Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
2024 April FIDDLE HELL Online Festival
Mark your calendar!
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (9 votes) 
ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
January 26, 2024 - 5:07 am
Forum Posts: 7953
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

The sixth Fiddle Hell Online will be on April 11-14, 2024, with replays of all sessions for 4 months.There will be 160 live workshops to learn from, 25 live concerts to enjoy, and 25 live jam sessions to join on Zoom, for fiddle, mandolin, cello, guitar, banjo, & singing.

Bluegrass, Blues, Cajun, Cape Breton, East European, Electric, Irish, Jazz, Jazz Manouche, Klezmer, Latin, Mexican, New Acoustic, New England, Old-Time Southern, Québécois, Scandinavian, Scottish, and Swing styles

Registration is OPEN! 

https://www.fiddlehell.org 

...I wouldn't think of missing it! 

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
February 7, 2024 - 5:46 pm

Shoot, I got carried away with other stuff & forgot to post this - a little incentive to sign up early for the April 2024 Fiddle Hell!  Discounts available.  

Schedule won't be up for a few more weeks, but I did learn that Alasdair Fraser would be returning, along with Natalie Haas, Bruce Molskey & April Verch - for sure.

...love to chat with anyone who signs up from the forum.

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
February 17, 2024 - 12:52 pm

Just noticed this April's Fiddle Hell teacher lineup appeared on the site!  

🤔... I see some new names I'm not familiar with - VERY EXCITING! 

I also see great musicians/teachers returning that I will LOVE learning more from! 

Check them out! 

Teaching & Performing Artists - April 2024 

...schedule expected end of February.

ABitRusty
Members

Regulars
February 22, 2024 - 10:28 pm
Forum Posts: 3955

@elcbk was kevin lees at any of the ones lately?   im thinking thats a great addition.  super fiddle player across different styles.  

getting out the debit card....🙂

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
February 22, 2024 - 11:41 pm

@ABitRusty -

😄 I'd LOVE to sit in on a workshop with him! 

Always great workshops & concerts at Fiddle Hell! 

...can't wait for the schedule to come out!

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
February 27, 2024 - 1:58 pm

Still waiting for the Fiddle Hell Schedule - should be any day now! 

I just noticed something totally new!  Prince Nepali will be one of the instructors at this April's Fiddle Hell! 

He plays & teaches the sarangi (Nepali)!  I had no clue how similar this instrument is to our bowed strings (comes in different sizes) - so, looking forward to the music he will teach! 

Take a look at ALL the Fiddle Hell Instructors lined up! 

MORE than just for fiddlers!

Discounts available - sign up NOW for April 11th-14th, 2024 (plus 4 months of replays) - FIDDLE HELL!

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
February 28, 2024 - 12:06 pm

FIDDLE HELL SCHEDULE IS OUT!!! 

From what I see, looks like this will be the

MOST EXCITING FIDDLE HELL... EVER! 

The 1st day always starts off with a few great standards that ANYONE can watch RIGHT NOW! 

Suggested Tunes - look to become familiar with if you wish to join in on any of the many JAM sessions! 

GREAT CONCERTS lined up! 

More details on some WORKSHOPS will be added soon! 

Geez, if I don't come out of this Fiddle Hell with great chops from CASEY DRIESSEN... nothing will help me. (lol) 

Plenty for EVERY skill level & interest! 

Read about ALL the FABULOUS Fiddle Hell Instructors

MORE than just for fiddlers & folks from all around the World can sign up & join in! 

Discounts available - SIGN UP NOW for April 11th-14th, 2024 (plus 4 months of replays)! 

FIDDLE HELL! 

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
March 21, 2024 - 1:02 am

Discounts available - SIGN UP NOW for April 11th-14th, 2024 (plus 4 months of replays)! 

FIDDLE HELL! 

Take a look at what you can get out of it,

IN YOUR OWN HOME! 

Even if you are only interested in jamming -

this online festival is worth it! 

Slow jams and introductory jams led by friendly and supportive musicians - for example:

• Gentle Welcome Jam (Pam Weeks, Bill Olson)
  • New to Jamming? (Andy Reiner, Joy Adams)
  • Irish Slow Jam (Tom Morley)
  • New England Slow Jam (Pam Weeks, Bill Olson)
  • Irish Relaxed Seisiún (Ellery Klein)
  • Intermediate Old-Time Tunes (Bruce Molsky)
  • Easy Bluegrass Jam (Andy Reiner, Joy Adams)
  • Scottish S L O W Jam (Barbara & Robert McOwen)
  • Easy Tunes from Fiddle Hell Common Tune List (Andy Reiner, Joy Adams) 

PLUS many WORKSHOPS that target jamming skills! 

These ALL help prepare you to start LIVE jamming this year! 

There's also downloadable sheet music & other helpful handouts! 

...I even played along with one of the jams last year (without any preparation) - planning on more this year! 

