Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Remembering
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (3 votes) 
Fiddlestix
Michigan, USA

King
Members

Regulars
September 11, 2012 - 3:10 pm
Forum Posts: 2647
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

We may want to have a moment of silence at some point today in our own way in remembrance for those who lost their live's and those who were also affected 11 years ago today.

Can/do you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing on that fatefull day when the new's hit the airwave's ?

I was on my way from Port Huron, Michigan, had just left the Secretary of State's office, on my way to a little one horse town called, Smith Creek, Mi. when I heard the new's that a small aircraft had just struck one of the tower's in N.Y. It was just shortly after 9:00 am.

How soon we forget.     frown

Blue Bird
New York

Members
September 11, 2012 - 3:38 pm
Forum Posts: 46

I lived in New York then and was in school and the teachers put it on the news that morning. Wasn't exactly sure what was going on at that moment just knew it was something very bad.

"Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her: but once they are in hand, he or she alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game." - Voltaire

EJ-Kisz
Midwest, US
Members

Regulars
September 11, 2012 - 3:50 pm
Forum Posts: 605

I can remember exactly where I was and what I was doing.  It's still haunts me to this day.  

I was in college at Purdue University (Calumet Campus) in U.S. History of all classes.  It was my early class and we were studying U.S. involvement in the first World War.  

As we were debating over the causes, another faculty member walked in and informed our professor what had just happened.  When she announced it, it didn't seem real until one of our classmates screamed.  Her older brother worked in the north tower.  She frantically ran out of the room with just her cell phone, leaving behind her books and sweater.  Seeing her response and her vacant seat really brought what just happened home.  

We were let out of class early and as we left, we found her sitting in a corner on the floor down the hallway.  She couldn't get through to anybody as the lines were clogged.  As a class, we stayed with her until her family came for her.  

Thankfully, her brother wasn't in the tower when it was hit and was home, trying to reach family and fellow coworkers.  

Even though the attack took place hundreds of miles away in New York, it still hit us hard on a personal level in Northwest Indiana, much like the rest of the country.  It's something that I will never forget.  I still say little prayer every night for my fellow student, her family and everyone that was affected.  

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” ~Benjamin Franklin

SkullSmall-1.jpg

DanielB
Regulars

Members
September 11, 2012 - 7:53 pm
Forum Posts: 2379

As events of that day unfolded, I dug out my old shortwave to hear the international news reactions.  Spent a good bit of the evening and some days that followed getting in touch with folks I knew from online that lived or worked in NYC to see if they were alright.  Mostly they were, but a few, I never heard from again.  Only knew those by online names, so I just hope they're ok out there somewhere and didn't happen to ever check into those chats or forums again.  Kinda figure that's just wishful thinking with at least one of them who worked in the WTC, though.

"This young wine may have a lot of tannins now, but in 5 or 10 years it is going to be spectacular, despite the fact that right now it tastes like crude oil. You know this is how it is supposed to taste at this stage of development." ~ Itzhak Perlman

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
September 11, 2012 - 8:32 pm
Forum Posts: 1760

I worked in Boston at the time, for the state department of agriculture. When we heard about the first plane hitting the WTC, we gathered the commissioner's office to see what was happening on the TV there. When we saw the second plane hit, we knew it was intentional. I remember feeling sick when we heard that the planes had originated in Boston.

Later we heard about the Pentagon and the plane in Pennsylvania. All tall office buildings in Boston were evacuated because no one knew whether there would be more attacks.

I commuted to work via the MBTA commuter rail. South Station was packed but the MBTA did a good job of getting people out of the city quickly. People were upset but very orderly.

Later, I heard on the radio that the pilot of American Airlines flight 11 was John Ogonowski, who was also a Massachusetts farmer with whom I was acquainted.

My husband and I were scheduled to fly to NC the next day because I was supposed to attend a conference in Asheville. The flights, of course, were canceled, so we decided to drive. At first I was told that the conference was still on but I got word after we were down there that it was cancelled.

It was amazing to see the displays of patriotism along the way -- American flags on overpasses, buildings and vehicles -- and to connect with folks in state after state to talk about what happened.

I hope we never forget.

