Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Fiddlerman White Christmas Virtual Group Project
Fiddlerman White Christmas Virtual Group Project
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (61 votes) 
Jim Dunleavy
United Kingdom
Members

Regulars
December 1, 2021 - 9:58 am
Forum Posts: 886
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
141sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just posting to say that my understanding is that Fiddlerman will be sending acknowledgement emails for all submissions to confirm receipt (he did for mine anyway, which was only about 72MB so no problem with size).

Only once you have that email back can you be sure he has your file.

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
December 1, 2021 - 10:27 am
Forum Posts: 3744

Thanks, Jim!  That's clear - there were thoughts it might be automatic, but that's good to know!

Anyways, I've done a few practise run-throughs (from the click-track and an on-screen animated score using MuseScore), and I thought it would be interesting to do a playback of my audio against Michael's tutorial ( vln 1 )

I never asked permission so I'm not re-posting his video - but I wanted to look at my efforts in Audacity, and compare to a much more accomplished player.  The bad bits (minor intonation issue in a couple of places, and clear timing issues in another couple) are ALL MINE LOL !!!  Also, I wimped out on the octave-up second time through, I left that one to Gibbles - I just played in the original octave as scored......

So, here's how it came out....  A couple more takes and ATTENTION TO TIMING Bill, and it'll be not too bad...  (D'Oh, we're all so self critical!)

**EDIT** - someone asked "Why ???" LOL - well - apart from the obvious reason, Audacity can tell us quite a lot (and teach us how an accomplished player approaches this piece) .  You can see some of O.G's technique come through in the "carefully crafted" approach to certain notes, how the attack (volume level build-up) is controlled, the long sustains, the bow-direction change on one of these long sustains as well, the use of vibrato (evident on the trace) and so on.....  That gives us "clues" about our own technique, and where small, but subtle improvements can improve our own playing ( well, at least to recognise where our limitations are, how we can improve, and work on aspects of playing which currently elude us..... ) 

Just a "for instance", one of the things my trace shows is apparent "drop-outs" or periods of apparent silence between connected phrases - yes - my bow was still moving, but FAR too little pressure ( I could just hear it, and yes, the mic picked it up, but it is so quiet it "disappears" when scaled down to fit the trace window - take-away - "be more confident and fluid with the bow on long sustains Bill..."  see ?)

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

Mouse
December 1, 2021 - 3:41 pm
Forum Posts: 5296
143sp_Permalink sp_Print

Okay, I just talked to Fiddlerman. He is working on it. 

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

Danie
NB Canada

Members
December 2, 2021 - 4:53 am
Forum Posts: 14
144sp_Permalink sp_Print

SharonC said

Unfretted said

Oh, @SharonC, if you would be kind enough to explain how you converted your .mov file to mp4 I would be so appreciative.

I currently use video editing software called Movavi on my Windows computer to do this. 

I’ve also used a free MOV to MP4 converter that I downloaded to my Windows computer. 

In both these cases, I’ve copied my files from my Ipad onto my Windows computer, & did the conversion on my Windows computer.

There may be other folks on here that are smarter about how to do this directly from Ipad/Mac/Iphone? If that's what you're trying to do.

@SharonC Thank you for your post.  I was having trouble posting and ended up down loading an app.  I don't have a YT account and I'm not sure how to go about it.  (Your talking to an old girl here, what can I say).  I have no idea, but any way was able to convert my file to MP4.  The size on the other hand, is another story.   I was not able to downsize, but I was able to submit violin 1.   I hope it went, but I'm not sure, it was a big file, as it took a long time to download in the space where Fiddlerman has on his project page.  That was last night AST 6 PM.  No email confirmation yet.  Thanks to Jimmy's input about confirmation email.  

By the way, I love how everyone is so very helpful here.   Thank you!!!

Danie
NB Canada

Members
December 2, 2021 - 4:56 am
145sp_Permalink sp_Print

@SharonC 

One question, how did you down load your file from your Ipad to your computer?

Danie
NB Canada

Members
December 2, 2021 - 5:14 am
146sp_Permalink sp_Print

BillyG said
Thanks, Jim!  That's clear - there were thoughts it might be automatic, but that's good to know!

Anyways, I've done a few practise run-throughs (from the click-track and an on-screen animated score using MuseScore), and I thought it would be interesting to do a playback of my audio against Michael's tutorial ( vln 1 )

I never asked permission so I'm not re-posting his video - but I wanted to look at my efforts in Audacity, and compare to a much more accomplished player.  The bad bits (minor intonation issue in a couple of places, and clear timing issues in another couple) are ALL MINE LOL !!!  Also, I wimped out on the octave-up second time through, I left that one to Gibbles - I just played in the original octave as scored......

