Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
German Violin $300
Otto Jos Klier Violin
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (1 votes) 
ratvn
Kent, Washington USA

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
January 19, 2013 - 9:53 pm
Forum Posts: 550
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
21sp_Permalink sp_Print

VinceKnight said
 Something that everyone in the community gets to use and maybe leave their mark on with upgrades or tweaks.

...or cracks! lol.

Yes, that is a great idea.

And by the way do you have any broken violin that needed to be fixed as we have several luthier members here. It could travel to their places first. LOL

cheers

scotty

Advanced member
Members
January 19, 2013 - 9:55 pm
Forum Posts: 55
22sp_Permalink sp_Print

VinceKnight said
OMG.  I know what we we need and Ratvn and Scotty gave me the idea for it.  It will take a little time and a little extra dough BUT.  We need a Fiddlerman Community Violin or Viola!  Each person keeps it for 3-4 months or so (Maybe longer maybe shorter, probably no more than 6) then they Ship it off to the next member.  Rinse Repeat.  It would be the Traveling Fiddlerman Fiddle.  Something that everyone in the community gets to use and maybe leave their mark on with upgrades or tweaks.

What do you all think?!?!

-Dennis

Great Idea!! I have a new fiddle from fiddler man coming to me, so I won't need my student violin. So that is why I offered it for free to Jareda if he is able to cancel his order.  I have already put the first upgrade on this cremona..pro-arte strings from Fiddlershop, it sounds good! I am sure others could upgrade it even more. I just hate to see people ordering $100 violins when they should save up more and get a much nicer one. For $550 they could get a nice korh 550!

VinceKnight
Middlfield, Ohio
Members
January 19, 2013 - 9:58 pm
Forum Posts: 86
23sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fortunately I don't have ANY Violins :) I have a viola! (Sorry Dark at Heart)  But you do have a good point with doing work "In House" so to speak with our own Luthier Members :D .

-Dennis

us-4240 sweden-4231 norway-4219 new_zealand-4212 italy-4204 ireland-4202 wales-4241 france-4196 united_kingdom-4178 canadian_flag-4156 aussie_flag

The pack depends upon the wolf, and the wolf depends upon the pack. The loss of one means the destruction of the other.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
January 20, 2013 - 2:59 pm
Forum Posts: 16430
24sp_Permalink sp_Print

Naska, if you want to do the playing while bungee jumping experiment, I'll donate a cheap violin for the purpose. You only need to have several of your friends video tape the whole event and preferably a mic and maybe small camera wired to your body for extra effects and let me post it on my youtube channel for publicity.
You can probably secure the violin to your body or harness as a safety measure as well. It's all up to you. I do not however take any responsibility if this thing goes sour. :-(
However, knowing that you jump anyway, I don't think that this can endanger you more than normal jumps. IMO.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Mad_Wed
Russia, Tatarstan rep. Kazan city
Members

Regulars
January 20, 2013 - 4:17 pm
Forum Posts: 2849
25sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was thinking about this several times, but there are safety rules. Jumper is not allowed to have with him any loosen things. Even hairs should preferably be hidden

=( 

No space for bowing anyway. While one stands on the exit - the rope is down, while jumping - it goes up, so i'd have to quickly change the bow position according to the rope position in about 0.2 of second =) I don't have such a great coordination =)rofl

You've seen that video, but just for an example of what happends to the rope:

Jump

dionysia
Members

Regulars
January 20, 2013 - 5:37 pm
Forum Posts: 666
26sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, Naska - you just have to find a harness that attaches BEHIND you so you have room to fiddle!! I imagine even you would have difficulty with smooth bowing at the end of a bungee line though.

ftufc
SoCal
Members

Regulars
January 21, 2013 - 12:30 am
Forum Posts: 727
27sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah!!!  I was just teasing Naska about jumping while playing!!!  We clearly DON'T want to see a video of our sweet Naska being speared with a violin bow, lol.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
January 21, 2013 - 6:49 am
Forum Posts: 16430
28sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had the exact same thought of having the harness attached backwards. LOL
Also, you can block all doors on the building and have one or more security guys downstairs keeping others from getting close during the jump. smile
The real question is, what would you play on the way down? LOL

Seriously though. Don't do it. smile

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

ftufc
SoCal
Members

Regulars
January 21, 2013 - 9:44 am
29sp_Permalink sp_Print

Haaaaa!  That's pretty funny Barry, lmao.

VinceKnight
Middlfield, Ohio
Members
January 21, 2013 - 10:25 am
30sp_Permalink sp_Print

Playing Free Falling while Bungee jumping would definitely be kind of Epic :D

serenade

-Dennis

The pack depends upon the wolf, and the wolf depends upon the pack. The loss of one means the destruction of the other.

