Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Fiddlerman 2023 Group Xmas Project
sp_BlogLink Read the original blog post
Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 (92 votes) 
Unfretted
Members

Regulars
October 22, 2023 - 2:26 pm
Forum Posts: 164
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Katie L said
Quick question. At the end of line 2 f natural then f sharp do I slide my second finger from the f to the f sharp ? Same with when I play the e flat to the e at the beginning of line 3 ?

Hi @Katie L

I would use first finger for the E notes, the E flat to E natural.  And use second finger for F notes, F natural to F sharp.

I would move the finger and bow it separately.  In other words, I wouldn’t bow an audible slide of the finger as one would do in a fiddle tune.

Katie L
Members

Regulars
October 22, 2023 - 2:58 pm
Forum Posts: 1088
82sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh fab thank you !! I’m just sort of looking at the music at the moment ! Oh yes I was also going to ask, what does it mean on the left hand side of the music top left where is says ‘swing ‘ ? Thanks 

Unfretted
Members

Regulars
October 22, 2023 - 3:13 pm
83sp_Permalink sp_Print

Katie L said
Oh fab thank you !! I’m just sort of looking at the music at the moment ! Oh yes I was also going to ask, what does it mean on the left hand side of the music top left where is says ‘swing ‘ ? Thanks

That means that the two eighth notes are not played with equal time.  The first note is held longer and the second note is shortened.  

Are you familiar with the verbal description of bowing patterns such as Long, Short?  That’s how this will be played.  Loong, Short.  Loong, Short. 

Katie L
Members

Regulars
October 22, 2023 - 3:28 pm
84sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ah ok I didn’t know that. Thank you I will practice . I think that’s it for now 😁

Unfretted
Members

Regulars
October 22, 2023 - 3:38 pm
85sp_Permalink sp_Print

Katie L said
I really like it too, just not sure I’ll be able to do it. I’m glad I started early 

@Katie L 

I really hope you will do this year’s project!  You’ve progressed so well with your playing and vibrato practice.

Unsolicited advice:  

We can usually estimate our own current abilities.  I would evaluate the hardest part of the project and the target BPM.  Can this realistically be accomplished with Deliberate Practice in the time allotted?  Yes? Go for it!  No?  Look at the other parts and choose one that can be achieved.  The half notes are a great opportunity to apply vibrato skills

I’ve mentioned before, there is no shame in playing Violin 2, 3, or 4.  In fact there is much glory.  It takes skill to keep strict timing without the guidance of a well known melody.  Likewise, it takes skill to achieve proper intonation on harmonies that are sometimes not intuitive.  

Hope you’ll go for it!  Good luck.😊

Katie L
Members

Regulars
October 22, 2023 - 4:04 pm
86sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hmmmm I will have a think. And a practice. Thank you for the info and the advice unfretted, I really appreciate it. 

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
October 22, 2023 - 6:22 pm
Forum Posts: 8088

Unfretted said
I love it, too!  Really love those mordents.  So much fun to play and nice to hear.  

Thank you for posting your performance, and for creating this wonderful project.

I looked over the sheet music. 

I don't see (or hear) any mordents... no ornaments at all - only evenly bowed triplets. 

@Katie L -

Your thoughts on the GP tutorial videos? 

I wanted to suggest watching the one for the part you are playing - but maybe on your TV screen.  It's the closest you'll come to having another violinist sitting next to you (bowing movements & sound), like in an ensemble or orchestra.

You can adjust tempo in the settings to make it easier to start, or just practice along with Michael up to speed, only a couple bars at a time. 

I believe it's important to start this 'following while listening' because it can prepare you for when the click-tracks become available - you'll need to follow one (click-track) for your final recording.

Unfretted
Members

Regulars
October 22, 2023 - 7:44 pm
88sp_Permalink sp_Print

ELCBK said

Unfretted said

I love it, too!  Really love those mordents.  So much fun to play and nice to hear.  

Thank you for posting your performance, and for creating this wonderful project.

I looked over the sheet music. 

I don't see (or hear) any mordents... no ornaments at all - only evenly bowed triplets. 

@ELCBK , although the use and meaning of the term “mordent” has varied over the centuries, in a contemporary context it pertains more to a variation in pitch rather than a definition of tempo.  

Anyway, I think the reason why this project sounds so beautiful to me is because the arrangement almost sounds Baroque.  Really love it!

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
October 23, 2023 - 9:02 am

Unfretted said

@ELCBK , although the use and meaning of the term “mordent” has varied over the centuries, in a contemporary context it pertains more to a variation in pitch rather than a definition of tempo.  

Thank you for helping me understand. 

I would play a mordent differently than how the triplets are notated in the GP.