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
March 24, 2024 - 5:26 pm

FIDDLE HELL ONLINE FESTIVAL! 

April 11th-14th, 2024 (plus 4 months of replays)! 

...discounts available.

Take a look at what you can get

in the privacy of YOUR OWN HOME!

WORKSHOPS • CONCERTS • JAMS
Even if you are only interested in jamming - this online festival is worth it!  There are SLOW jams and introductory jams led by friendly and supportive musicians - PLUS many WORKSHOPS that target jamming skills! 

• I LOVE having my questions answered!
  • Instructors always check to see if anyone needs a little extra help.
  • Even though playing 'level' is suggested for each workshop, teaching is usually adjusted to help all the folks who attend!  I ALWAYS feel at ease attending more 'advanced' workshops (than where I'm at) & ALWAYS walk away feeling I've learned a great deal! 
ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
March 27, 2024 - 3:21 pm

@Strabo , @Cajun -

https://www.fiddlehell.org/ 

I've been sharing my experiences here, on the forum, with Fiddle Hell for a few years now.

ABitRusty tried to talk me into signing up for my 1st Fiddle Hell back in Nov 2020, but I chicken'd out (had misconceptions) until the April 2021 Fiddle Hell (click on the thread link to read about my thoughts/concerns beforehand, then my 1st experience at Fiddle Hell). 

I've attended all the ONLINE Fiddle Hells since that one in April 2021 - it's a super energizing/motivating marathon for me! 🤗 

These online festivals still seem like a year's worth of learning in just a few days (to me)!  ONE small price to access ALL the workshops, concerts & jams!  Compare it to a LIVE Fiddle Hell (next November), where it would be physically impossible to attend everything. 

...you can also meet fiddlers & multi-instrumentalists from all over. 

My 1st Fiddle Hell: I stayed 'private' & muted while observing, typed questions/comments in the chat, but since then I try to remain seen & unmute when they say it's okay - unless I'm engaged in other things while watching (I don't want to be distracting).  I know these wonderful musicians, whether instructing or performing, like to see folks are interested & interact, but you have the choice to be seen or not.

The quality of the Zoom HAS IMPROVED SO MUCH since 2021 - you can view from mobile or laptop, but I feel it's best viewed on your largest screen. 

You will see the schedule starts in the mornings & ends late in the evenings  - there is a half hour break after each hour of Fiddle Hell.  I go thru the schedule and make a list of the workshops I think I would ask the most questions (and I try not to miss these), but I always try some I don't think I'd care for & I'm ALWAYS pleasantly surprised!  Sometimes I'll sit in on half of 2 different events scheduled for the same hour.

The only bad thing about replays - the original chat box, with any questions & spontaneous helpful info, IS NOT SAVED with the video recordings for later viewing.  So, it's best to sit in on workshops and you will be able to save the chat box before the end of each session. 

There is access to SO MANY handouts - full of tips, things to reference, sheet music or info that reinforces workshops.  

There is a common tunes list at Fiddle Hell, some jams will be picked from them - others will specify tunes.  Everyone has had to play-along (while muted) in jams - this may change in time, with Zoom/audio upgrades. 

I don't want to forget to mention the Concerts are FABULOUS!  ...and also workshops for other instruments to watch for 4 months!

Anyway, I always learn SO MUCH about music/fiddling and leave feeling wonderfully motivated & uplifted after each Fiddle Hell - hope this helps. 

- Emily

Dave Reiner

Members
March 29, 2024 - 11:57 am
Forum Posts: 4
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Emily,

Thanks for your posts!

We'll be saving the Zoom Chats in April, and linking to them in the session descriptions.

See you online,

Dave

P.S. Perhaps you could share that there's a good Q&A about Fiddle Hell Online at https://fiddlehell.org/info/q-and-a

Mouse
March 29, 2024 - 12:03 pm
Forum Posts: 5413
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Dave Reiner 

P.S. Perhaps you could share that there's a good Q&A about Fiddle Hell Online at https://fiddlehell.org/info/q-and-a

You just did, 😂😂😂😂 

🐭

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
March 29, 2024 - 12:20 pm
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dave Reiner said
Hi Emily,

Thanks for your posts!

We'll be saving the Zoom Chats in April, and linking to them in the session descriptions.

See you online,

Dave

Thanks Dave! 

And THANK YOU - for giving us FIDDLE HELL!!! 

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 

I'm VERY EXCITED & looking forward to everything you & your staff have prepared for this April! 

- Emily

Dave Reiner

Members
March 30, 2024 - 10:56 am
Forum Posts: 4
ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
April 5, 2024 - 4:01 am

ELCBK said

FIDDLE HELL ONLINE FESTIVAL! 

April 11th-14th, 2024 (plus 4 months of replays)! 

...discounts available.

Take a look at what you can get

in the privacy of YOUR OWN HOME!

