Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Win a CVA500 contest ideas
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
January 28, 2012 - 8:16 am
Forum Posts: 16433

Hey Fiddlers,

I am seeking a great way to get more people involved in the CVA-500 give-away.
It's a great instrument and I feel that Violman.com is potentially what violists need. Not necessarily me as the violist but somewhere that can be exclusively their hang-out.

What are your opinions about interested members making a youtube video about learning to play the viola and violaman.com?

I would hate to be the one to pick the best video so I may leave it to the person who does the best marketing on their own video. In other words, the video that gets the most views would win. The person can choose whether or not to have an instrument, music, or just talk, joke....in the video but would need to mention violaman.com at least twice and include it in the description and keywords as well. This idea would leave out some people that don't know how to make a video or don't have a camera, which I am a little sad about but I could include all members with over 100 posts at violaman too.

Is this too selfish or is it a good way to get people over here? Please give me some advice. What do you guys think?

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

myguitarnow
Laguna Beach

Pro advisor
Members

Regulars
January 28, 2012 - 8:41 am
Forum Posts: 1094
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I don't think it's being selfish. You need to build up the site somehow and a contest like that would help and heck members have a chance to win a Viola.

Kevin M.
Nicholson, Pa
Members

Regulars
January 28, 2012 - 9:28 am
Forum Posts: 1973

Not at all selfish.  That sounds like a great idea. It would seperate the ones who need or learn to play a viola from the ones who come there only to win something and at the same time build a better community for themselves. I can't wait to see what son of cheese comes up with.

A thought. The number of hits doesn't mean the most successfull ad.  Take the top 3 and have people vote on the winner.

Aleive
Northern Norway

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
January 28, 2012 - 9:34 am
Forum Posts: 121

Kevin: I concuuuuur! (Always wanted to say that to an "American")

Have it in the poll, or something like that.. The poll can be cheated though. But wouldn't  it be wrong to have a raise of hands? I think being competitive is good. Great actually. But a show of hands is the most biased of all votings ever. 

"Art, as far as it is able, follows nature, as a pupil imitates his master; thus your art must be, as it were, God's grandchild."

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
January 28, 2012 - 6:15 pm

That is a great idea. Top three or so and have members vote.

Mad_Wed
Russia, Tatarstan rep. Kazan city
Members

Regulars
January 29, 2012 - 6:36 am
Forum Posts: 2849

Yep! Good idea! 

Also i think it would be nice if more viola players will join to our projects. Maybe You could give to the interested violists an extra point to the chance of winning the viola? And maybe You could make an extra link to the forum on Violaman.com? Because when i was looking for "He's a pirate" project on Violaman it was the link on Fiddle Talk forum!! And in the thread "Fiddlerman's International Youtube Project, "He's a Pirate" on Violaman there is 1 post and no replies surprisedcry And i really doubt that it's not interesting for the viola players, so You could motivate them with possibility of winning a new instrument! And You maybe could make a cap with "ViolaMan.com" sign =). Actually i've found FiddlerMan.com because that cap!

That's offtopic.. It was just a thought about how to promote the site a little more dunno

rikkitherapper

Members
January 29, 2012 - 11:52 am
Forum Posts: 2

why not set up the links of the videose here, so that we can see them, so, maybe other members or guests get's a better idea then the other one's video :)

maybe somebody you know that play's a violin and a viola (maybe a piano and a cello too) can play a wery popular song together (canon rock, he's a pirate, on the floor, last carnival...) where you all play it together :)

PS: im a 14 year old norwegian girl, so don't complane on my writhing ;p (and a total beginner in playing the violin)

Must the best videomaker win :)

Må den beste video-lageren vinne ;)

Aleive
Northern Norway

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
January 29, 2012 - 12:05 pm
Forum Posts: 121

Velkommen! 

Så flott å se en Norsk person her!

Fiddlerman would be setting it up so we could see it. However the issue was the mechanic of it all. Fiddlerman needs to promote this site. So we were just discussing how to best achieve all goals. 

Hilsener fra nord-norge!

"Art, as far as it is able, follows nature, as a pupil imitates his master; thus your art must be, as it were, God's grandchild."

boeba67
The Netherlands

Members
February 10, 2012 - 3:31 pm
Forum Posts: 27

Fiddlerman said

That is a great idea. Top three or so and have members vote.