When the work's all done and the sun's settin' low,

I pull out my fiddle and I rosin up the bow.

Fiddlestix
Michigan, USA

King
Members

Regulars
September 11, 2012 - 8:56 pm

KindaScratchy said
It was amazing to see the displays of patriotism along the way -- American flags on overpasses, buildings and vehicles -- and to connect with folks in state after state to talk about what happened.

I hope we never forget.

Not surprised you said this Diane, but a friend of mine was trying to get back home to Michigan from Florida the next day and since there were no flight's out he had to drive. He told me that while driving through Tennessee there were people on the overpasses along I-75 waving flag's. He said he broke down in tears because one particular area as he was driving under an overpass, they were playing this song.

us-4240

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
September 11, 2012 - 9:12 pm
Forum Posts: 1760

I love that song. Thanks for posting it, Ken. us-4240

When the work's all done and the sun's settin' low,

I pull out my fiddle and I rosin up the bow.

cdennyb
King for a Day, Peasant for many
Members

Regulars
September 12, 2012 - 2:17 am
Forum Posts: 1817

remember it well... standing in my living room getting ready for work... later in the morning, we had a TV in the enginnering dept watching all the details as it unfolded.

Later in the morning, the CEO came thru and announced that if anyone wanted to leave and go home it was ok, paid for 8 hrs that day no matter if you stay or go.

We all went home... watched it all in disbelief.

us-4240

"If you practice with your hands you must practice all day. Practice with your mind and you can accomplish the same amount in minutes." Nathan Milstein

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
September 12, 2012 - 11:13 pm
Forum Posts: 16433

My wife and I were sitting on a plane in Amsterdam not able to lift off and nobody knew why. We sat on that plane with no information for almost 3 hours and were then told that no foreign planes were allowed to land in the US for security reasons. As soon as we got off the plane we were able to see all the news stations with replays of the towers being struck. Shortly thereafter all the TV's were shut down. (Smart move being in an airport and all)
Our biggest concern was how to get home quickly. It was the first time we were able to get away from the children who were being taken care of by their grandparents and were planned to be there for 10 days.
It was such a sad, sad day.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

myguitarnow
Laguna Beach

Pro advisor
Members

Regulars
September 13, 2012 - 4:39 pm
Forum Posts: 1094
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

My wife Sandra and I were moving from Mpls to California at that time. We were on the road and heard it over the radio in the car and we were thinking it was some sort of morning news radio joke. Then the second plane hit and we didn't know what to think so we stopped at a hotel and walked into their bar where the TVs were at. We both got drunk that morning and got a room for the night.

Almandin
Stockholm, Sweden

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
September 13, 2012 - 5:30 pm
Forum Posts: 302
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was only fifteen at the time. This happened in the afternoon where I live, and my younger brother and I were just switching on the TV to watch Aliens on tape. The news was on (like it had been for a while and would be for several more hours on end) and we saw those awful pictures. We shouted for mum to come and take a look, because we couldn't take in the reality of what was going on. Mum's first comment was "I thought you were watching Aliens, not The Towering Inferno...?" Then she realised what was happening. Needless to way, we didn't watch Aliens that afternoon.

This actually affected us more personally than that, though. We had already booked a trip to New York for that autumn holiday, and mum, who had been there before, was planning to show us the WTC. Well, we did see what was left of it – a crater surrounded by construction fences. A nearby house was covered in black, like a mourner, and there was a huge cross of steel beams in the middle of the debris. The ground and fences were packed with flowers and letters. Such a horrible sight.

I've been to New York again since, and I went back there. There was a monument over all the lives lost, still with flowers and letters. I cried reading the names.

~ Once you've ruled out the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be true. ~

Fiddlestix
Michigan, USA

King
Members

Regulars
September 13, 2012 - 8:15 pm
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

It affected the whole world in one way or another.   cry

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 70
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming fryserisnon8, Shell, Schaick, GlassTownCur, Violinista Italiano, VirginViolinist, CarolineNH, Cearbhael, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7848
ABitRusty: 3922
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2438
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2158
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31676
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10610
Newest Members:
l2t, johnAus, DavisVance322423, alicedcoz258, Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16433, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5369