Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Burns Night 2015
An open members party for celebrating Rabbie Burns !
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (1 votes) 
BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
December 28, 2014 - 1:06 pm
Forum Posts: 3744
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi folks,

OK, this is the first member's project I'm kicking off - I have had so much pleasure from all the things like RRV, Halloween, Dan's Xmas project to mention but a few.

I would like to start an open-ended mini project for Burns Night ( Rabbie, the great Scottish poet and songwriter - it's never 100% clear if he actually ever WROTE music or not - but he certainly wrote many poems, later put to music, and he wrote songs to existing music/tunes )

For some unknown reason, I started messing around with "Green grow the rushes oh" today on the EV ( man, it just came into my head, no idea why ).  I won't post it yet, it's not polished enough - but - here's my favourite Scots lass, Eddi Readier, one time member of Fairground Attraction, who, along with Phil Cunningham (unusually on low whistle) and others - performing "Green Grow...etc"

This party is open for ANYTHING remotely "Scottish Traditional" in nature - it can be Rabbie's work or not - it doesn't matter - be inspired and contribute !!!   Jigs, Reels, simple Airs - whatever - count Skye Boat Song as being allowed, Loch Lomond, and so on - as I say - anything goes !

I will post something soon (maybe a mix of things - I'll see how it goes ! ).

There's no deadline - add your pieces as and when you want to !

Check out Eddi - seen her ( and Phil, separately ) live many times...  for some strange reason she's doing a lot more "holding on to the mic" than normal - her arms and hands are more often "moving around" during her performance in time to her vocal expression!   I love her !  You may not understand some of the "broad Scots" words - it doesn't really matter - just enjoy the music...

Oh - Burns' Night is officially 25th January - but no rush....   I'll get a "starter piece" submitted soon....

Bill

EDIT: Oh, OK, I couldn't leave out her "Red Red Rose" - be inspired...

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
December 29, 2014 - 4:36 pm
Forum Posts: 4180

Hello there and thanks for kicking off a new Group Project Bill!

So anything remotely Scottish?  I might needs some help or tips. But count me in on this one.

Thanks for starting it.  I am off to listen to the videos now.

Happy New Year!!

Toni

edited to add:  I listened and watched.  Very very beautiful Bill.  Is this Contemporary music?  I guess what I mean is this what is "new" out on the radio..?  you know what I mean?

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

BillyG
December 30, 2014 - 3:02 am

@coolpinkone - no Toni - not new - neither for the tunes themselvs or Eddi's performance of them.  The songs have been around for many years, and Eddi, once of the group Fairground Attraction, "returned to her roots" a good number of years ago now.  She largely performs live concerts, to small-ish audiences in local town and village halls (audiences around 300 to 3000 I would guess).  I don't believe she has a "recording career" as such any more in the sense of releasing CDs - but being an accomplished musician, she is very much in demand on special occasions - like Burns Night, New Years, etc TV shows.  She has performed along with various other "local artists", and also the Scottish National Orchestra.   She also very commonly appears in the yearly "Transatlantic Sessions" - ahhh - and yes - now I think of it yes - these gigs ARE usually made available on CD and/or DVD - you might check them out on you tube - google this "transatlantic sessions youtube eddi reader" - oh - and here's another typical Burns song.... and this is just the thing for a Burns' Night or New Years Party -  

Since being instrumental (pun definitely intended) in kicking this off, I understand that a lot of folk would prefer sheet, or even like to hear some tunes in advance - so I will be adding a few bits and pieces - there are many pre-written scores for a lot of these types of song, from simple ABC notation, to MIDI and  MuseScore versions - I shall trawl the internet and get some links.

This is a "free for all" - pick a tune, choose whatever key you prefer, use you own timings, interpretation and expression.  No one is "being marked down" for not keeping to the strictures of a written score !!!!

EDIT:  Oh - I don't really mean to turn this thread into an Eddi Reader Appreciation Society - other artists are available !!!  I was just pointing out similar stuff inn response to your question, CPO !

BillyG
December 30, 2014 - 7:28 am

OK - let's stop talking about Eddi ! LOL

Here's a first submission.  Although I like playing the tune in G on the EV with the FX box for the nice deep sound it gives, I used the acoustic here - on which I usually play in D but decided on G at the last minute! LOL

A wee bit of "Red Red Rose" - it was a somewhat early in the morning - I don't know if it was my eyes or the camera that was out of focus.... no matter

feature=youtu.be

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
December 30, 2014 - 7:55 am
Forum Posts: 16433

Bravo Bill,

Thanks for kicking off what promises to be a great party.
I am seriously impressed by your performance. You seem more relaxed, confident and used expression and dynamics like I can't remember seeing you do before.
Great job. :)

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

RockingLR33
Members

Regulars
December 30, 2014 - 11:45 am
Forum Posts: 492

oh this is a fabulous new idea! you sound great! i think i'd better start looking up some scottish music to play! 