Fiddlestix
Michigan, USA

King
Members

Regulars
January 28, 2013 - 12:05 pm
Forum Posts: 2647
31sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good to hear, Barry, I'm sure she'll love it, it's a beauty.

Mad_Wed
Members

Regulars
January 29, 2013 - 5:05 pm
32sp_Permalink sp_Print

Barry said
"The real question is, what would you play on the way down? LOL "

I believe i need to jump from a satellite, to have enogh time to play it all roflol

ftufc
SoCal
Members

Regulars
January 29, 2013 - 8:49 pm
33sp_Permalink sp_Print

HAAAAAAAAAA!  Naska!  Be the first woman to skydive from outerspace!

Mad_Wed
Members

Regulars
January 30, 2013 - 1:52 pm
34sp_Permalink sp_Print

ftufc said
HAAAAAAAAAA!  Naska!  Be the first woman to skydive from outerspace!

Hahahaaaa! Noooo! My life is precious for me as a memory!roflroflrofl

Tyberius
Members

Regulars
February 10, 2013 - 2:21 pm
Forum Posts: 555

If Tom Petty is involved, specifically if he's expelling air through his vocal chords, I'd prefer to brush my teeth with my dremmel then listen. Great lyrics, but for me, it ends there with him.

What song would I play, "Queen : Another one bites the dust".. roflol

Maybe "Steve Miller : Fly like an Eagle"

I am not sure the instrument would make the journey for near space. There might be a strong enough vacuum or venturi effect to destroy the top plate. It might just whistle as the air passed over the f holes until it just came apart. Then again with drag, air resistance and air density, it will experience a variable terminal velocity during the decent. It may not even be controllable where you put it or keep it while playing. Maybe the mountain fiddle hold where you keep it the bend of your arm against your chest might be your best bet.

edit

to keep this post on track, of course you would be using the German $300 Violin facepalm

"I find your lack of Fiddle, disturbing" - Darth Vader

Mad_Wed
Members

Regulars
February 10, 2013 - 2:27 pm
36sp_Permalink sp_Print

Barry said
Checked on the violin:

Your Item's Status Your item cleared customs in RUSSIA at 12:54 am on February 10, 2013.

Have you got it yet, if not, should be soon   birthday-cake

Hahahahaha! funny! with "USPS" it takes at least 5 weeks to get here =)

Mad_Wed
Members

Regulars
February 10, 2013 - 2:29 pm
37sp_Permalink sp_Print

x_Tyberius_x said

I am not sure the instrument would make the journey for near space. There might be a strong enough vacuum or venturi effect to destroy the top plate. It might just whistle as the air passed over the f holes until it just came apart. Then again with drag, air resistance and air density, it will experience a variable terminal velocity during the decent. It may not even be controllable where you put it or keep it while playing. Maybe the mountain fiddle hold where you keep it the bend of your arm against your chest might be your best bet.

You've just ruined my dream, Tyberius! ruined my dream!

roflol

BUT! Don't forget - there are CF violins! They are durable - so everything is still possible =)

Tyberius
Members

Regulars
February 10, 2013 - 2:39 pm
Forum Posts: 555

sorry about the dream losscry  ;)

Well, at least you too could start to play "another one bites the dust" and be playing as bits and pieces dislodge from your violin. These now free floating pieces, having more resistance and drag would zip past your head probably near 100 miles per hour. The tangle of whipping violin strings (wire) quickly try and lacerate your flight suit and body. the violin neck, which by means of pure terror, you are gripping like a cudgel, is now flapping and beating against your body uncontrollably. your other arm, swinging the bow desperately for help, causes you to lose your delicate balance and you start to tumble out of control. At that point, Tom petty will come back with " Free 'Fallin" as you forget the notes to the song and look for the stop button on your camera. After all, we wouldn't want to send in a video of us playing badly, now would we. crossedfingersbanana

"I find your lack of Fiddle, disturbing" - Darth Vader

suresh
Tuticorin, India

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
February 18, 2013 - 1:30 pm
Forum Posts: 485

VinceKnight said
Playing Free Falling while Bungee jumping would definitely be kind of Epic :D

serenade

-Dennis

Some of you would not have seen it.. Naska doing ropejumping..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?f.....gWpdrs6z5A

And Naska! have you received the German beauty?

If music be the food of love, play on;
Give me excess of it ..(William Shakespeare in Twelfth Night)

VinceKnight
Middlfield, Ohio
Members
February 18, 2013 - 1:46 pm

Well I certainly have a better understanding of Naska's Rope jumps.  it is closer to the monkey swing that I did in Oregon than to Bungee Jumping.

Sadly my jump was not recorded as it was getting dark when I finally took the plunge.

spike-1268

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Gordon Shumway, AndrewH
Guest(s) 65
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Shell, Squiryl, Schaick, GlassTownCur, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7828
ABitRusty: 3921
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2435
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2155
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31673
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
alicedcoz258, Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5359