Well, I'm new to your website, but isn't the meaning of the ad to drive people to fiddlerman.com? Then the jurist must judge it on it's the effect the advertention have. Not on personal oppinions.

So, the test the effectiveness of the advertention, is what you said in your post: Judging on the amount of views (and maybe likes?) Because in the end, that's what the contest is all about. (Or atleast that's what I think.)

I hope I haven't made to much grammar mistakes, I'm sure I did, and for that I appologise.

Oh, and by the way, I love your website! 1st-place

Leon.

I just started playing the fiddle, I'm 15.

Thefrood
SF Bay, California

Members
February 10, 2012 - 10:08 pm
Forum Posts: 10
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just out of curiousity, is there a reason that fiddlerman.com and violaman.com are two entirely different sites? It seems like both sites would benefit from being one site due to the larger number of users... it would also let people find 2/4 of a string quartet all on the same website (If they are interested in doing so at least)...

From a marketing standpoint it gives a wider range of cross-promotional opportunities as well, in addition to the possibility of additional sponsors with the wider audience and range of instructional materials that would be available.

Anyway, running a site takes time and effort. Regardless what anyone says, if you can find a way for it to generate an income without sacrificing what you consider the soul of the reason you started it then there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I'd draw the line at recommending products you don't truly stand behind but if you can find sponsors and advertisers (I hope your adwords at least cover some of your bandwidth costs) you can truly stand behind then it's a win-win situation all around, likewise with the fiddlerman store. When I can afford the time for online purchasing, for my future purchases I fully intend to buy from the fiddler shop regardless of whether the price is cheaper or even a couple points more simply because I trust the items in the shop to be the best that you could find for that price. I only wish I'd found the fiddlerman store before I'd wasted my time shopping without knowing a damn thing about what I was doing.

Getting a little publicity for giving a way your sponsor donated instruments is a perfectly legitimate and completely unselfish way of giving away a product... You get to see who really wants to win it, it gets people involved with the site, they actually have to DO something creative to have a chance of winning, and if the winner creates something really amazing hopefully it will go viral and start a new renaissance of string players once they realize it can be done without breaking the bank.

I realize I've kind of gone way off on a tangent here and I can't pinpoint anything that I read above to provoke my quasi-rant, but I stand by what I said above. On the other hand, if there is anyone out there able to do animated slideshows I can storyboard things like you wouldn't believe... I just lack the technical skills to make any animation more sophisticated than an animated gif file. I don't care about winning the violin since I have one that does the job well enough for now, but definitely would like to do more for this site than simply consume the gracious (and uncharged) educational materials!

If you got to this point, thanks for reading!

Scott

HeadCheese
Plano, Texas

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
May 3, 2012 - 1:44 pm
Forum Posts: 517
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

Meanwhile ... over at Violaman.com:

crossedfingers

Just sayin', is all...

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
May 3, 2012 - 2:38 pm
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

I REALLY love it. You have a gift. I guess that is why you are in marketing too. smile

Mad_Wed
Russia, Tatarstan rep. Kazan city
Members

Regulars
May 3, 2012 - 2:45 pm
Forum Posts: 2849
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice video!

And good to see You here, HC! dancing

Thanks for the post! 

TerryT
Coleshill, Warwickshire
Members

Regulars
May 3, 2012 - 5:17 pm
Forum Posts: 1731
14sp_Permalink sp_Print

Slick vid!
And good ta meetcha, Head Cheese

I am amazed at how old people of my age are.....

HeadCheese
Plano, Texas

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
May 4, 2012 - 8:15 am
Forum Posts: 517
15sp_Permalink sp_Print

Glad you folks like it. Sorry to be so absent of late, but it (almost) couldn't be helped.

Hopefully, the Violaman.com site will pick up a bit as a result of the videos. We need more active participation and lessons to keep any new members that join as a result.

Also ... erm ... I could use a few votes when the time comes ...

embarassedcrossedfingersembarassed

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Jim Dunleavy
Guest(s) 62
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming fryserisnon8, Shell, Schaick, GlassTownCur, Violinista Italiano, VirginViolinist, CarolineNH, Cearbhael, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7850
ABitRusty: 3922
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2438
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2159
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31676
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10611
Newest Members:
l2t, johnAus, DavisVance322423, alicedcoz258, Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16433, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5369