Mouse
October 23, 2023 - 9:40 am
Forum Posts: 5448
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

2023 GROUP PROJECT INFO LINK

TO MOVE IT FORWARD

For all information, click the link below

https://fiddlerman.com/2023/08.....christmas/

Sheet music
Submitting instructions
Eventual click tracks
Previous group projects
Lesson Videos

YouTube Lesson Links for Group Project

Violin 1 Group Project 2023

Violin 2 Group Project 2023

Violin 4 Group Project 2023

Viola Group Project 2023

Click Tracks

Please check out the click tracks which are available below and on the project page.
Note that LogicPro didn't use my swing rhythms on the eighth notes but I expect everyone to swing the eighth notes as we did in the quartet and on the tutorials.

Post is a work in progress

🐭

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

SharonC
Members

Regulars
October 23, 2023 - 9:50 am
Forum Posts: 1550
91sp_Permalink sp_Print

Katie L said
Quick question. At the end of line 2 f natural then f sharp do I slide my second finger from the f to the f sharp ? Same with when I play the e flat to the e at the beginning of line 3 ?

Gibbles addresses this in the Violin 1 tutorial at 5:09 in the video.

I'm thinking a lot of the questions most folks are going to have are addressed in the tutorials.

Characterize people by their actions and you will never be fooled by their words.

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
October 23, 2023 - 10:20 am
92sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Mouse -

The Viola Tutorial video IS the tutorial for the 3rd Part

The ONLY difference between the Violin and Viola parts - ALL Viola parts are ONE OCTAVE LOWER than the Violin parts. 

The Cello part is TWO octaves lower than the Violin 4th Part.

Mouse
October 23, 2023 - 11:19 am
93sp_Permalink sp_Print

@ELCBK I am just using the labels or description on those videos.

🐭

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

Katie L
Members

Regulars
October 23, 2023 - 12:58 pm
94sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Sharon 

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
October 24, 2023 - 2:20 pm
Forum Posts: 16439
95sp_Permalink sp_Print

Please check out the click tracks which are available below and on the project page.
Note that LogicPro didn't use my swing rhythms on the eighth notes but I expect everyone to swing the eighth notes as we did in the quartet and on the tutorials.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Mouse
October 24, 2023 - 3:45 pm

Thanks, Fiddlerman. 🤞

🐭

The Bumblebee Flies!

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
October 24, 2023 - 10:41 pm

Sorry, I'm going to have to bow out of this one...  If I play the swing while my ears monitor the click-track (straight rhythm), it messes me up.  I'm sure it's just me having a weird inner conflict with my ears & what's between them.  

I either have to play it like I hear the click-track, or play it like Gibbles does in the tutorial (just slowed down to tempo) - I can't do both.

Wishing everyone the best, I'm still looking forward to watching/listening to the finished project! 🤗 

Katie L
Members

Regulars
October 25, 2023 - 8:42 am

Oh no Emily what a shame ! 

Tutorials are brilliant I think. lots of helpful info.

I’ve been trying to find how we use the click track. Do we just play along with it. As in do we do what the piano is doing? I feel like I’m being thick here 🤣 I can’t remember what we do !!

Unfretted
Members

Regulars
October 25, 2023 - 8:59 am
99sp_Permalink sp_Print

Katie L said 
I’ve been trying to find how we use the click track. Do we just play along with it. As isn do we do what the piano is doing? I feel like I’m being thick here 🤣 I can’t remember what we do !!

@Katie L 

The click track is used to keep everyone playing precisely with the identical tempo so that the individual recordings can be synchronized.  YOU MUST USE FIDDLERMAN’s CLICK TRACK WITH AN EARBUD OR HEADPHONES WHEN YOU RECORD YOUR VIDEO CONTRIBUTION.

A click track is really just a proprietary metronome with a bit of extra noise.  You will use the click track to maintain your tempo.  Pay attention to the beat and ignore all the other sounds.

Katie, completely ignore the click track for now as you learn the piece. Learn by playing your sheet music to the tempo of your metronome.  Also play along with the Gibbles tutorial. When you can play it well at about 96 BPM, practice playing along with the click track paying attention to the beat.

If you were in an ensemble, this is what it would be like… all kinds of instruments and sounds around you.  Focus.

Katie L
Members

Regulars
October 25, 2023 - 10:05 am

Ok, thanks unfretted.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Mouse
Guest(s) 131
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming anonkid, KindaScratchy, freesbee, paulinefiddle, Allenph, oneloudmime, MsJoy, Sandybourne, Ripton, Space., loveluach, husseinHr, reedc83, Guido, A. V. Suvorov, Scrap, DennisS, JiminTexas, mcwey, Fashionandfiddle, Giovanni
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 8088
ABitRusty: 4008
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Gordon Shumway: 2455
Oliver: 2439
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2177
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31703
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10642
Newest Members:
alisawilson, justinbrown, joshiburman, jamesmartinjs12, davidmorgan, OliviaErin, pbstrings, nayaghosh, henrykang, anna.byrne80
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16439, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5448