WORKSHOPS • CONCERTS • JAMS
Even if you are only interested in jamming - this online festival is worth it!  There are SLOW jams and introductory jams led by friendly and supportive musicians - PLUS many WORKSHOPS that target jamming skills! 
    • I LOVE having my questions answered!
    • Instructors always check to see if anyone needs a little extra help.
    • Even though playing 'level' is suggested for each workshop, teaching is usually adjusted to help all the folks who attend!  I ALWAYS feel at ease attending more 'advanced' workshops (than where I'm at) & ALWAYS walk away feeling I've learned a great deal!
ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
April 9, 2024 - 9:21 am
16sp_Permalink sp_Print

STARTS IN TWO DAYS!

Have Y'ALL signed up yet? 

Q&A about Fiddle Hell Online at FIDDLE HELL.org

8af4f8570820de12e96cdf7fe39b5a42.png

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
April 12, 2024 - 10:18 am
17sp_Permalink sp_Print

...just a quick note. 

Had a FABULOUS 1st day & evening at Fiddle Hell yesterday! 

It was only possible to sit in on one workshop per hour (I'll share some of my highlights, later) - looking forward to catching up on the other ones I couldn't attend, as replays.

IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO SIGN UP! 

The replays alone will be amazing! 

Noticed more workshops are dedicated to cello... even some for piano accompaniment this year! 

...got to go - starting DAY TWO! 

Fiddle Hell

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
April 13, 2024 - 2:33 am

Fiddle Hell Online Festival 

I don't want to get carried away, but here's a few of my workshop highlights from the first 2 days of this April's Fiddle Hell.   

Day 1: 

My morning was a bit messed up because I couldn't get my laptop camera to work for Zoom - didn't know it was caused by an upgrade... and, when I got it working, I finally decided to bite the bullet & go toothless - too many problems with my dentures (yep, been dreading this, I'm falling apart 🙄). 

So very happy I got to learn how the Finnish Power Duo Teho is inspired by trad music, but takes it in a fresh direction!  VERY generous what they shared about working together & creating music as equal partners! 

I got to learn about Strathspeys from Alasdair Fraser!  I could listen to him teach forever... what more can I say? 

Chopping Essentials with Casey Driessen!  I actually improved!  He has some kind of 'teacher magic' - and, of course, he's an amazing fiddler!

Rob Flax really made learning FUN, with his theories - There's No Such Thing as 'The Blues Scale'!  I now have a better understanding of 'the Blues'... beyond 12 bars.  Also, LOVED his workshop, Nobody Swings Like Stuff Smith! 

The evening ended on such an inspirational note when Andy Reiner interviewed Mimi Rabson and turned the 'River of Suck Podcast' into the 'Field of Awesomeness'! 

...you can still register, participate in the remaining days, with access to handouts - then catch up with replays for 4 months!

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
April 13, 2024 - 3:33 am

Day 2: 

Learned a FABULOUS Norwegian Rheinländer, "Griffenfeldt" - taught by Esko Järvelä (of Teho)!  This has got to be my favorite, obviously a 'keeper'! 

Jeremiah McLane taught some Balfolk Repertoire from Southern France!  It was a great opportunity for me to learn something other than my usual mazurka's!  Yes, he taught us Fiddlers while playing the accordion! 

Picked up "The Marquis of Huntly's Farewell" from Hanneke Cassel - I ALWAYS enjoy her workshops! 

Peter MacFarlane - I never want to miss him!  Amazing info about Bringing a Scottish Strathspey To Life! 

I got a wonderful chance to use the lower strings of my 6-string fiddle (Maezarine) during Renata Bratt's workshop for Jazz Improvisation on Cello Or Other Lead Instruments!  Very relaxing! 

Ended the evening with Western Swing Fiddle taught by Paul Anastasio!  He's another instructor I try not to miss - full of wonderful, helpful info & stories of great fiddlers!   

Can't wait for Day 3!

Fiddle Hell Online Festival 

...anyone that can use Zoom can still register, participate in the remaining days, with access to handouts - then catch up with replays of ALL workshops, Concerts & Jams (not just the ones I mention) - for 4 months!  

Anyone else... want to talk about your experience at this

April 2024 Fiddle Hell?

Mouse
April 13, 2024 - 9:47 am
Forum Posts: 5413
20sp_Permalink sp_Print

Glad you are enjoying it.

🐭

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 72
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming HP, UtahRoadbase, goettjp, Griff, Briant, ElisaDalViolin, sus49, Faith, Raven, joko_emm, Burnett393
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7953
ABitRusty: 3955
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Gordon Shumway: 2449
Oliver: 2439
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2169
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31688
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10629
Newest Members:
farareja, Kennon, tonyhoss, [email protected], Thug, eugenephilip572, tmcamil58, wsharek, Skogsra, Cylena
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16435, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5413