Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Fiddlerman White Christmas Virtual Group Project
Fiddlerman White Christmas Virtual Group Project
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (61 votes) 
Ilona
Finland
Members

Regulars
October 30, 2021 - 11:24 am
Forum Posts: 298
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
81sp_Permalink sp_Print

@ELCBK 

The lowest string on cello is C. In measure 18 there is G which is under that. 

Everything else with the cello parts is ok. 

But one question: Can I play violin part 1 on my cello and join with that video? I just tried it and it actually sounds pretty nice. 😊

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
October 30, 2021 - 11:38 am
Forum Posts: 7828
82sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Ilona -

The lower G may be for the Double Bass Players that join - you may need to play up an octave (or omit if a problem)? 

I think your 1st Violin idea is great, but I don't want to mess anything up. 

It's ALL up to Fiddlerman, so hopefully @BillyG and @Fiddlerman see this! 

Ilona said
@ELCBK 

The lowest string on cello is C. In measure 18 (Cello part 4) there is G which is under that. 

But one question: Can I play violin part 1 on my cello and join with that video? I just tried it and it actually sounds pretty nice. 😊

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
October 30, 2021 - 12:09 pm
Forum Posts: 3744
83sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ilona said
Houston, we have a problem!

Cello part 4, measure 18. 🤔

@Ilona and indeed @ELCBK 's response -

I hadn't noticed that myself ( but I shall check it later ) - HOWEVER - your own suggestion is PERFECT....  Play an octave up (for the problematic note/s) or, indeed

- another suggestion -

As I said before to someone else on an earlier project with a similar issue on a viola part - "you are not soloing - so improvise-within-reasonable-limits" - i.e an octave up - or - simply "steal" an accessible note from ANY of the other parts... it will ALL MELD IN IN THE MIX-DOWN of possibly 50, 70, 100 audio tracks !!!!   Trust me Ilona - that will be absolutely fine !!!!!

Kind of busy here these days ( I usually go through ALL parts from Pierre, but this time I was just concentrating on the overall click and score (on vln parts) - so - I had not noticed that particular issue ) but as I say - I'll check it out - and I'm SURE you are right.....

Go for it - and TY so much for contributing !!!! It's appreciated 

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

BillyG
October 30, 2021 - 12:41 pm

@Ilona @Fiddlerman @ELCBK @ all other cello-parts-players -

Ilona is perfectly correct - finally ( !! ) got around to it - yes, the note in question in bar 18 is clearly out-of-normal range for cello.....

Basically, as I mentioned in my post above - as an individual player, your own, personal choice is fine.   It can be any of the possible, meaningful "choices" over "difficult" ( or in this case impossible ) to-play notes .   Exactly -(1)  take another voice (like viola or violin) and play THAT in your appropriate register - OR (2) which can be better - as suggested in previous post above - pick some other "accessible/playable" note that fits in with the harmonic structure JUST for that occasional note (i.e. "use a note, even an octave up on the cello part, that "belongs" to the arrangement)  then just continue with the part in the scored, normal register for the instrument.

Do any of the two suggestions above and - THAT WILL BE FINE !!!!  ( and sorry for not noticing this earlier, I'm usually on top of all of this... LOL)

yup, this is the baddy - the red note below...

c3-b-18.JPG

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Katie L
Members

Regulars
October 31, 2021 - 6:26 am
Forum Posts: 1084
85sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a quick question. I’m doing violin 1 do I play to the end of , go back to the start and play to the end of two leaving out one ?

Just want to make sure I’m getting it right !

Thanks , Katie

BillyG
October 31, 2021 - 6:46 am

@Katie L -

Err, I think you've got it right (from what you wrote) - but for absolute clarification  - here you are (Note: (1) the score below shows a "Piano" - that was just for click-track, it *IS* the Vln1 score, and (2), the original score probably does NOT have an "opening repeat" shown on bar 1 - even with it not explicitly shown on bar 1, the repeat shown in bar 32 makes the assumption that in this case, you return to the very start)

So you will play

Bars 1 through 32 inclusive, then bars 1 thru 30 inclusive, then bars 33 thru 37 (which of course is what the .mp3 audio-click-track does)

[ I think that's how you were interpreting it anyway ] 

tiny-score.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Katie L
Members

Regulars
October 31, 2021 - 7:36 am

Thanks that does help and I listened to the click track !!

If I can do this it will be a Christmas miracle !!