So, here's how it came out....  A couple more takes and ATTENTION TO TIMING Bill, and it'll be not too bad...  (D'Oh, we're all so self critical!)

**EDIT** - someone asked "Why ???" LOL - well - apart from the obvious reason, Audacity can tell us quite a lot (and teach us how an accomplished player approaches this piece) .  You can see some of O.G's technique come through in the "carefully crafted" approach to certain notes, how the attack (volume level build-up) is controlled, the long sustains, the bow-direction change on one of these long sustains as well, the use of vibrato (evident on the trace) and so on.....  That gives us "clues" about our own technique, and where small, but subtle improvements can improve our own playing ( well, at least to recognise where our limitations are, how we can improve, and work on aspects of playing which currently elude us..... ) 

Just a "for instance", one of the things my trace shows is apparent "drop-outs" or periods of apparent silence between connected phrases - yes - my bow was still moving, but FAR too little pressure ( I could just hear it, and yes, the mic picked it up, but it is so quiet it "disappears" when scaled down to fit the trace window - take-away - "be more confident and fluid with the bow on long sustains Bill..."  see ?)

beautiful   and well done.

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
December 2, 2021 - 7:10 am
Forum Posts: 7718

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-do0ookap9x/images/stencil/500x659/products/7957/9585/apiao7l95__89385.1509734523.jpg?c=2

@Danie -

About using YouTube - if you have a Google account, you can sign into YouTube with it. 

I easily 'share' videos from my phone to YouTube (and keep them private), but here is video help for you to upload your videos. 

https://fg-a.com/christmas-merry/1-merry-christmas-glitter-2018.gif

@BillyG -

Your comparison study with Audacity is VERY COOL!

- Emily

BillyG
December 2, 2021 - 7:56 am
148sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Danie @ELCBK - ty for the comments !

Something came to mind regarding file-sizes (until we know if there is a changed limit) - and that is - having mentioned YouTube there IS this possibility ( and it will depend on what device and/or app you are using to record ) - BUT - quite commonly there are options to create an mp4 file specifically for upload to YouTube.

If you have such an option available on whatever device or app you are using, you could select the output format as one of the YT options - here's what my video capture and editing software provides by default - 

yt-settings.JPGImage Enlarger

I typically use the 1280 x 720px setting, and, regardless of the resolution the video was recorded at (higher or indeed lower) the app re-formats it to the chosen YT format.  I have a number of videos on YT using that specific setting, and most 3 minute videos are in the region of 75 to 80 MByte. In actual fact, the video I posted above is only about 9Mbytes in size in the 1280 x 720 YT format - that's because the FFMPEG encoder mechanism always attempts to minimise the overall video size both by "eliminating" unchanged areas (so if there is no movement, or very little, it only encodes the video "difference or change information" relative to the preceding frame, rather than encoding each and every frame as a 1280 x 720 "image")

Of course, once in YT format, you don't actually HAVE to upload it to YT - you can use THAT file to submit for the project !  It will be perfect.

I have no idea if that is useful to anyone or not - just mentioning it.....

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
December 2, 2021 - 8:25 am
Forum Posts: 7718
149sp_Permalink sp_Print

Submitting Video problem is fixed! 

Thank you, Fiddlerman!

❄️ Deadline ❄️

❄️ Monday, December 6th! ❄️

2021 White Christmas GP

1st Part Tutorial

2nd Part Tutorial

3rd Part Tutorial

4th Part Tutorial

WATCH THESE - there are important tips included!!!

Thank you, Gibbles!  

❄️ LYRICS ❄️

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the tree tops glisten
And children listen
To hear sleigh bells in the snow,

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
With every Christmas card I write
May your days be merry and bright
And may all your Christmases be white
SharonC
Members

Regulars
December 2, 2021 - 9:28 am
Forum Posts: 1517
150sp_Permalink sp_Print

Danie said
@SharonC 

I use a software to connect wirelessly through my network. Less complicated way is to connect your Ipad directly to your PC via USB cable. I've attached some instructions.

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Characterize people by their actions and you will never be fooled by their words.

Mouse
December 2, 2021 - 9:43 am
151sp_Permalink sp_Print

UPDATE:

Fiddlerman texted me that he has fixed the problem with submitting the videos.