Lead me, Follow me, or get out of my way!

~General George S. Patton

BillyG
December 30, 2014 - 12:58 pm

@Fiddlerman - thanks man, it's always easier when I know it off-by-heart.  But yes, I feel progress as well, so thanks.  Lots (and lots and lots) of things to work on yet, but, aye, I'm happy with what I've achieved so far.

@RockingLR33, thank you!

and cpo - I'll try to put together some relatively simple stuff (that's the way *I* need it to be ! LOL ) for you / others to choose from -

Here's my first piece that might be of interest - it's not a Burns song ( as far as I know) - but it fits the bill of being "remotely Scottish" !   ( Lol the title gives it away ) - it is also, as it happens, my first published transcription of a tune I know in my head - so it's NOT my own composition - it's a traditional tune - but it's the first time I've done this  - and it's a nice simple one to play - The Bluebells of Scotland.  

Oh - cr4p - the audio is 11Mb as a wav file.... hmmm  I couldn't find an "export as mp3" in MuseScore - but it's fairly new to me...  if mp3 format is not in MuseScore, for future ones I have a converter and I'll make 'em mp3, much smaller (and more to the point QUICKER for me to upload!!! ) and any loss in quality is insignificant for this kind of stuff...

.... whoaaaa - what happened to  my uploaded pdf of the sheet I generated in MuseScore - I don't see it posted ....

.... that's a bit odd - I'll have to ask about this - aren't all iBuds compositions which I enjoy so much all posted as pdf files ? hmmm.. stange ...  I'll get this sorted because I'll have a few more to submit... 

EDIT: all cool... sorted !

EDIT again:  I had meant to add the lyrics as well for these "ideas to play along to" - so folks can "kind of get the idea" of what the tune is about - here you go - 

Oh where, please tell me where
Is your highland laddie gone ?
Oh where,please tell me where
Is your highland laddie gone ?
He's gone with streaming banners
Where the noble deeds are done,
And my sad heart will tremble
Until he comes safely home.

Oh where, please tell me where x2
Does your highland laddie dwell?
He dwells in merry Scotland
At the sign of the blue bell
And my blessing went with him
On the day he went away.

Oh what, please tell me what x2
Does your highland laddie wear?
A bonnet with a proud plume,
'Tis the gallant badge of war
And a plaid 'cross his bold breast
That will one day wear a star.

Suppose, oh supposing that x2
Your highland lad should die ?
The bagpipes shall play o'er him
And I'd lay me down and cry
But it's oh! in my heart that
I do wish he may not die.

... yup, I know.... too much ! LOL

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Georganne
Members

Regulars
December 31, 2014 - 2:59 am
Forum Posts: 993

Oh I'm loving this party! 

Here's Scotland the Brave and Star of the County Down.

http://youtu.be/4W9O9Uldfo4

Opportunity is often missed because it wears suspenders and looks like hard work.

Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North Country

Georganne
Members

Regulars
December 31, 2014 - 3:12 am

Bill said
OK - let's stop talking about Eddi ! LOL

Here's a first submission.  Although I like playing the tune in G on the EV with the FX box for the nice deep sound it gives, I used the acoustic here - on which I usually play in D but decided on G at the last minute! LOL

A wee bit of "Red Red Rose" - it was a somewhat early in the morning - I don't know if it was my eyes or the camera that was out of focus.... no matter

feature=youtu.be

My love is like a red, red rose was one of my first favorite songs to play.  Actually, now that I think about it, I think it is the song I played in my first recital.  Thanks for reminding me of it! 

Opportunity is often missed because it wears suspenders and looks like hard work.

BillyG
December 31, 2014 - 3:49 am
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Georganne - thank you Georganne, that was good.  Great old tunes, just need a few bagpipes-1254and we're away !!!!   Thanks for joining the party.getting_jiggy

Everyone / anyone - no need to limit to one submission ! LOL

VickieD
Members

Regulars
December 31, 2014 - 1:08 pm
Forum Posts: 130
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for starting the party @Bill - enjoyed your tunes.

Great playing @Georganne.

My contribution is Flowers of Edinburgh - I've tried to find the history of this tune but there seem to be many versions. The one in my book says it is an old Scottish tune that can be traced back at least to 1750. In one early collection of fiddle tunes, the "flowers" of Edinburgh are said to have been the judges and lawyers of the town. Also read that the flowers were thrown out of windows to help the smell around the dump ... so don't really know. Maybe someone can shed some light.

Here is the tune...semiquaver-1214

"A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?
~~Albert Einstein

BillyG
December 31, 2014 - 1:17 pm
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

@VickieD - great tune, well executed !  Thank you !   I've only recently become aware of this tune - I think it was referred to on this site - it is definitely one I need to have a shot at !

