea?

I’m good with an Old Time tune.  I’m good with the Barber Adagio.  I’m good with Twinkle, Twinkle Reggae style (ok, I made that up—please don’t add it to the list).  I’m good with any tune selected, whatever it is.  I know I will learn something from the experience of doing it regardless of its simplicity/complexity, its genre, its tempo, its key, etc.,  Count me in—I’m good to go when you say “start”.

I’ve provided input—but I believe Fiddlerman means “more input” from others who have yet to respond, not more from me.  There are lots of you all out there (both guests & log ins).  I’m thinking with the 94/74 participants in the last two projects, a lot of you would like to participate in more.  Please provide some input.

Characterize people by their actions and you will never be fooled by their words.

Mouse
August 13, 2020 - 12:31 pm

If you are a forum member reading this, and you have not provided any input, be it just stating you intend to participate, or commenting on a previous suggestion, or providing a new suggestion, the acknowledgement that you are going to participate is needed.

If you are a guest viewer, and therefore cannot comment, why not join our forum and become an active member?

The Bumblebee Flies!

Mouse
August 13, 2020 - 1:38 pm
127sp_Permalink sp_Print

Maybe this will help. 

With just one vote and just the name, no other comment, which one of the suggestions in the list above would prefer. Remember, just the name. You can copy and paste if you want, but no explanation or comment. Maybe we can get an idea of the way it is swaying, this way, if you want something “happier” because the list is kind of Halloweeny, or downbeat. Granted, I have no idea what most of those sings because I am not classical. Classical to me is sad and heavy. I also can’t tell from YouTube videos of big orchestras because I am trying to hear the exact melody, and that gets lost in the YouTube orchestra links. So, to me, the list is down beat. 

So, which one are you leaning to right now, no second vote and no comments. It is just a small search out survey.

The Bumblebee Flies!

Mouse
August 13, 2020 - 1:38 pm
128sp_Permalink sp_Print

More upbeat

The Bumblebee Flies!

SharonC
Members

Regulars
August 13, 2020 - 4:47 pm
Forum Posts: 1517
129sp_Permalink sp_Print

Twinkle, Twinkle Reggae!

Characterize people by their actions and you will never be fooled by their words.

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
August 14, 2020 - 12:14 pm
Forum Posts: 7718

I apologize for the link error in my previous post to SharonC's List of suggested Group Projects.  I corrected it, but here it is, again. 

https://fiddlerman.com/wp-cont.....ul2020.pdf

When it comes to the subject of death, please remember that the "Day of The Dead" (Dia de Muertos - "All Souls' Day") is a Mexican celebration which has crossed over to the USA and is associated with Halloween.  Celebrating "with" deceased loved ones before they continue with their spiritual journey!

There hasn't been any suggested Group Project music that is morbid or in any way disrespectful of the Covid-19 deceased.

- Emily

Mouse
August 15, 2020 - 3:59 pm
131sp_Permalink sp_Print

Is anyone interested in any of the songs above?

Is anyone interested in doing a project, so Fiddlerman knows how many people are interested in doing a group project. 

So far, based on responses, the following are seriously interested. I have not gone back through the thread, so if your name is not on my list, it does not mean I didn’t think you are interested. I just did not want to add a name who was not interested any longer.

Just add your name as a reply, and if you have a song preference from above, just one from list it, too. If none of the above songs, name a new one, just one, but making the list longer will add to the decision. To eliminate clutter, we don’t need a video link, we can google it. Please, just one. If no particular song above interests you, maybe provide a genre or mood of a song you would like to do. It would be nice to narrow the list down.

I hope this helps get the ball rolling down the hill.

SharonC

Emily

Cid (depends on difficulty level)

Ilona (I think)

The Bumblebee Flies!

jmckelly

Members
August 16, 2020 - 1:25 am
Forum Posts: 9
132sp_Permalink sp_Print

jmckelly

I'm a beginner but interested if I will be able. 

Mouse
August 16, 2020 - 6:14 am
133sp_Permalink sp_Print

You will definitely be able to do it. 

The Bumblebee Flies!

violingal
Members
August 16, 2020 - 12:24 pm
Forum Posts: 14
134sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi,  I would love to participate.  My vote would be Edleweiss or the Ludlows.  I attached the file as it is old and many people might forget how pretty it is. It has an old timey feel to it.. I think?? 

Look forward to whatever Fiddlerman comes up with! 

Cheers,

violingal

violin_girl

Mouse
August 16, 2020 - 12:59 pm
135sp_Permalink sp_Print

That is simply lovely. I don’t recall ever having watched Legends of the Fall. This forum is the only place I have ever heard it.

I keep going back and forth. I love this one. I love the idea of a fun People are Strange and I love Edelweiss. Everyone has such good points about their suggestions.

We have to remember all these suggestions as a jump start for a future project. 

The Bumblebee Flies!

jmckelly

Members
August 16, 2020 - 1:59 pm
Forum Posts: 9
136sp_Permalink sp_Print

cid said
You will definitely be able to do it. 

Thanks for the vote of confidence :D

AndrewH
Sacramento, California
Members

Regulars
August 16, 2020 - 3:08 pm
Forum Posts: 1692

Oh, I like the Ludlows. Great suggestion.

Again, I don't have strong opinions at all. If all the arrangements were to magically appear today, I'd happily play all the suggestions. (I'd even want to record a new one almost every day if I weren't playing on a shoulder injury.)

JohnBAngel

Members
August 16, 2020 - 3:49 pm
Forum Posts: 34
138sp_Permalink sp_Print

I vote for People Are Strange

JohnBAngel 👀

Grandpafiddle
USA
Members

Regulars
August 16, 2020 - 4:23 pm
Forum Posts: 105
139sp_Permalink sp_Print

Like violingal and cid, I really like Edelweiss on violin. I'm looking forward to whatever Pierre puts together. I'll be contributing to the next project no matter what the song is!

grandpaviolin

Violin ---- the most human of all instruments

violingal
Members
August 17, 2020 - 1:20 pm
Forum Posts: 14
140sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just watched People are Strange.  So I am like CID, torn between Edleweiss and People are Stange.  I am now leaning towards People are Strange as it could have a Halloween vibe.  Just wanted to share Ludlows with y'all as it is so pretty!! but I think it is a bit too long. 

Filddlerman, thanks again for whatever project you decide.  I am looking forward to it.  I need to purchase your Obligato strings soon so I have a dark violin to play upon!!

Cheers,

Violingalviolin_girl

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: JimandThomas
Guest(s) 82
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today RCall
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, Ms-G, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, Bobby, Elaisa, Michael Browder, EBurrell, Gordon Shumway, ViolinD, dougga, MoonShadows, Astandane, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7718
ABitRusty: 3896
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2422
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2138
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31657
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10581
Newest Members:
bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo, rubble_b, mariachi, avagrey92, Alison, David
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5296