Please RESUBMIT if you submitted and DID NOT receive a confirmation email.

If you did NOT receive the confirmation email, your videos were not received by Fiddlerman, even if the web page said it was submitted.

Thank you for your patience and participation.

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
December 2, 2021 - 4:01 pm
Forum Posts: 16429
152sp_Permalink sp_Print

I deleted the screenshots and discussion about those videos without titles on them since I now have it all figured out.

Just a reminder for all of you to name your files after the name you would like to have for credits, and the part that you are playing.

For example, Violin 1 Fiddlerman.MP4

Or Violin_1_Fiddlerman.MP4

You get the gist!!!!!!

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Danie
NB Canada

Members
December 2, 2021 - 4:18 pm
153sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fiddlerman said
I deleted the screenshots and discussion about those videos without titles on them since I now have it all figured out.

Just a reminder for all of you to name your files after the name you would like to have for credits, and the part that you are playing.

For example, Violin 1 Fiddlerman.MP4

Or Violin_1_Fiddlerman.MP4

You get the gist!!!!!!

Yes, and again, thanks for everything.   I believe you know I did Violin 1.  So glad this clich is fixed.   Merry Christmas to you and your family.   By the way, I need another violin.   I will talk to one of your staff in the New Year.  

Danie
NB Canada

Members
December 3, 2021 - 4:35 am
154sp_Permalink sp_Print

SharonC said rnrnDanie said @SharonC rnrnOne question, how did you down load your file from your Ipad to your computer?rnrn  rnrnrnI use a software to connect wirelessly through my network. Less complicated way is to connect your Ipad directly to your PC via USB cable. I've attached some instructions.rn  rnThank you SharonC rnI qppreciate all your info.

Danie
NB Canada

Members
December 3, 2021 - 6:09 am
155sp_Permalink sp_Print

SharonC said

Danie said

@SharonC 

I use a software to connect wirelessly through my network. Less complicated way is to connect your Ipad directly to your PC via USB cable. I've attached some instructions.

@SharonC 

Thank you, I have copied your info.   Will save it . 

BillyG
December 3, 2021 - 11:10 am

Ah well, after the usual hiatus (well, different from the usual - my work-horse laptop is "busy" with other things right now that I can't interrupt, and I had to go find and re-register the video editor and all sorts of other stuff to record on a different machine Grrrrrr.....) - and after a few practise takes, finally got it submitted....  Cool.

Out of passing interest, file size was 71MBytes at 1280 x 720 pix (same format size as YT uses, perfect....)  

AnnyJ
Members

Regulars
December 3, 2021 - 12:18 pm
Forum Posts: 262
157sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ugh, as usual mine didn't turn out as good as I had hoped, not even close (shaking bow, running out of sound, wrong or lacking dynamics, etc + I forgot about the 10 sec extra before and after playing. I hope I get another chance to record something better tomorrow and that the computer will cooperate. violin-student

Happy 2nd Advent weekend everyonechristmascandlechristmascandle

It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself. Johann S.Bach

BillyG
December 3, 2021 - 1:00 pm
158sp_Permalink sp_Print

@AnnyJ - ahhh, these things happen!   But hey - even if you don't manage a "what-to-your-ear is a better take" - please submit what you have.

Honestly, you've put the effort in, and your part will be mixed down with MANY others, and "major imperfections" (if any) can be muted, or volume-reduced in the mix.  So long as your timing and intonation is close to the click track it can most likely be used. Don't feel bad about it - have a shot at as I say "what-to-your-ear" is a better take, but if time runs out, just submit what you have !! devil-violindancingbunny_pole_dancerit's all good !

Mouse
December 3, 2021 - 1:36 pm
159sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fiddlerman received my cello 3. I was going to be skipping this one, but I managed to do it! 

The Bumblebee Flies!

Fashionandfiddle
UK
Members
December 4, 2021 - 8:50 am
Forum Posts: 49
160sp_Permalink sp_Print

How long should it take for an email to come through to acknowledge the file was received, someone mentioned it wasn't automated so if it takes a while that's ok? I just wanted to check in case I needed to re-submit. 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Mark
Guest(s) 88
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today RCall
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, Ms-G, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, Bobby, Elaisa, Michael Browder, EBurrell, Gordon Shumway, ViolinD, dougga, MoonShadows, Astandane, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7718
ABitRusty: 3896
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2422
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2138
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31657
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10581
Newest Members:
bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo, rubble_b, mariachi, avagrey92, Alison, David
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5296