BillyG
October 31, 2021 - 8:15 am
88sp_Permalink sp_Print

thumbs-up

Mouse
October 31, 2021 - 9:43 am
Forum Posts: 5359
89sp_Permalink sp_Print

Adding the link to the page with all the information again. It is easier than scrolling around pages for the  link:

White Christmas

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
November 1, 2021 - 6:31 pm

Confused Head Scratching Emoticons

...pretty weird I happened upon these by accident on YouTube - instead of the Home page, or here on the forum!   

2021 Chrismas - Group Project Tutorial - 1st part

2nd Part Tutorial

3rd Part Tutorial

4th Part Tutorial

Thank you, Gibbles! 

Btw, I'm subscribed to the Fiddlershop YouTube Channel, but didn't get any notification!

JohnG
Greater Chicagoland
Members

Regulars
November 1, 2021 - 10:32 pm
Forum Posts: 1591
91sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just got added today, but the only notification I see on YouTube is for part 1. There may be a delay in notifications.

The old curmudgeon!

Katie L
Members

Regulars
November 2, 2021 - 10:02 am
92sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you ! So glad to have a tutorial to watch !! But playing it through twice! Not sure I will be able to do that I’ll give it my best shot !

Katie L
Members

Regulars
November 3, 2021 - 3:34 pm
93sp_Permalink sp_Print

I actually thought playing twice meant playing it four times!!! That’s how bad my music reading is! I’m so relieved ! I thought play once with the 1 section and play again with the 2 section then play all that a second time !! We’d all be asleep if I did that ha ha!!

Katmom

Members
November 6, 2021 - 12:58 pm
Forum Posts: 1
94sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello,

For Violin 1, would you consider writing in trills like the voice of Bing Crosby did in the original White Christmas.  If not, can we just add on our own?

thanks,

Katmom

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
November 6, 2021 - 5:36 pm
95sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Katmom -

Welcome to the Fiddlerman Forum! 

You need to follow the click-track and the score - or you'll be the only on one different. 

The deadline is the end of the month, but we don't know a whole lot about the recommended singing for this.  You might be able to have a little fun there. 

Fiddlerman will hopefully be back this next week, to find out! 

https://www.montanaseniornews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/ENT_WhiteChristmas.jpg

Glad you are joining us! 

- Emily

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
November 8, 2021 - 12:29 pm
Forum Posts: 16430
96sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ilona said
@ELCBK 

The lowest string on cello is C. In measure 18 there is G which is under that. 

Sorry Ilona. I'll fix that. 

I prefer to say no on playing violin 1. I feel that the cello should be the bass line, bottom part.... Sorry, I just think it will all sound better this way.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

AndieKae
Members
November 9, 2021 - 4:23 pm
Forum Posts: 55
97sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yayyy! Thank you for the tutorials! I've been struggling. 😭 This has helped me so much. 

Now if I can get a little direction for singing, cuz my imagination is running wild and may be having too much fun coming up with variations. 😆 I'll go through the thread again, anyway. I thought I saw something about when to sing and when it was violin only, but I think it was unofficial. 

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression."

Algernon Moncrieff (Oscar Wilde's "The Importance of Being Earnest")

Mouse
November 9, 2021 - 5:06 pm
98sp_Permalink sp_Print

@AndieKae  said

Now if I can get a little direction for singing, cuz my imagination is running wild and may be having too much fun coming up with variations. 😆 I'll go through the thread again, anyway. I thought I saw something about when to sing and when it was violin only, but I think it was unofficial. 

You need to hold back in your imagination and variations. There are other singers and you all need to be together and with the instrumental. I mentioned to Fiddlerman that the vocals need direction and exact lyrics. He is getting back. I will contact him again if we don’t see anything in a couple days.

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
November 12, 2021 - 8:15 am
Forum Posts: 16430

Fashionandfiddle said
This is probably a silly question because I'm not sure I have heard any lyric variations, but for the singing part but just wanted to check that the following is correct:

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the tree tops glisten
And children listen
To hear sleigh bells in the snow,

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
With every Christmas card I write
May your days be merry and bright
And may all your Christmas' be white

That is what I believe to be the correct "Bing Cosby" lyrics, except perhaps ("Christmases" be white) at the end.  Let's go with that.
I'll post them on the project page. Thanks for bringing it up.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Mouse
November 12, 2021 - 10:18 am
100sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Fiddlerman There were also a couple other questions: 

1. Can insrrumentalists adding their own trills, etc. ? See post 94 - Katmom

2. Vocalist instructions as far as their own embellishments, etc, Post 98, AndieKae

Thank you.

The Bumblebee Flies!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 76
Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Shell, Squiryl, GlassTownCur, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7828
ABitRusty: 3921
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2435
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2154
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31673
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
alicedcoz258, Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5359