Thanks again!  dancingdancingdancing

BillyG
December 31, 2014 - 1:23 pm

And here's another - it's cross posted in the "Goodbye, 2014!" thread - and since it's Rabbie's words that traditionally go with this one, and is very "timely and appropriate" here it is again - played on EV with a little bit of chorus and echo

Georganne
Members

Regulars
December 31, 2014 - 7:39 pm
14sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh great job Vickie.  You are really good. 

Georganne
Members

Regulars
December 31, 2014 - 7:41 pm
15sp_Permalink sp_Print

Very cool Bill. 

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
January 2, 2015 - 3:32 pm
Forum Posts: 4180
16sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Bill that was great.  I loved your Red Rose!! I was glad you played more!!

@Georganne .    How lovely.  Good job.   I like how you have a light touch with your fingers on the strings!!!  Awesome...( I always love your beautiful hair too)

@VickieD .. Yahoo... That was just so very very nice!  You got this one in the bag!!

I got out Loch Lommond today.  I am a bit unfamiliar with the piece.  It is easy enough to play.   I just have to learn the tempo more.   I would say 1-2 weeks befor I post.

Who is next? 

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

BillyG
January 2, 2015 - 4:00 pm
17sp_Permalink sp_Print

@coolpinkone - ty and take your time - post when you're ready !  

I have another couple of tunes coming along - "Corn rigs and barley rigs" ( it's a bit fast for me - could be classed as a jig or a reel  ) - I've heard it played both ways and at the moment - I just have my own interpretation (as ever) ... so I'll see how it goes !  Also got my head around the "Green grow the rushes oh" - I'll do my best and add both to this thread soon.    Neither are difficult ( OK, the "Corn rigs" is a bit faster - but not hard to follow, simple runs... )   I'll get it done in the next next couple of days  -  right now I'm still playing host to friends and extended family here...

Thanks for joining the party - looking forward to your contribution as and when you can !    The old Loch Lomond sounds OK to me - it never fails - go for it !   You're a star !

Thanks CPO !

Raywells
Members

Regulars
January 4, 2015 - 7:55 pm
Forum Posts: 128

Hello Bill. You have the "opportunity" :-) to listen to Neil Gow's Lament for the Death of his Second Wife .. Twice. Neil Gow moved fiddling into an important aspect of Scottish music which before him had been primarily pipe music. He was a widower when he married his second wife and her death affected him deeply to the point that he gave up the fiddle for a number of years. When he finally took up the instrument again, "The Lament for the death of his second wife" is the tune he is said to have played

My 1st submission is played on the Italian Bowl Back mandolin I have recently restored. I am not satisfied with how the A string sounds muted but here it is until I figure it out

And the second effort is on my A Style Nova MA100 which I have had now for 14 months

There are a few clangers but I have been wrestling with this tune for two years and I have decided I just need to get it out there. I expect Kiara to show us how with her beautiful version of this song

Ocatve Ray

BTW These videos were recorded using the new to me  "New Movie Recording" function found by right-clicking on the QuickTime Player icon and stumbling around a bit. It uses my low cost Logitech webcam and builtin microphone. Now If I can remember all the passwords and post it to Youtube from QuickTime. LOL

BillyG
January 5, 2015 - 2:51 am
19sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you @Raywells  - it is a nice tune - and I enjoyed both renditions.  I have a slight preference for the Nova - but - but - it's never the same compared to hearing the instrument live, and under your ear so to speak.   And yes, I do recall listening to @Kiara  's version, very sweet!

I'm doing a bit of practice as well - I'll post it separately if for no other reason than to keep the thread active as active as possible.

Thanks again Ray ^5s !!!

BillyG
January 5, 2015 - 3:15 am
20sp_Permalink sp_Print

And here's one of my "in progress" pieces - Corn Rigs and Barley Rigs. Posted really only to prove that yes, I'm working on something ( when am I not - LOL ) and just to "give the tune an airing" for those that may be unaware of it.

Here's the sheet ( but there are many variants around - the tune remains more or less intact, but with different keys sigs and timings like 6/8 and so on - so I just use the sheet as "an idea" of what I want to do with the tune )

cornrigs.JPGImage Enlarger

Here's my "progress" on the above.  I prefer it in G, and I seem to have a kind of "triplet" feel to it - but that's just me.   As I say, there are plenty variants of the piece.  Now I have it "in my ear", I'm going to decide exactly what I want to do with it, and make myself a click track to expose the rhythm and timings I want.  From the following you should get an idea of what I'm aiming for - 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 52
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming fryserisnon8, Shell, Schaick, GlassTownCur, Violinista Italiano, VirginViolinist, CarolineNH, Cearbhael, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7848
ABitRusty: 3922
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2438
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2158
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31676
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10610
Newest Members:
l2t, johnAus, DavisVance322423, alicedcoz258, Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16433, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5369